Smug Wallet - Iphone App

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    As long as we're doing feature requests...
    ...option to turn off Ken Burns effect (unless I missed where it is)
    ...option to have SmugWallet open to the last photo viewed, instead of back to the root where you now have to dig all the way back down to the gallery you just looked at a minute ago

Even now, though, $2.99 is a bargain for this app, I love it!
  • mattwrightmattwright Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    ...option to turn off Ken Burns effect (unless I missed where it is)
    Not the first request for this. What don't you like about the effect and what would you prefer instead?
    colourbox wrote:
    ...option to have SmugWallet open to the last photo viewed, instead of back to the root where you now have to dig all the way back down to the gallery you just looked at a minute ago
    Good idea! Thanks,

Matt
    mattwright wrote:
    Not the first request for this. What don't you like about the effect and what would you prefer instead?

First off, I use and love the Ken Burns effect on the slide show that plays back from a computer onto my big flatscreen LCD HDTV. Works great for me there. But somehow it just doesn't work for me on the iPhone. It could be the short slide duration, or that your eye is already working hard enough to see the tiny images that adding motion just stresses out the eye more. One big thing I noticed: It's not fun to track the switch from a horizontal to vertical image when Ken Burns is on, because your eye tries to read the second image while at the same time adjusting for the fact that you have two semitransparent images both sliding and zooming thanks to Ken Burns, and on top of all that, the new image is rotated 90 degrees! By the time my eye gets oriented to the new image, it's already fading into the next image.

What I would prefer is a simple crossfade, and the addition of slide duration control.

I might be OK with Ken Burns if it worked like it does on a computer: All photos are locked to the same orientation, and the duration/transition speed is controllable. You could even improve on Mac OS X Ken Burns. It has a problem where you sometimes don't see much of a vertical photo because its random panning goes across the short side. If you set it so that photos are always panned along the long side, it would actually work better than the Mac's version.

Thanks for listening! thumb.gif
    Thanks for the feedback colourbox. It is very helpful and I will try to work some of it into a future version!

Matt
  • BMMImagesBMMImages Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    I updated the app, but I'm still having sync issues. It downloaded all but 60 of my images (only have about 400 total), and then it started doing that infinite downloading thing... I've let it run all the way up to "Photo 2000" before pausing and quitting because it never downloads my images, just keeps spooling.

Any ideas? Thanks!
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    BMMImages wrote:
    I updated the app, but I'm still having sync issues. It downloaded all but 60 of my images (only have about 400 total), and then it started doing that infinite downloading thing... I've let it run all the way up to "Photo 2000" before pausing and quitting because it never downloads my images, just keeps spooling.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Try what I did above - toggle off all galleries. Quit the app. Then toggle back on.
    E
    eoren1 wrote:
    Try what I did above - toggle off all galleries. Quit the app. Then toggle back on.

Yeah, this is what I would suggest. Toggle the gallery or category that is causing problems off and then on (you shouldn't need to quit app). Then go back to Sync screen and click "Search for Photos". Then try syncing again. If there are still problems, email me directly with your username and describe which gallery it is: support@midnightmobility.com.

Matt
    edited September 18, 2009
    Sorry, I have one more feature request: An option to toggle hidden photos, to duplicate the experience of a non-logged-in visitor.

I was showing a gallery to someone in SmugWallet and realized they were seeing all 27 photos in the gallery, which means they were also seeing the "hidden" second-string photos instead of just the polished, trimmed-down 21-photo sequence seen by non-logged-in visitors. Didn't see a way to show just the non-hidden photos in SmugWallet.
    edited September 18, 2009
    colourbox wrote:
    Sorry, I have one more feature request: An option to toggle hidden photos, to duplicate the experience of a non-logged-in visitor.

Good one, added to the list.

Matt
  • phalvorsonphalvorson Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    zoom feature
    To the dev,

I was so excited about this app and was about to buy it on the store and then I read the app store comments carefully....

I would purchase this app immediately if there was an option to zoom into a photo. I am also aware there are those that have thousands of photos and don't want said option, because their portable library would take up significantly more space. Finally I wouldn't be happy with a zooming feature that required a network connection, the immediacy of viewing local photos is a real plus for many reasons.

