Options

Desperate for help! LR/CS3 problem...

jd956jd956 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited September 22, 2009 in Finishing School
I had been using Lightroom 1.4v and CS3 with Nik Color Efex plug ins and was blissfully happy. I then upgraded my LR to 2.4 and also added some new plugins which were Silverefex, Kuboto and Boutwell actions and a couple others.
I then went to open CS3 and found that every image looks wierd in the workspace. The best I can describe is desaturated. Oddly, they all look the same in LR too. The same images look perfectly fine using any other program or Windows picture viewer. I tried many images, all same problem. I can't edit or work on something that doesn't look right to start with!

To fix it I have:
Pulled off all plugins.
Called adobe and ran suggested "cleanscript."
Removed CS3 and LR and reloaded.
Reformatted hard drive then reloaded LR and CS3.
Updated graphic driver from Sony.
Called Adobe who sent it to some "Level 2"
and supposedly they will call me back in 48 hours.
Nothing helped, same problem.

WHAT DO I DO? Short of buying a new computer?

Customer sessions are stacking up, panicking, need my LR back , I am dead in the water and I really want to use all those great new PS plugins too.

Where did I go wrong and is there anyone who can help me?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    WOW!

I am supper glad I ain't in your shoes. That said the first area I would look into is how / which / monitor / icc profile / confliting settings, etc these two programs are using to render the image.

The good news is I don't think there is anything wrong with your computer, monitor, or programs.

Hopefully someone else more tech savvy will chime in for you.

Good luck!!

Sam
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    I don't recall what the defaults are, but go into LR, Edit->Preferences->External Editing

I never had CS3 (went CS2->CS4), so I can't be sure what exactly your's will look:

Pref Menu.jpg

But here you can see I have ProPhoto 16-bit set. You need to make sure this and CS are in sync.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    jd956jd956 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 21, 2009
    Discovered the problem, don't let it happen to you!
    Andrew,
    Thanks for your excellent advice. I appreciate the suggestion.That wasn't it though and I hope lots of people read this so it doesn't happen to them.

Here is how I discovered what it was: I got so desperate I brought in a new desk top so I could get back to work. It had never had CS3 or LR. After loading both and connecting my external drive all my images looked exactly as they should when opened in both programs. Keep in mind that at this point no plug ins had ever been on this desktop and I didn't load them. Turns out the plugins were never the problem. I THEN opened the Adobe update from inside CS3 just like I had done before on the original desktop when I had upgraded my LR version. Boom! Every issue came back on the new desktop! All images looking weird, desaturated and slightly fuzzy when opened in either Adobe programs.

You can imagine how thrilled I was to have to now reformat both desktops (system restore doesn't fix it)! What a nightmare week! Also, Adobe never did return my case # call back as promised. I'm no computer expert but it would certainly appear that the update is the problem. I hope people read this and it doesn't happen to anyone else. No one deserves the stress it has caused.

Thanks to those who viewed my post and tried to help!
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Again, not running CS3, but does CS3 have a tendancy to try running/installing Adobe Gamma? From a color correction point of view, this tool seems to be the kiss of death, and is definately gone in CS4. If you google Adobe Gamma, I'm sure you will find a thread or two about finding it and killing it if it is there.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited September 22, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Again, not running CS3, but does CS3 have a tendancy to try running/installing Adobe Gamma? From a color correction point of view, this tool seems to be the kiss of death, and is definately gone in CS4. If you google Adobe Gamma, I'm sure you will find a thread or two about finding it and killing it if it is there.

Not in CS3.