Options

College Vollyball No Flash

PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
edited October 3, 2009 in Sports
Here is a photo from the Mars Hill College vollyball game I got with my 70-300mm AF-S ED 4.5-5.6 VR lens.

C & C Welcome

661005759_vjxmo-XL.jpg

Take Care,
Charles
D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
http://aperturefocus.com

Comments

• Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Looks like your lens is up to the task here as it is a nice action shot. Difficulty is getting the face in on a right handed hitter and you might want to experiment with different shooting locations.

I did go into your gallery to look at the other shots. Some nice captures there. You might experiment with tighter crops (use longer focal lengths on the lens to focus on one or two players). If you do so, you may need to bump the ISO higher to get a faster shutter speed.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Thanks for the tips rainbow.

Charles,
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    Charles,

Try to shoot in front of the players, or at worst directly to the side so you get a better shot at the face. Especially on a jump serve it's pretty easy to get isolation on the hitter. In addition, you'll want to frame much-much tighter. There's a lot of uninteresting dead space in this photo. If volleyball is a sport you're interested in, you're going to need to save up for an additional lens. The focus speed of the 70-300 is going to be a frustrating limitation. It will also help with subject isolation by blurring the background so it isn't as much of a distraction. If you can shoot from the floor and are shooting with something with a focus motor in camera, the 85mm 1.8 is a great option
  • Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    White balance looks a little cool to me. I never shoot volleyball on auto wb. A lot of people try to use expo discs, but I've moved away from that. I dial in a kelvin value and look at my screen comparing it to what my eye sees. I keep tweaking until it looks right. Its far more reliable than an expodisc in my opinion. The big thing is to get it close. You can always use a bit of warming or cooling in post if you're off slightly.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!