Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited June 16, 2005 in Holy Macro
A few of my recent shots
CRW_3759c.jpg

CRW_3814c.jpg

CRW_3830c.jpg

CRW_3839c.jpg

CRW_3847c.jpg

The following 3 shots are from a sequence of 47 shots of this fly I called Rodney who recently set a world record for bubble blowing of six consecutive bubbles.

CRW_3854c.jpg

CRW_3865c.jpg

CRW_3879c.jpg

CRW_3944c.jpg

CRW_3909c.jpg

CRW_3980c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Nice work and shots Brian, as usual with your work. thumb.gif . You see that third shot there with the spider, see how the comp with the tiny leaves all coming on an angle, that is one heck of a 3D effect for my eyes. Love it !!. The last shot is a real stunner as well Brian. Great colours, lighting and DOF. Impressive as always sir thumb.gifthumb.gif

Danny.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2005
    nzmacro wrote:
    Nice work and shots Brian, as usual with your work. thumb.gif . You see that third shot there with the spider, see how the comp with the tiny leaves all coming on an angle, that is one heck of a 3D effect for my eyes. Love it !!. The last shot is a real stunner as well Brian. Great colours, lighting and DOF. Impressive as always sir thumb.gifthumb.gif

Danny.
    Thanks Danny- appreciate the comments. I've been trying to go for a "softer" look ie not too much post processing sharpening.
    What do you think?

Brian V.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Brian
    Great macros
    Nice color and great detail thumb.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Very nice Brian, these are terriffic macros! thumb.gif Excellent details!!!!

AJ
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    That's a lot of critter photos. All very nice. That last one just POPS. The color is stunning - very sharp and great lighting. clap.gif
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Thanks Danny- appreciate the comments. I've been trying to go for a "softer" look ie not too much post processing sharpening.
    What do you think?

Brian V.
    Personally and only IMO, I would give then a slightly more boost in sharpness. Not much though. I've seen a fair bit of your amazing shots Brian and I do like the sharpness turned up a bit, not much, just a tad. BUT, I've had others comment that I sharpen too much sometimes mwink.gif , ya just can't win :D . Either way we all know what can be done anyway, so why not try it. I'll join you in that case thumb.gif

Danny.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    HI Brian,
    I've been trying to go for a "softer" look ie not too much post processing sharpening.
    What do you think?

Brian V.
    Outstanding macros once againthumb.gif. It's kinda funny in that you want to soften your shots and I'm trying to sharpen mine. I shot without in-camera sharpening and don't think I sharpen enough. I need to figure out a better way of sharpening effectively. I personally like a sharp, crisp photo, especially macros.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Outstanding macros once againthumb.gif. It's kinda funny in that you want to soften your shots and I'm trying to sharpen mine. I shot without in-camera sharpening and don't think I sharpen enough. I need to figure out a better way of sharpening effectively. I personally like a sharp, crisp photo, especially macros.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

I highly reccomend rutt's sharpening method. He posted 2 tutorials - they're sticky posts in the Photoshop Shenanigans forum. The Part 2 tutorial really gives you fine-grained control over your sharpening. I've got the method described in there rolled up into a useable Photoshop action that I've been using with good success. The action won't do it for you automatically (you'll still have to understand the material in his tutorials) but it'll walk you through the steps to make it faster and so you won't forget anything. If anyone is interested, just PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2005
    Thanks all for the comments.

With regards to the sharpening I think it is a reaction to quite a few insect macros I've seen recently which in my personal opinion are way over sharpened. It's not that I don't sharpen. Most of the pics get sharpening (although it appears to be minimal) during raw processing using DPP set to level 5 (max) sharpening, then they get level2 sharpening using a Focus Magic plugin. neither of these seem to give the same effect as USM. However I'm still learning!
    Cheers

Brian V.