Options

Arrange/Sort is backwards

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited October 1, 2009 in Bug Reporting
Turn auto arrange off in a gallery. Then go to Tools/Arrange/Sort. Pick filename as the sort method. Then, you will find that the ascending and descending options are backwards. If you choose ascending, you get 9, 8, 7, 6. If you choose descending, you get 1, 2, 3, 4. This is exactly opposite of what is says right in the screen where you select these options.

The gallery I was sorting is this one (it's password protected), but I don't think it has anything to do with a specific gallery: http://friend.smugmug.com/Sports/Force-Summer-Tournaments-2009/Highlights/9728394_DwhVB.
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited September 24, 2009
    Thanks John. I am checking.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    John, I have checked several of my galleries and they are behaving correctly. What setting are you using on the gallery now? I did not want to change it and get it out of order.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    docwalker wrote:
    John, I have checked several of my galleries and they are behaving correctly. What setting are you using on the gallery now? I did not want to change it and get it out of order.
    I've just confirmed it's backwards again. Here are the steps in this gallery:
    1. Set Auto-Sort set to None
    2. Choose Tools/Arrange/Sort
    3. Then pick "File Name" and "Ascending (1,2,3...)" and hit Save
    4. The image with a filename of "4-2009-09-06-08-21-59-JF2_8000" will be first in the gallery, yet that is the highest filename in the gallery, not the lowest. The gallery will be in descending order, not ascending order.
    5. Then go back and pick "File Name" and "Descending (10,9,8 ... Z,Y,X)"
    6. The image with a filename of "4-2009-09-06-08-21-59-JF2_8000" will be at the end of the gallery. The gallery will be in ascending order, not descending order.
    7. If you play with this gallery, the way I want to leave it is descending order with the image "4-2009-09-06-08-21-59-JF2_8000" first.
    8. I tried it on another gallery too and the same thing happens.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    jfriend wrote:
    I've just confirmed it's backwards again. Here are the steps in this gallery:
    1. Set Auto-Sort set to None
    Probably not applicable, but.
    Did you set it to ascending a long with none? Seems both none and
    ascending have to be set for the tools sort to work.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Allen wrote:
    Probably not applicable, but.
    Did you set it to ascending a long with none? Seems both none and
    ascending have to be set for the tools sort to work.
    Allen, that is the source of the problem and the source of the bug.

Auto sort is off. What the ascending/descending is set to shouldn't matter at all. If it does, that's a bug too.

OK, now doing some testing, there are several bugs here. If I have auto sort to "None" and I just change the "Sort Direction" in the customize gallery screen, the whole order of the images flips. That's completely busted. That is bug #1. The Auto Sort Sort Direction should have no impact on anything when Auto Sort is set to None.

Bug #2 is that if the Auto Sort is none and the auto sort direction is set to Descending, then it causes the order of Tools/Arrange/Sort to be reversed. Whatever you pick in Tools/Arrange/Sort will come out backwards. If Auto Sort is none and the auto sort direction is set to Ascending, then the Tools/Arrange/Sort works properly.

So, it looks like the main sort of the bug is that even when auto sort is set to None, the auto sort direction value in customize gallery is active and influencing the sort of the gallery. It should be 100% inactive when auto sort is set to None so that a manual sort with Tools/Arrange/Sort can do exactly what you set it for.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2009
    I am such a moron... I had this bugged a while back. I did not see it in the bug list. I have bumped it so that the programmers see it again.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited September 28, 2009
    docwalker wrote:
    I am such a moron... I had this bugged a while back. I did not see it in the bug list. I have bumped it so that the programmers see it again.
    doc, please make sure that the connection to the auto sort order setting is noted in the bug report as this is the key to reproducing the problem or concluding that no problem exists.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2009
    Will do thumb.gif
    SmugMug Support Hero