Options

Elizabeth

marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited October 2, 2009 in People
I took photos of this wonderful lady today for her website. We started around 10:30, took an hour break at 1pm, then finished at 3:30pm. She was a real trooper.

I have a ton of duplicate shots and I culled out a LOT. She wants something modern and edgy.

664272702_PaKbE-L.jpg

664436032_tZqS7-L.jpg

3. This one looks a little soft to me, but I still like it.
664499505_uijAH-L.jpg

664571966_Ufjxe-L.jpg

Anyway, I don't charge sitting fees at the moment because I um don't have enough confidence that I'll deliver um great (and many - I always worry I can't deliver enough) pictures. So basically I told her she can buy the prints or CD instead. She wants to buy a CD - my question is, how much do you guys normally charge for a high res jpg file?

Thanks for the help -
Kris

Comments

• Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2009
    Just those four shots show a lot of insight to one beautiful woman.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    leaforte wrote:
    Just those four shots show a lot of insight to one beautiful woman.

Thank you very much - yes I heartily agree that she's beautiful as well as very elegant. She reminds me of Catherine Zeta-Jones in Pic 3, even.
  • Options
    RuSuRuSu Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    I like
    the last photo of her sitting on the couch - beautiful & sophisicated it speak volumes about her. Nice work.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    I think you did great! clap.gif I like #3 and #4 the most out of this set, especially #4.

I actually really like #2 as well, but I'm not a big fan of her mouth being open.

What did you do to process these? Did you use any presets? ear.gif
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    Back the bus up....you do great work, charge a sitting fee, or not, but don't think you might not be able to deliver, from what I have witnessed here you do great work! Like these.
    I am a newbie, here is how I handle a session at this moment, I have a package price that includes the sitting fee and x number of photos on a CD, I post the best ones, cleaned up on a private album in Smugmug, let them pick out their fav images and if they want more it is so much per photo after that.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    ivar wrote:
    I think you did great! clap.gif I like #3 and #4 the most out of this set, especially #4.

I actually really like #2 as well, but I'm not a big fan of her mouth being open.

What did you do to process these? Did you use any presets? ear.gif

Thank you, Ivar! Yes, I did use a combination of things, though not presets for these: one set of actions from dA and Nicole Van's Urban actions (http://shop.nicholev.com/?splash). I adjust and readjust and/or mix together to taste. The rest in the album (after the first 8) are presets for Lightroom, which you can see in my gallery http://krisfulk.com/portraits/elizabeth

As for #2, that's funny coz what I love about it is her mouth being open ^_^ It was one of the few shots in the beginning where she loosened up. Almost all her solo shots were very sit upright, closed mouth smile, hand on top of each other type. I even had her crack a joke and she told it much without opening her lips lol. I told her she was a conundrum...because she loves candid-looking shots (the ones she showed me of her favorite pictures of other interior designers) but has a hard time loosening up herself. I just need to do better at putting them at ease too.
  • Options
    VayCayMom wrote:
    Back the bus up....you do great work, charge a sitting fee, or not, but don't think you might not be able to deliver, from what I have witnessed here you do great work! Like these.

Ugh, and the sad part is I do value my work and think I do a good job. It's just when I get to the what should I charge part, I think maybe I should cut a deal and give them discounts etc etc, so it tends to be...free... I fail at business. And like someone said here before, if you're in the business of photography, you should try to be good at the business part too :(

(Maybe I should get a manager O_o)

Thank you so much for the vote of confidence, I am resolved to overcome this lol.

Do you sell low and high res files a la carte as well as prints?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    Number 2 is great. It has that candid, news feel to it.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    some really good stuff here. If th rest of teh shots are of similar quality and you can deliver > 50 images I would charge something like $150-200.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    Kris - you deliver. Period. You've got some beautiful shots here, and it seems to me that you're really starting to show a personal style in your work as you do more and more of this.

I do have some ideas about the business side of things but I'm having a terrible time formulating them in writing, so I'll leave that pro tem until literary inspiration strikes and I can figure out how to put my thoughts into words!!
  • Options
    Thank you, diva, qarik and damonff.

I'm more comfortable now after reading your posts and goldi's thread on confidence lol. I had typed up a photography contract (which I should have shown and had her sign before the shoot, live and learn) with the rates. We hadn't discussed it beforehand so crossing my fingers. I quoted her separate prices for full retouched (like the pics on the first page) and minor retouching comes free with every image - and here are examples of that. (There are some color ones too.)

5. We pulled a friend to pose as a "client".
    664953586_CWapb-L.jpg

6. Penelope, who had been chewing "Eli" her toy elephant.
    664953165_yy74N-L.jpg

664953486_akJbM-L.jpg

8. She wanted one where she's "working" on a chandelier (she's an interior designer). I have a few variations of this shot on her gallery.
    665030563_SPYPU-L.jpg
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    these are gorgeous!clap.gifclap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    Great work! clap.gif Really love the color palette and soft glow you've achieved. You've put together an elegant set of images.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    FWIW, I think these very well executed. Really like #7 on this page...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    I love 3 and 7, you definately should be charging!
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    :jawdrop WHOA!!!

Kris, these are awesome!!!! The improvement between your last few posted shoots and this is great! I'm so proud of you! Keep this up, and you'll be joining the ranks of heatherfeather in no time :)

These are just incredible. Fabulous job.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2009
    Thank you everyone! So very much. Like, a LOT. It's really because of you guys that I have grown. I read these boards everyday and pay attention to every question and answer you guys post and pm.

Which is also to say that I'll be danged sure to try even harder next shoot :D
  • Options
    kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    Thank you everyone! So very much. Like, a LOT. It's really because of you guys that I have grown. I read these boards everyday and pay attention to every question and answer you guys post and pm.

Which is also to say that I'll be danged sure to try even harder next shoot :D

I meant to post earlier...I think these look like they are out of a magazine....Like a Vogue in-depth report on someone. I said your last shoot looked like a Chanel ad (with the models)! Watch out print publishing here you come!! clap.gif