Options

Yowie-Zowie, caught me an Old Wife Fish!

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited June 16, 2005 in People
Enough with Cherry Ripes already! I heard about Yowies and had seen some. So when I went to buy a cherry ripe I also bought a Yowie. I checked out all the colors carefully, and remembering my daughter saying all the 4-year-olds in preschool liked the color purple best -- I picked up, and rattled, a purple Yowie.

Here's my grandson (he got to eat the chocolate, I got to keep the fish!)
25027404-M.jpg

He's carefully waiting for Grandee to finish taking pictures...

25027405-M.jpg

Yowie looking like a chick emerging from the shell...

25027408-M.jpg

Uncovered, photographed and ready to eat!!!

25027413-M.jpg

The pieces inside the canister inside the Yowie.... ready to put together. Not as easy as it looked. My daughter, with smaller hands than I, gave up! Grandma to the rescue...

25027417-M.jpg

A "beauty shot" 3/4 view

25027421-M.jpg

A straignt on view.

The Old Wife Fish (Enoplosus armatus) is found around ocean reefs off the southern and eastern coasts of Australia.

This could become a passion of mine -- collecting the insides of Yowies!

Comments

• Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2005
    Nice series. I've never heard of Yowies. I'm stunned that they but a toy inside the candy.

Bear
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    It's an Australian candy
    behr655 wrote:
    Nice series. I've never heard of Yowies. I'm stunned that they but a toy inside the candy.

Bear

I had to warn my grandson not to bite hard :):

There is a warning on the label that the candy isn't appropriate for children under three, due to the tiny pieces.

You can shake the Yowie and hear it rattle!

They have websites for collectors who want to exchange duplicates. I wouldn't be surprised if the Australian branch of e-Bay doesn't auction them :):

You might find them if you have a local store selling Australian products. Our local store is around 44 miles away, but I was in the area anyway. They have a website: Australian Products

They sell them in a 6 pack for $12.95 (of course shipping is extra).

At first I thought the name was made up, then I googled it and found this out. "The Yowie is a mythological character in native Australian Aborigine folklore."

And here is a website introducing Yowies!

Yowie Information
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,209 moderator
    edited June 15, 2005
    Dee, that first pic is wonderful! thumb.gif

It not only shows your skill in photography, but the emotion and anticipation for the treat shows through the shot.

Now, as those are for the kids, I hereby request that Cadbury produce something like this for us adult photographers. How about a foil wrapped hollow Cherry Ripe with a canon L lens inside? Sure, it might cost a bit more, but oh, what fun! Perhaps a "kit" lens that we could assemble?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    I haven't processed the Cherry Ripe shots yet...
    David_S85 wrote:
    Dee, that first pic is wonderful! thumb.gif

It not only shows your skill in photography, but the emotion and anticipation for the treat shows through the shot.

Now, as those are for the kids, I hereby request that Cadbury produce something like this for us adult photographers. How about a foil wrapped hollow Cherry Ripe with a canon L lens inside? Sure, it might cost a bit more, but oh, what fun! Perhaps a "kit" lens that we could assemble?

Thank you so much for your comments on the pic of my grandson and the Yowie. He had no idea what to expect -- neither did we, really. I knew there was a "toy" or a "model" of an Australian animal, perhaps endangered, inside the candy. Bit I wasn't prepared to have to put it together! :D:D:D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    love it, you should send it to cadbury's thumb.gif
  • Options
    pepper44pepper44 Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    Those are excellent pictures! I've never heard of this kind of candy, but it's really cool that they put a toy inside like that. I want one!!

-Amy
  • Options
    rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    clap.gifGreat shots! I was gonna say I loved these as a kid, but I will tell the truth and tell you I still love them! :D
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • Options
    kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    terriffic series...and real nice product shot, nice even lighting! very kewl....maybe some more shots of other toys are comming?
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    Wierd, fascinating, and enticing all at the same time. I feel sorry for your grandson having to wait for you to finish playing with the food before he could eat it... rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited June 15, 2005
    good ones Dee thumb.gif it was my son and wanting to keep him young that had me crap a camera in the first place --very nice
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 15, 2005
    How cool Dee thumb.gifthumb A really nice series of shots of that complex piece of chocolate clap.gif (I love the one with your grandson patiently waiting in the BG.....lol)

I'm gonna have to pick up a couple of those for my daughter :D
    Andy and I got to hear Gus explain what a Yowie is firsthand :lol He started out with "I ain't afraid of much, but I am deathly afraid of Yowies" "I'll take on a roomful of blokes no questions, but Yowies send shivers down me spine" :lol4

So Gus, WTF is a Yowie, we asked?

"Ah mate, it's a Yeti or as you Yanks call em, a Bigfoot" "They go after you in the bush" "The abos have thousand year old stories about them and even though no one has captured one, we all know they are for real"

You had to be there to see how serious he was and to hear the story told in his great Ozzie accent (not to mention, more than a few 4 letter words thrown in)....lol I'm sure I didn't do it justice ne_nau.gif But, everytime I hear Yowie, or yowwee, I think of a Bigfoot and Gus' story :D....lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 15, 2005
    Dee, thanks for sharing a great thread but that #1 shot... YOWIE!!! what a fantastic product shot. I bet it's marketable. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    It can be very addictive!
    How cool Dee thumb.gifthumb A really nice series of shots of that complex piece of chocolate clap.gif (I love the one with your grandson patiently waiting in the BG.....lol)

I'm gonna have to pick up a couple of those for my daughter :D
    Andy and I got to hear Gus explain what a Yowie is firsthand :lol He started out with "I ain't afraid of much, but I am deathly afraid of Yowies" "I'll take on a roomful of blokes no questions, but Yowies send shivers down me spine" :lol4

So Gus, WTF is a Yowie, we asked?

"Ah mate, it's a Yeti or as you Yanks call em, a Bigfoot" "They go after you in the bush" "The abos have thousand year old stories about them and even though no one has captured one, we all know they are for real"

You had to be there to see how serious he was and to hear the story told in his great Ozzie accent (not to mention, more than a few 4 letter words thrown in)....lol I'm sure I didn't do it justice ne_nau.gif But, everytime I hear Yowie, or yowwee, I think of a Bigfoot and Gus' story :D....lol

Steve

When I googled Yowie it mentioned Sasquatch, Big Foot, but I bet Gus's live version was most engaging!

I wonder what "accent" Australians like. In the US some of us are ga-ga over a British accent -- but it's not an accent to Australians I wonder if they like or hate American accents?

Well, the next time I'm in the area I'm going to be tempted to pick up a couple more Yowies! My daughter's comment was, "why don't we (USA) have something like this!"

I checked e-bay and they are there being auctioned off! By the way, keep the little insert that comes with the Yowie -- they are collector items too!

I really think Yowies are for adults -- but if you check any of the trade web sites it's obvious the young people love their Yowies and their collections. This all starts to hit when you crack open your Yowie and discover you have a duplicate "toy." Big disappointment, you want a new "toy." So off to the auctions you go, or the trade sites -- but they are mostly in Australia, New Zealand and a few in the UK -- so we Americans are kind of left in the lurch unless some kind Australian takes pity on us and is tired of their Yowies and will mail us some! (hint, hint, hint) mwink.gif

I didn't photograph the little booklet, or the instruction page -- that's when you want to yell Yowie -- I think it took us almost half an hour to put the Old Wife Fish together.

The "mouth" moves, by the way and so does the tail. It's really quite clever. I'm impressed with whoever came up with the idea first of all, and then whoever came up with the molds for each critter. The critters appear to be made in China, while the chocolate is made in Australia (according to the little insert.

I'm off to check the website mentioned in the insert yowie power

So I'm warning you -- this can be as bad as lens lust! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    That was my reaction...
    pepper44 wrote:
    Those are excellent pictures! I've never heard of this kind of candy, but it's really cool that they put a toy inside like that. I want one!!

-Amy

when I heard about them. I didn't have any idea an Australian products store was in my area until this Cherry Ripe madness mwink.gif came about.

My daughter isn't fond of Cadbury chocolate, says it's too sweet... she prefers "Smarties" which can actually be found in the states at some of the more exclusive stores -- in my area of San Francisco you can get Smarties at Draegers in San Mateo, for example. But I'm not aware of any place selling Cherry Ripe bars or Yowies.

