Options

Damaged Lens. Will Nikon cover it?

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited September 27, 2009 in Cameras
Hi All,

I have a Nikon 18-200 I bought in Feb of 2007. I don't think I ever mailed in the one year warranty cards or the 'extended' free warranty card. Now I'm having major problems extending or retracting the barrel of the lens. If I want to completly retract the lens down to 18mm, it seems to only get down to 20 mm. I am having consistent problem of fully extending the lens. I can get it out to say 150mm, but not beyond that without having the try several times and it will finally get to 200. Sounds like a screw or ball bearing has come loose inside. You can hear a small object rattling around in the barrel. Now this doesn't seem to of affected image quality at all. There is NOT impact damage and I did not drop the lens.

Degree of difficulty: In summer of 2008 I went hiking in the Sierra's and dropped the lens don a river embankment. Cost me $350 to get it working again.

Would nikon cover the lens under the original or extended, if I did not mail those cards in? The dealer who sold it to me was like 'don't worry about mailing them in.'
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments