Options

Small Wyoming wildlife

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
edited June 17, 2005 in Wildlife
So I just returned from riding in the Snowy Mountains with my son and several fellows from KTMtalk.com The weather was not good except for Saturday and we were riding most of the day then. But I did spend a morning in the snow at Libby Flats and in the plains west of Laramie,. and caught shots of Wyoming wildlife.

Antelope of course
25042514-L.jpg

Horses - not wildife, but typical of Wyoming
25041358-L.jpg

Ground squirrels galore at Libby Flats
25042365-L.jpg

And two ground squirrels - one more cautious than the other
25044976-L.jpg

And antelope laying in the grass in the rain
25044979-L.jpg

Criticisms, critiques, etc welcomed
:):

This is what the weather loked like much of the time
25042389-L.jpg
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 16, 2005
    Very nice shots PF thumb.gifthumb.gif Looks like you had a great time in Wyoming.

I love the 5th shot with the 4 antelopes. It may be my work monitor, but both antelope shots look a bit hot (bright) to me ne_nau.gif But the composition of the 5th shot is super IMO clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Great stuff! clap.gif

I especially like this one because of its sharpness and its cute factor.

25042365-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 16, 2005
    Very nice shots PF thumb.gifthumb.gif Looks like you had a great time in Wyoming.

I love the 5th shot with the 4 antelopes. It may be my work monitor, but both antelope shots look a bit hot (bright) to me ne_nau.gif But the composition of the 5th shot is super IMO clap.gif

Steve

Thanks for your comments Steve, and the concern about the brightness of the antelope shots. I clocked the whites in them and the tail in the first shot reads about 254,254,254 so I am near the edge, but the rest of the highlights on the goats only read 220, 218, 230 or so, so I thought they might get a bye. But I agree that they seem a little hot, so I have redone the one of the four anteloopes laying in the grass and we'll se what folks think about the image in a litlle darker mode.

Is this any better??
    25204630-L.jpg

This little fella was hiding in the grass as I walked out into the ditch to shoot antelope and stopped to look back at me as I caught him...
    25204235-L.jpg

Here is some more Wyoming wildlife too
    25204189-L.jpg

And some more antelope
    25204664-L.jpg

• Options
    edited June 16, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    Great stuff! clap.gif

I especially like this one because of its sharpness and its cute factor.

25042365-S.jpg

I agree that of all the stuff I shot, I liked the ground squirrel images the best, and I would not have thought that for the world. Long glass just never beats getting really close in.thumb.gif

25042099-L.jpg

• Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2005
    Sweet PF.
    I think that kind of weather makes for some good shooting:):
    Sounds and looks like you had a blast.
    Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Hey PF,

The second and third shots are excellent. The exposure on the horse shot is on the mark. There's some thing about the comp thats a bit off for me though. I think I would have either zoomed out a bit more to give to give a feeling of the size of the surroundings or I would have zoomed in more.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited June 17, 2005
    PF,
    Yeah, the 2nd edit of the 'lopes works much better for me thumb.gifthumb Everything looks fuller and richer (although that may not be what it looked like in actuality....lol). I hope you guys didn't have really hot weather while you were there :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey PF,

The second and third shots are excellent. The exposure on the horse shot is on the mark. There's some thing about the comp thats a bit off for me though. I think I would have either zoomed out a bit more to give to give a feeling of the size of the surroundings or I would have zoomed in more.

Harry I looked at the shot of the red horse and I agree that it lacks something. I think the problem is the lighter green area across the top of the frame. I have recropped it, and I think this may be a better effort. Ya think, maybe, Harry?
    25245526-L.jpg

• Options
    edited June 17, 2005
    PF,
    Yeah, the 2nd edit of the 'lopes works much better for me thumb.gifthumb Everything looks fuller and richer (although that may not be what it looked like in actuality....lol). I hope you guys didn't have really hot weather while you were there :D

Steve

I don't think it ever got above 70 degrees F. Usually highs of 60's, lows of mid 30's. Cooler up higher - typically mid 30's during the day at 9000 feet. Still lots of snow on the higher roads - this is what the scenery looked like. I looked for birds and only saw an occaisional mockingbird or raven. None close enough to shoot

25041196-L.jpg