The funny thing is that I heard about Yowies several years ago and thought it was the neatest thing! Especially since the "toys" featured native animals, endangered animals, etc. There are a few character toys I'm not familiar with. I really wanted the Christmas Beetle, for example :):

Acutally, I'd love a "real" Christmas Beetle (dead of course rolleyes1.gif )
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    Thanks Andy
    andy wrote:
    love it, you should send it to cadbury's thumb.gif

I wouldn't know where to start. I need an agent!
    :): :): :):
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    How many in your collection?
    rahmonster wrote:
    clap.gifGreat shots! I was gonna say I loved these as a kid, but I will tell the truth and tell you I still love them! :D

Hey, I think they are great. Do you have a collection?
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    I really want to "do it myself"
    kudbegud wrote:
    terriffic series...and real nice product shot, nice even lighting! very kewl....maybe some more shots of other toys are comming?

as the saying goes
    :D:D:D:D

But I know if the next Yowie I buy is an Old Wife Fish, I'm going to be disappointed, and that's where the "addiction" begins! :D:D:D
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    Thanks Phil
    Phil U. wrote:
    Wierd, fascinating, and enticing all at the same time. I feel sorry for your grandson having to wait for you to finish playing with the food before he could eat it... rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Oh he's used to his grandmother when she has her camera! It's been in his face since he was born -- literally! I was in he hospital room!

He's 4 1/2 now and I'm letting him play with my Mavica F-91 but it's a bit big for him yet. He wants to grab my Sony F828 and the answer is always a resounding NO!

He has grown up realizing the value of digital photography and will ask to see the picture I just took quite often, offering his approval or disapproval too!
  • Options
    edited June 15, 2005
    Thanks Angelo
    Angelo wrote:
    Dee, thanks for sharing a great thread but that #1 shot... YOWIE!!! what a fantastic product shot. I bet it's marketable. thumb.gif

As I told Andy, I need an agent!
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Gus?? Oh Gus?? The Flood Gates Have Opened
    Dee wrote:
    Enough with Cherry Ripes already! I heard about Yowies and had seen some. So when I went to buy a cherry ripe I also bought a Yowie. I checked out all the colors carefully, and remembering my daughter saying all the 4-year-olds in preschool liked the color purple best -- I picked up, and rattled, a purple Yowie.

Here's my grandson (he got to eat the chocolate, I got to keep the fish!)

He's carefully waiting for Grandee to finish taking pictures...

Yowie looking like a chick emerging from the shell...

Uncovered, photographed and ready to eat!!!

The pieces inside the canister inside the Yowie.... ready to put together. Not as easy as it looked. My daughter, with smaller hands than I, gave up! Grandma to the rescue...

A "beauty shot" 3/4 view

A straignt on view.

The Old Wife Fish (Enoplosus armatus) is found around ocean reefs off the southern and eastern coasts of Australia.

This could become a passion of mine -- collecting the insides of Yowies!
    Ohhhhhhhhh Geezzzzzzzz, Gus.........Now they've done it.....they've discovered Yowies :lol4 :lol

Yowies have been around for years and years and years, my nephews and niece have complete sets of Yowie Animals they have collected.
    They're not so easy to pack in your luggage that's for sure rolleyes1.gif

Well Dee my friend...... it only takes one Yowie to get hooked too ya know :lolrolleyes1.gif .........you guys just crack me up :D Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2005
    The Official Yowie Website
    For all you folks who don't have a clue what a Yowie is, here's the link to the Official Yowie Website in Australia :D

Yowie's are fun for alllll the family, not just the little kids rolleyes1.gif
    Enjoy........ Skippy (Australia)

http://www.yowie.com.au/yowie/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    AgilehoundAgilehound Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    I am delighted that a rather ordinary moment with the grandson produced such a fun series of pictures!
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    How about a foil wrapped hollow Cherry Ripe with a canon L lens inside? Sure, it might cost a bit more, but oh, what fun! Perhaps a "kit" lens that we could assemble?

