Options

dgrin timeout

LateSkyLateSky Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
edited October 1, 2009 in Dgrin Forum Support
Hello,

I seem to be getting timed-out from dgrin on a regular basis before being able to complete posts, new threads and the whatnot. Granted, I'm not the most expedient poster, but hey, a little respect here! Maybe dgrin is trying to tell me something, no?

Anywho, is there anyway to user-change the time-out window for dgrin, or do I just need to write faster?

:whip

Thanks.
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Steve
www.LateSky.com

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 23, 2009
    hang on Steve, someone will be by to answer your question soon.

I'm not aware of any timeout settings myself. Sorry.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    I'm not even sure what this is :(

Ian? ear.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    LateSky wrote:
    Hello,

I seem to be getting timed-out from dgrin on a regular basis before being able to complete posts, new threads and the whatnot. Granted, I'm not the most expedient poster, but hey, a little respect here! Maybe dgrin is trying to tell me something, no?

Anywho, is there anyway to user-change the time-out window for dgrin, or do I just need to write faster?

:whip

Thanks.

Is there any chance yu could get a screen capture of the message or a photo of it to help Andy and Ian understand exactly what is happening???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    Art Scott wrote:
    Is there any chance yu could get a screen capture of the message or a photo of it to help Andy and Ian understand exactly what is happening???

There is no message Art. He's just timing out.

Steve have you checked your browser settings to see if it a local issue? example: http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?style_mode=inproduct&locale=en-US&comments_parentId=251136&forumId=1&s=timeout
  • Options
    Angelo wrote:
    There is no message Art. He's just timing out.

Steve have you checked your browser settings to see if it a local issue? example: http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?style_mode=inproduct&locale=en-US&comments_parentId=251136&forumId=1&s=timeout

I don't think it's a FF thing - not a page timeout, per se, but the app is kicking me out.

I'll be composing a lengthy post and when I hit the "Preview" or "Submit" button, dgrin gives a message screen like the one attached (how are you supposed paste an image into a post, anyhow?).

-- sc

Steve
    www.LateSky.com

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    That's most likely caused by having cookies disabled in your browser.
  • Options
    double_entendredouble_entendre Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    FWIW, I learned at ADV (Baldy's motorcycling site) that if I'm doing a long post it's better to compose in Notepad with word-wrap enabled and assume you're doing the work in editor mode--that little A/A button at the top right of the text input box. You'll need to do the picture inserts using the coding rather than the icons to drop 'em in, but it's easy. Over there it's just the text "img" and "/img" in brackets surrounding the link to the pic.

After you're happy with what you've typed in Notepad, undo word-wrap, select all, copy, and then paste it into the box you use to post to DG. Be sure that the box you're pasting into has the white background, not grey.

Worked for me on a big post I did for a ride report. Doesn't solve your timeout issue, but it's a workaround.

Good luck!

Rancho
  • Options
    kdog wrote:
    That's most likely caused by having cookies disabled in your browser.

Nope, sorry; cookies enabled on FF. Thanks for the idea, though.

Steve
    www.LateSky.com

• Options
    FWIW, I learned at ADV (Baldy's motorcycling site) that if I'm doing a long post it's better to compose in Notepad with word-wrap enabled and assume you're doing the work in editor mode--that little A/A button at the top right of the text input box. You'll need to do the picture inserts using the coding rather than the icons to drop 'em in, but it's easy. Over there it's just the text "img" and "/img" in brackets surrounding the link to the pic.

After you're happy with what you've typed in Notepad, undo word-wrap, select all, copy, and then paste it into the box you use to post to DG. Be sure that the box you're pasting into has the white background, not grey.

Worked for me on a big post I did for a ride report. Doesn't solve your timeout issue, but it's a workaround.

Good luck!

Rancho
    My "work around" has been to do a select-all -> copy-to-clipboard of the text just before punching the submit or preview buttons. If time-out, then re-logon -> find thred -> reply -> paste -> preview/submit.

I reckon that's life in dgrinville.

Crap! I just got timed-out!! (Only kidding!!! :giggle)

-- sc

Steve
    www.LateSky.com

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    Angelo wrote:
    hang on Steve, someone will be by to answer your question soon.

I'm not aware of any timeout settings myself. Sorry.

Sometime in the past i was also timing out and did get a error message of sort that said my session had timed out or ended due to inactivity and that I needed to sign back in....,,and ......so ......I thought .......just maybe......he was getting one of those also.............. Mine stopped abruptly and mysteriously.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2009
    Just as an experiment... I started this post at 8:24pm local time....

Then I let it just sit open in my browser (FF 3.5.3)...

I finished it at 10:46pm local time

Elapsed time: 2hr 22min

Since this post is a part of this thread, I didn't have the timeout issue experienced by LateSky.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    LateSky wrote:
    I don't think it's a FF thing - not a page timeout, per se, but the app is kicking me out.

I'll be composing a lengthy post and when I hit the "Preview" or "Submit" button, dgrin gives a message screen like the one attached (how are you supposed paste an image into a post, anyhow?).

-- sc

Hmmm...by chance, do you have more than one tab with Dgrin in FF? I have sometimes gotten this message when clicking on a link opens a new tab in which I am not logged in. Not sure why that happens as it doesn't seem to happen all the time. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    Richard wrote:
    Hmmm...by chance, do you have more than one tab with Dgrin in FF? I have sometimes gotten this message when clicking on a link opens a new tab in which I am not logged in. Not sure why that happens as it doesn't seem to happen all the time. headscratch.gif

Nope, only one open tab. Sorry.

Steve
    www.LateSky.com

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    Do you have the "remember me" (or "login forever" or whatever it's called) box checked? I know sometimes if I've forgotten to do that it will log me out unexpectedly. I use FF for PC, fwiw.
  • Options
    Luke J. PhotographyLuke J. Photography Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    This happens to me when I click links in posts to other dgrin threads.
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    Richard wrote:
    I have sometimes gotten this message when clicking on a link opens a new tab in which I am not logged in. Not sure why that happens as it doesn't seem to happen all the time. headscratch.gif

The above happens due to the way cookies are handled here.

If you log in via www.dgrin.com, then all links that start with http://www.dgrin.com will show you as logged in (www.dgrin.com is the domain that the cookie is created for).

If you log in via dgrin.com (no "www"), then all links that start http://dgrin.com will show you as logged in (dgrin.com is the domain that the cookie is created for).

If you are logged in via www.dgrin.com and you select a link that starts as http://dgrin.com (i.e. a link created by someone who had logged in via http://dgin.com), the login page will appear.

I suppose a workaround for this would be to login twice, once via http://www.dgrin.com and once via http://dgrin.com and check the "remember me" box for both....
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    At this point I'd try a different browser. If this is a PC, try IE. If Mac, whatever they use (Opera?)
  • Options
    edited September 25, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    At this point I'd try a different browser. If this is a PC, try IE. If Mac, whatever they use (Opera?)
    Mac is Safari.

Thanks.

Steve
    www.LateSky.com

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    Ummmmm..... Somthing to consider:
    • Most (all?) web application sessions have what is called a time-out value, the number of minutes allowed between requests before a user's session is deemed by the server to be abandonded.
    • If a session is abandonded, it would fair for the server to assume that the user has been logged out
    If the above is true, the question the comes down to how does one easily restart that timer? Simple, periodically during the process of typing the post, simply click on the "Preview Post" button. This will cause a round-trip (request/response transaction) between the user's browser and the DGrin server. Do this every 10 minutes or so and you should be golden. It's a lot like the old-school practice of clicking the save button in applications (like MS Word, for example) to protect yourself from power fluctuations, computer crashes, etc.
  • Options
    I doubt it's an application level timeout. The error from the user indicates that the authentication cookie has gone away. We know that because the server is asking the user to log in again. Authentication uses a persistent cookie that normally lasts for weeks or even months (otherwise we'd have to log in every day.) If an application session was timing out, the application would say so and force the user to start the post over again. But it wouldn't log him out as there's no point in doing that. Rather, something is screwing up the user's authentication cookie.

I'm still interested in knowing what happens if the user tries a different browser.

-joel
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I doubt it's an application level timeout. The error from the user indicates that the authentication cookie has gone away. We know that because the server is asking the user to log in again. Authentication uses a persistent cookie that normally lasts for weeks or even months (otherwise we'd have to log in every day.) If an application session was timing out, the application would say so and force the user to start the post over again. But it wouldn't log him out as there's no point in doing that. Rather, something is screwing up the user's authentication cookie.

I'm still interested in knowing what happens if the user tries a different browser.

-joel

Me thinks somethings afoot here matey...

I've been logged in to dgrin with IE and FF for over 90 minutes now and no time-out.

Did a dgrin administrator tweak with the time-out settings or such?

Otherwise, the time-out that I was experiencing may have something to do with how I have the settings for my browsers configured and the way I manage the open browser instances on my desktop.

I'm an admitted cookie-phobe. I have my browsers configured as best I can to clear out everything browser-related - cache, cookies, history, whatever - when the browser closes.

It seems that by design, a newly-opened browser instance will inherit or share cookies from an already active (open/running) sibling instance - eg, FF to FF or IE to IE - and visa versa (I'm not a software engineer or professional progammer, so please excuse me if I may not have the lingo just right : ).

Now, it's possible that in the course of creating one of my longer dgrin rants (such as this one), that I may open and/or close a sibling instance or two of the browser type that I'm using to compose my post.

Is it possible that having my browsers configured to expunge cookies on closure the way I do, and the possibility of arbitrarily closing related sibling instances when logged on to dgrin have anything to do with the time-out issue being discussed?

Is this making any sense???????..........

-- sc

Steve
    www.LateSky.com

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    LateSky wrote:
    Me thinks somethings afoot here matey...

I've been logged in to dgrin with IE and FF for over 90 minutes now and no time-out.

Did a dgrin administrator tweak with the time-out settings or such?
    :nah
    LateSky wrote:
    Otherwise, the time-out that I was experiencing may have something to do with how I have the settings for my browsers configured and the way I manage the open browser instances on my desktop.

I'm an admitted cookie-phobe. I have my browsers configured as best I can to clear out everything browser-related - cache, cookies, history, whatever - when the browser closes.

It seems that by design, a newly-opened browser instance will inherit or share cookies from an already active (open/running) sibling instance - eg, FF to FF or IE to IE - and visa versa (I'm not a software engineer or professional progammer, so please excuse me if I may not have the lingo just right : ).

Now, it's possible that in the course of creating one of my longer dgrin rants (such as this one), that I may open and/or close a sibling instance or two of the browser type that I'm using to compose my post.

Is it possible that having my browsers configured to expunge cookies on closure the way I do, and the possibility of arbitrarily closing related sibling instances when logged on to dgrin have anything to do with the time-out issue being discussed?

Is this making any sense???????..........

-- sc
    Yeah, it does. I'm not sure how you've set it up exactly or how your browser handles this exactly, but if you have an automated way of removing cookies this might very well account for your 'logged out' experiences.

If you are logged in, have two dgrin windows/tabs open and closing one means that your browser clears your cookies**, it means that your other window is also 'logged out' even though that your other page still shows logged in, but that is just because you haven't refreshed your page.

** = or any action that clears your cookies, really
  • Options
    ivar wrote:
    :nah

Yeah, it does. I'm not sure how you've set it up exactly or how your browser handles this exactly, but if you have an automated way of removing cookies this might very well account for your 'logged out' experiences.

If you are logged in, have two dgrin windows/tabs open and closing one means that your browser clears your cookies**, it means that your other window is also 'logged out' even though that your other page still shows logged in, but that is just because you haven't refreshed your page.

** = or any action that clears your cookies, really

Thanks Ivar.

On a different subject, has anyone tried Google Chrome? Noticeably faster page/photo loads than even FF, it seems; "blazing" may be a more accurate description.

I've notice a peculiarity with some of my custom Smugmug HTML in Chrome and have started a related tread on dgrin. Please check it and chime in if you'd care to:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=144781

Thanks.
    -- sc

Steve
    www.LateSky.com

• Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    I'm not sure how you've set it up exactly or how your browser handles this exactly, but if you have an automated way of removing cookies this might very well account for your 'logged out' experiences.

Sounds like this to me too. I have a vb-powered site and run into this once in a while when using multiple browers instances because I have my browsers set the same way--to wipe everything upon close. Try changing this setting for testing purposes and see what happens.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!