Options

how hard would it be to make P&S with a flash that you could rotate up?

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited September 23, 2009 in Cameras
Doesn't seem like it would be too big of a design issue. Just this simple thing could really help with lighting in certain siutations. I realize the flash power is not going to be the strongest.
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    edited September 22, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    Doesn't seem like it would be too big of a design issue. Just this simple thing could really help with lighting in certain siutations. I realize the flash power is not going to be the strongest.

The biggest problem with putting a tilting flash in a P&S camera is that it would require a "much" more powerful flash output, and that demands more power consumption from the battery source. There have been a few "advanced digicams" that had more flash output, but they are also a larger body. I still don't believe I have seen a digicam with a tilting flash either.

The best bet for a P&S is an external flash, either driven through a hot shoe on the camera, or through some sort of optical master/slave relationship.

I use a number of external flashes with a FujiFilm FinePix F40fd, which does not have a hot shoe. I use a Sunpak "digital" optical slave, which has its own hot shoe and senses the preflash and then inserts a selectable delay before allowing the slave to sense the main flash pulse. It works surprisingly well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2009
    Qarik wrote:

I would LOVE a flip up flash on a P&S! I already bounce my little Lumix's flash with a business card and the results are decent, it is just a PITA to use and very weird looking.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The biggest problem with putting a tilting flash in a P&S camera is that it would require a "much" more powerful flash output, and that demands more power consumption from the battery source. There have been a few "advanced digicams" that had more flash output, but they are also a larger body. I still don't believe I have seen a digicam with a tilting flash either.

I'm with Ziggy...power issue. But admittedly, it would be so easy to say have a flash that is barreled shaped axially, and then just be able to rotate it allover the place..perhaps even have a one side swings out feature so you could effectively bounce it off a wall nearby.
    tom wise
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    ziggy53 wrote:

The best bet for a P&S is an external flash, either driven through a hot shoe on the camera, or through some sort of optical master/slave relationship.

I use a number of external flashes with a FujiFilm FinePix F40fd, which does not have a hot shoe. I use a Sunpak "digital" optical slave, which has its own hot shoe and senses the preflash and then inserts a selectable delay before allowing the slave to sense the main flash pulse. It works surprisingly well.

I think anywhere with 9 foot white ceilings the flash on most P&S would be fine. Getting an external flash for P&S pretty much kills the idea of P&S for me but might be an option for some.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,911 moderator
    Qarik wrote:
    I think anywhere with 9 foot white ceilings the flash on most P&S would be fine. Getting an external flash for P&S pretty much kills the idea of P&S for me but might be an option for some.

It's easy enough to test. Just use a "plain" mirror (second surface), mounted in front of the flash at a 90 degree angle to the flash and designed to throw the flash illumination to the ceiling. I think you will be surprised just how little light a P&S flash produces when used as bounced light.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums