Mourning

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited October 1, 2009 in Street and Documentary
665842905_LjwaP-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    Besides it being very noisy, it is a good street shot.
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    michswiss wrote:
    665842905_LjwaP-XL.jpg

God I hate beating up on you, Jenn - This one is just too damn busy. You really, really, really needed to shoot this one close and wide. It had great possibility, but...ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,813 moderator
    While there are a lot of reasons not to like this image, the scene is filled with distractions, the tones are set too dark and murky gray and the black point too deep, the centrally composed subject is almost hiding and partially obscured, the grain is coarse and further defeats the clarity of the scene, but ..., I am strangely compelled to appreciate the scene for what it is.

I see this as a powerful depiction of depression. The kind of depression that follows a great loss. The kind of depression that makes the world dark and unforgiving and everything is darkened shades of gray, with no respite or relief. The kind of depression that is unrelenting in its oppression and confuses and obscures reality.

I cannot help but wonder, looking at this image, what might have been the tragedy and loss. I am drawn into the subject's world, surrounded by the displays of grief and reminders of loss.

While I cannot say that I "like" this image, I still commend the effort and the effect it can have to the willing observer.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    bdcolen wrote:
    God I hate beating up on you, Jenn - This one is just too damn busy. You really, really, really needed to shoot this one close and wide. It had great possibility, but...ne_nau.gif

I wanted to say it was to busy, but I decided to leave that for my peers to say. It is almost as if I am doubting my own critique skills....
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    This pushed my technical, emotional and equipment limitations. I was set up for wide, but I was across the street when I first passed the scene. The mourning person wasn't always head on table. Friends would come out, console him and return inside. I walked past the scene several times before even attempting a first shot for technical exposure (it was beyond dark) and the person, hearing my shutter or something, looked up.

Where I felt limited was feeling detached enough to get close in this situation, better low light performance and a quieter shutter mechanism. Things I probably should have done was to switch from the 20mm to the 50mm or have moved much closer which was difficult for me emotionally. I definitely missed the shot, but I got a shot. Thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,927 moderator
    edited October 1, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I definitely missed the shot, but I got a shot.

Sometimes that's the best anyone can do. Keep shooting.