I'd suggest a per gallery sync preference setting that defaulted to 480 x XXX pixels as currently implemented, and then had 2 - 4 optional choices for larger sizes. x2 x4, etc.

I wonder how many app store "lurkers" desire a zoom feature?

Thanks for participating in this forum,
    Palmer

http://www.palmerhalvorson.com
    Palmer Halvorson
    www.palmerhalvorson.com
  • chinesealbumartchinesealbumart Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 23, 2009
    Just bought the app and spent whole night downloading 10,000+ photos (only take up 700+MB).

One question. It is not possible to email a particular photo in the Smugwallet right ? I dun see any way to do so...
    One question. It is not possible to email a particular photo in the Smugwallet right ?

In-app photo attachment on an email is not currently possible. You can either email the links to the photos on SmugMug or you can save the photos from SmugWallet to the camera roll and then email the photos themselves from the default Photo app.

In-app photo attachment on an email is a feature I hope to add to a future release.

Matt
  • derfderf Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    I usually just press the button on top and the home button at the same time to take a screenshot and then send it to an email once in the camera roll. Then I delete. It works really well for meclap.gif
    phalvorson wrote:
    I'd suggest a per gallery sync preference setting that defaulted to 480 x XXX pixels as currently implemented, and then had 2 - 4 optional choices for larger sizes. x2 x4, etc.

I would rather be able to go to the actual page on the site to work with the actual image online....I do not want bigger pictures on my Iphone, but I do understand when you said Preferences setting for default size.... the thing is that you can usually get a wifi or 3g connection for online where as making the images larger on the Iphone would take up much more space for a small amount of photos.

Of course if it was implemented, I could just opt not to make the sizes bigger.....Just saying a click to the actual image online I think would be great.
  • bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    Great app - love the functionality - nice work Matt.

Now a request - You can only enable galleries by category so it is top down - would love to be able to skip a level. What I mean.:

I shoot sports and have categories set up by sport (like soccer) which I have 40 or so sun-cats and 100s of galleries - If enable the category to get to the subcategory it detects all new galleries and I add every week. Instead - if I could do the subcategory or just the gallery it would be great. Ability to do bottom up I guess...
    bkatz wrote:
    I shoot sports and have categories set up by sport (like soccer) which I have 40 or so sun-cats and 100s of galleries - If enable the category to get to the subcategory it detects all new galleries and I add every week. Instead - if I could do the subcategory or just the gallery it would be great. Ability to do bottom up I guess...

Hrmm... Maybe I'm confused, but if you have a category synced, you can drill into it on the settings screen and then toggle specific subcategories and galleries themselves off. True, it will recognize any new galleries added to a synced category/subcategory combination, but it will ignore them for those subcategories that are not set to sync.

If you don't want to download the photos, once you have pressed the "Search for Photos" button, which is where it detects new galleries and photos, you can go to the settings screen to turn off the sync for those galleries you don't want. I am considering something that would alert when new galleries are found so you can decide on the spot whether to sync them or not.

Matt
  • bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    mattwright wrote:
    Hrmm... Maybe I'm confused, but if you have a category synced, you can drill into it on the settings screen and then toggle specific subcategories and galleries themselves off. True, it will recognize any new galleries added to a synced category/subcategory combination, but it will ignore them for those subcategories that are not set to sync.

If you don't want to download the photos, once you have pressed the "Search for Photos" button, which is where it detects new galleries and photos, you can go to the settings screen to turn off the sync for those galleries you don't want. I am considering something that would alert when new galleries are found so you can decide on the spot whether to sync them or not.

Matt

I want to get to a sub-category without turning on a category. For instance:
    Soccer
    --Town 1
    --Town 2
    --Town 100

I want to go to town 56 and 79 and sync them without having to turn off all of towns 1 - 100

and then the same with galleries in a town (I have some towns with 50 ~ 60 galleries)

so instead of turning all off except the one I want the choice to only turn on the ones I want.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Sounds like what's needed is a unselect all button for the subcat and gallery level.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited September 26, 2009
    mattwright wrote:

You can either email the links to the photos on SmugMug or you can save the photos from SmugWallet to the camera roll and then email the photos themselves from the default Photo app.

Matt

How do I do this ? :)

I look at the app and I cannot find a way to email the link or save the photos from Smugwallet to camera roll :)
    edited September 26, 2009
    How do I do this ? :)

I look at the app and I cannot find a way to email the link or save the photos from Smugwallet to camera roll :)

Found it :)

Would be nice to able to set a particular photo as the default thumb nail for that gallery. Instead of just the first one. Just an idea.

The app rocks. I bought one. My wife bought one too. Now we can have our daughter's photos everywhere. Your idea of an offline photo app is brilliant.
  • stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    Image quality?
    I love Smugmug and love Smugwallet. I agree with all the comments re Matt's fantastic support and response time. He replies to emails at lightning speed.

I would love the 'option' to download higher resolution images. I find the quality to be just 'ok'. Zoom . . yes please. In fact make it behave like the camera roll as near as possible.

From earlier posts in this thread I see that : -
    Eoren1 has 2762 photos in 36 galleries taking up 173mb = average 62.6k
    Allen has 11759 photos in 305 galleries taking up 724mb = average 61.5k

I have 1338 photos in 46 galleries taking up 19.8mb = average 14.8k ????????

Why is Smugwallet only downloading my images as 14k whereas the norm seems to be circa 60k?
    Are there Smugmug settings I should be tweaking?
    Any thoughts?
    edited September 30, 2009
    Would be nice to able to set a particular photo as the default thumb nail for that gallery. Instead of just the first one. Just an idea.

It should probably integrate with the Feature Photo option in Smugmug if it doesn't already (haven't looked) so if the owner has already set a Feature Photo for a gallery it would use that.
  • wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Anyone has problem with the thumbnails showing up? I am using the Cache method, but the thumbnails still come out one by one on my 3Gs. And every now and then, the thumbnails stop showing up. It sorts of get stuck. I can 'restart' the thumbnail showing up by going into one of the photo and then back out to the tn view. Is this a known bug?
  • twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I've had no problems with the new cache method - love it - has greatly reduced my back up times- use to take 6 horus to back up my phone - which has about 22,000 images - now it about 30-45 minutes.

The initial load of thumbnails is quick but as I scroll down the page - they pop in one by one - but it has always done that - regardless of the phone or version of the app.

I do love this app - one of my favorites - I do wish they would fix the gallery name issue - it runs of the page for some of my gallery names that are long - they need to wrap instead
  • wslamwslam Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Right, yes but on larger albums, the tn stops popping after a while. I can get about 40 to 80 (really seem random) images automatically pop one by one, fairly quickly, then it just hangs...
    edited October 14, 2009
    wslam wrote:
    Anyone has problem with the thumbnails showing up? I am using the Cache method, but the thumbnails still come out one by one on my 3Gs. And every now and then, the thumbnails stop showing up. It sorts of get stuck. I can 'restart' the thumbnail showing up by going into one of the photo and then back out to the tn view. Is this a known bug?
    I haven't had anyone else report this problem, but would like to investigate. Contact support@midnightmobility.com and let me know more details about when it hangs and if it is easy to reproduce. Also, did you have a previous version or was 2.1 the first version of SmugWallet you used?

Thanks,

Matt
    edited October 16, 2009
    I downloaded 17500 photos but for the last week it will crash when trying to update any new photos. Did I break it again? Not going to delete and try again (I learned my lession last time).
    Any ideas (tried to update around 100+ times).
    edited October 16, 2009
    derf wrote:
    I downloaded 17500 photos but for the last week it will crash when trying to update any new photos. Did I break it again? Not going to delete and try again (I learned my lession last time).
    Any ideas (tried to update around 100+ times).

Hi derf,

Send me your SmugMug username to support@midnightmobility.com and I will look into it. There also seems to be a bug with the SmugMug API right now that is returning the wrong category names. I am not sure if that is related or not.

Matt Wright
    Midnight Mobility
    edited October 17, 2009
    I am having that issue too! The photography section is showing up as hobbies...lol
    thanks and I will send you th email now :)
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2009
    Problem downloading for past 2 days.
    This is a recurrence of the prior issue: app tries downloading images but goes up to 7000 or so without actually grabbing any.
    I'll try to uncheck and then add back the galleries but wanted to mention it in case it was a result of some recent changes in the smugmug architecture. I saw that J Friedl's export to smugmug plugin for Lightroom has had some issues the past few days as well.
    E