Options

Printer Recommendations

JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited October 2, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
What photo printer would you recommend for printing photo greeting cards?

I already have a copier and scanner and don't necessarily need a combo machine.

J.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited October 1, 2009
    I moved this to Digital Darkroom Gear, where we discuss things like printers.

Specifically what sizes do you wish to print and what level of durability do you require?

Is cost per print important?

Is print speed important?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I moved this to Digital Darkroom Gear, where we discuss things like printers.

Specifically what sizes do you wish to print and what level of durability do you require?

Is cost per print important?

Is print speed important?

Thanks for the assistance ziggy53.

Print quality is a priority. I would use the printer most often for printing 5 x7 photo note cards but would occasionally print an 8 x 10 photo.

I ordered 60 note cards from http://stillframes.com/cards.asp this summer and was extremely happy with the cards but was wondering if I could print cards myself at a price equal to or cheaper than the $1.40 per 5 x 7 card they charge.

J.
    edited October 2, 2009
    Joie wrote:
    I ordered 60 note cards from http://stillframes.com/cards.asp this summer and was extremely happy with the cards but was wondering if I could print cards myself at a price equal to or cheaper than the $1.40 per 5 x 7 card they charge.
    J.

I've never made cards and I've never used stillframes.com so this could be the exception to the rule BUT it is very rare that you'll ever save money printing yourself. With the amount of money you invest in the printer you're already way behind the 8-ball. Additionally, paying for ink and paper to get quality prints isn't cheap either. Most people I know have a cost-per-print that is the same or slightly higher as having a lab do it. Even if your cost-per-print was slightly lower once you factor in the printer cost it was still a bad deal.

If you want to print at home so you can get prints more quickly, or because you enjoy proofing, calibrating, pixel-peeping, and printing - then do it. Consider it as a separate hobby to photography (or a second career if you really get into it!). If you're doing it only to save money - don't do it. You won't.
  • Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    I've never made cards and I've never used stillframes.com so this could be the exception to the rule BUT it is very rare that you'll ever save money printing yourself. With the amount of money you invest in the printer you're already way behind the 8-ball. Additionally, paying for ink and paper to get quality prints isn't cheap either. Most people I know have a cost-per-print that is the same or slightly higher as having a lab do it. Even if your cost-per-print was slightly lower once you factor in the printer cost it was still a bad deal.

If you want to print at home so you can get prints more quickly, or because you enjoy proofing, calibrating, pixel-peeping, and printing - then do it. Consider it as a separate hobby to photography (or a second career if you really get into it!). If you're doing it only to save money - don't do it. You won't.

15524779-Ti.gif 100%