I've seen those. Sometimes the clerk will give you a discount if you buy the whole box of candy, so you only end up paying about $25,000. :D
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2005
    Hi Skippy
    Skippy wrote:
    For all you folks who don't have a clue what a Yowie is, here's the link to the Official Yowie Website in Australia :D

Yowie's are fun for alllll the family, not just the little kids rolleyes1.gif
    Enjoy........ Skippy (Australia)

http://www.yowie.com.au/yowie/

I don't think a really little kid could have put together my Old Wife Fish, I was the last resort and only through a lot of patience and an attitude change from "oh my gosh, what ever are all these pieces" to "What? you call these assembly directions?" to "I can do this, I remember those websites I visited a couple of years back, everyone else figured out how to do this." I just reminded myself I really had nothing else to do for the next hour and it was certainly entertaining my grandson!

I was trying to find just ONE site that had pictures of all the Yowies in one place. Some of the trade sites have some pictures and eBay has some, but a lot are poorly taken (I mean as a potential buyer I think the pictures aren't good -- never mind from a photographer's viewpoint :):)

The critters are pretty darn good replicas, not toy-like at all.

And although you can blame Gus indirectly, I wouldn't have been at all curious about the other candy on the shelf if didn't have an e-pal in Brisbane and in looking up things Australian when we first started exchanging photos years ago -- somehow I stumbled on Yowies. I never dreamed I'd be able to get some so close to home.

I think part of the charm is buying the candy, wondering what's inside, sort of like I remember as a child with Cracker Jacks (Candy) or some cereal boxes that had little trinkets inside. It's a little more sophisticated now with toys at fast food joints offered in Children's meals, etc.

As I said, next time I'm in the area -- July 5th so far is the next time scheduled, I'll pick up a few more. My daughter's friend has twin girls, and she wants me to pick up 2 Yowies for them.

Even tho an auction is tempting, I'm in the early stages and part of the fun will be "discovery" and "working" to put my critter together. I really can't go into collection mode, but there are a few I saw that I really liked, like the turtle that I might try to obtain.

Do you guys get Reeces Peanut Butter Cups in Australia? If not, someone needs to send some to Gus and get him hooked!!!!

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2005
    Reece Buttercups
    [/QUOTE] Do you guys get Reeces Peanut Butter Cups in Australia? If not, someone needs to send some to Gus and get him hooked!!!!

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif[/QUOTE]Hi again Dee......... I recall seeing Reece Buttercups many years ago, but they didn't really take off in Australia.

I like them, my friends in Ohio usually have a big basket of candy when I go there, I'm sure they only put it there to tempt me rolleyes1.gif

Cadbury just released a new chocolate bar a couple of months ago, and it's been a big hit in our office, it's got a really thick caramel layer under the chocolate coating ......yummmmmmmmeeeeee

Its called BOOST

boostbar_yellowforweb.jpeg
    Dunno if Gus has tried this bar, it hasn't been out all that long.
    Skippy (Australia)

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 16, 2005
    [/QUOTE]Hi again Dee......... I recall seeing Reece Buttercups many years ago, but they didn't really take off in Australia.

I like them, my friends in Ohio usually have a big basket of candy when I go there, I'm sure they only put it there to tempt me rolleyes1.gif

Skippy (Australia)
    [/QUOTE]
    Hey Skippy,
    The reason peanut butter cups probably didn't do well in Oz is cuz you folks would rather have vegemite and jelly sandwiches lol3.gif :lol4

And doncha be laughing at us crazy Yanks rolleyes1.gif We do go crazy over things we don't have or can't get. But it's not much different than when you see some of the animals here that you don't have back in OZ ;-) I just know you're gonna want to bring one of those Yellowstone Buffalos home with ya :lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2005
    Thanks Agilehound!
    Agilehound wrote:
    I am delighted that a rather ordinary moment with the grandson produced such a fun series of pictures!

But obtaining the Yowie was anything but ordinary rolleyes1.gif

I'm beginning to think it will become ordinary though. My daughter has assured me my grandson will eat the chocolate and I can keep the "toy."

Now that I know where to go (after much research on the web) I'm sure I'll be getting some more. I'm just so fortunate I can walk into a store and buy one!

The only problem I have with that is that there are so many other tempting things in that store! :):

Some of the boomerangs, for example are exquisite!
  • Options
    Rufio220Rufio220 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    amazing. That is a cool series.thumb.gif
    ~Take it while it's there, cause tomorrow it will be gone~