Options

FlexNR and the Canon 1D MKIII?

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
edited September 27, 2009 in Finishing School
Has anyone heard about this "FlexNR" software?

Apparently it is a number of presets leveraging "Neat Image" to produce nice looking high-ISO images. It appears to be tuned specifically to the noise patterns of the Canon 1D MKIII, but otherwise it is unclear if the results are better than using Neat Image alone.

It appears that you need to purchase both FlexNR and Neat Image for the FlexNR to function.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    edited August 21, 2009
  • Options
    drisleydrisley Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 27, 2009
    As somebody who has used FlexNR for nearly 1 year now, I can attest that the images above (once pbase is back up again) are 100% legit.

There is no comparison between using just Neat Image, or any other NR software and using the 1D MkIII FlexNR action.

Last year when the developer initially posted his high ISO 1D MkIII images on POTN, I couldn't figure out HOW he got such clean high ISO images. So, I finally caved and asked him, fully expecting to be ignored, as most people don't like to share their post processing with others for some reason.

To my surprise, Pixmantra told me exactly what he had done... leveraged all the advantages of the 1D MkIII sensor and Digic III (ie, low sensor noise, weak AA filter, low in camera processing), developed his own fine tuned noise profiles for Neat Image, each developed to run in separate passes to affect certain tones in the image.

The result? About a 2 stop improvement in noise on the already amazing 1D MkIII... and the result is nothing like the plasticky, artifact-laden images we are used to see from bare NR software, or in-camera NR (like the D3).

Anyway, I now can shoot ISO 6400 without a second thought, and underexpose by up to 2 stops to get ISO 12,800 and 25,600 (by recovering in RAW) and get very usable images... better than any camera I've seen yet.

What's funny is, that not only is fine detail retained, the action runs a bit of post sharpening that brings out more detail than you could see before the NR process.

It's amazing! That's why I started a thread about it on POTN, and convinced Pixmantra to make it available to other 1D MKIII owners because it's just too good to keep secret.

Just for kicks, here is a picture I took yesterday, it was underexposed by 2/3 stops (my mistake) and recovered in RAW.

1D MkIII, F2.8, ISO 4,000

Btw, this looks like a great forum, and I'm excited to be a new "Beginner Grinner" :)

• Options
    drisley wrote:
    As somebody who has used FlexNR for nearly 1 year now, I can attest that the images above (once pbase is back up again) are 100% legit.

There is no comparison between using just Neat Image, or any other NR software and using the 1D MkIII FlexNR action.

Last year when the developer initially posted his high ISO 1D MkIII images on POTN, I couldn't figure out HOW he got such clean high ISO images. So, I finally caved and asked him, fully expecting to be ignored, as most people don't like to share their post processing with others for some reason.

To my surprise, Pixmantra told me exactly what he had done... leveraged all the advantages of the 1D MkIII sensor and Digic III (ie, low sensor noise, weak AA filter, low in camera processing), developed his own fine tuned noise profiles for Neat Image, each developed to run in separate passes to affect certain tones in the image.

The result? About a 2 stop improvement in noise on the already amazing 1D MkIII... and the result is nothing like the plasticky, artifact-laden images we are used to see from bare NR software, or in-camera NR (like the D3).

Anyway, I now can shoot ISO 6400 without a second thought, and underexpose by up to 2 stops to get ISO 12,800 and 25,600 (by recovering in RAW) and get very usable images... better than any camera I've seen yet.

What's funny is, that not only is fine detail retained, the action runs a bit of post sharpening that brings out more detail than you could see before the NR process.

It's amazing! That's why I started a thread about it on POTN, and convinced Pixmantra to make it available to other 1D MKIII owners because it's just too good to keep secret.

Just for kicks, here is a picture I took yesterday, it was underexposed by 2/3 stops (my mistake) and recovered in RAW.

1D MkIII, F2.8, ISO 4,000

Btw, this looks like a great forum, and I'm excited to be a new "Beginner Grinner" :)

Drisley, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your insight and the example. I have a number of older Canon cameras and I do think I will take the plunge and purchase FlexNR. (I also plan to purchase a 1D MKIII someday to replace one of my 1D MKII cameras.)

I already have (and love) Neat Image and I understand approximately what the author has done and I appreciate his work. With your positive experience and recommendation I am convinced that it's the "good stuff".
    ziggy53
  • Options
    P.S. I see that there is a SmugMugger using the FlexNR system:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/8866768_QmguQ/1/587735991_Spxhq#587734355_tnNu6
    ziggy53