Options

Smoke Break

Balls187Balls187 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited September 18, 2009 in Street and Documentary
I was in Chicago this past weekend participating in the Chicago Half Marathon. On the way back from picking up our race packets at Navy Pier, I saw this gent taking a few minutes to himself.

So I shot him.

I was walking somewhat fast, and didn't have my camera at the ready, I had to fire from the hip. The original image is actually upside down (my camera is on an RS4, thus it hangs upside down).

I'm not sure why I liked this photo, it's about as inferior a shot as you could get. Maybe it's the angle. Maybe it's because the guy is just smoking and checking his phone. Maybe it's because I never attempt to take a street candids, and I got out of my comfort zone. I suppose it doesn't really matter, because I like it.

Enjoy.
652960000_p6wj2-XL.jpg

http://photos.aballs.com/Travel/Chicago/
I like to make pretty pictures. Maybe one day I'll be good at it.

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 40D
16-35L II, 50F1.4, 50 Macro, 24-105L, 100 Macro
Canon 580EXII, Sigma 500DG ST
Blackrapid RS4
photos.aballs.com

Comments

• Options
    frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2009
    don't know what you mean by inferior .... I think its excellent, the play of the light and his face in shadow makes it all the more interesting IMHO... made me pause a little to take a closer look clap.gif
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    I think the first thing to compliment you on is having seen the shot. Second is having your camera at hand to take it. Third is having hit the shutter release at the right moment. Fantastic work. thumb.gif

It's an aggressive photo visually with the angle and the composition. The conversion looked good on one of my machines, but is a little too contrasty on the machine I'm on right now.

Take more!
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    I think this has crossed out of 'street candid portrait' and into 'art', and it's great. I like it a lot, well done!
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    it's a great shot.thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    Balls187 wrote:
    I was in Chicago this past weekend participating in the Chicago Half Marathon. On the way back from picking up our race packets at Navy Pier, I saw this gent taking a few minutes to himself.

So I shot him.

I was walking somewhat fast, and didn't have my camera at the ready, I had to fire from the hip. The original image is actually upside down (my camera is on an RS4, thus it hangs upside down).

I'm not sure why I liked this photo, it's about as inferior a shot as you could get. Maybe it's the angle. Maybe it's because the guy is just smoking and checking his phone. Maybe it's because I never attempt to take a street candids, and I got out of my comfort zone. I suppose it doesn't really matter, because I like it.

Enjoy.

Greaet subject, light, general composition; great 'seeing.' But the radical angle kills it for me. It's one thing to be a bit off kilter under the circumstances you describe, or any circumstances involving a quick street shot. But this is just too much.
    However, don't worry about the slight blur, or any of the other 'imperfections' - they all work.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed