Options

Kaye-leigh and Sean, E session at Hatchers

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited October 4, 2009 in Weddings
Ever meet a bride that makes you feel old? Well, Kaye-leigh is one of those. I babysat her when she was 2 or 3... and maaan does that make me feel old to shoot her engagment session and then wedding next summer. Of course my age obsession might also have something to do with my birthday this week.

We met up at Hatchers... and it is extra beautiful up there this time of year with all the golden tones.

666356274_uKKh6-L.jpg

666349479_pWE83-L.jpg

3. For the newspaper. also have one portrait orientation and quite a bit closer... but you have to see the lovely Little Sue River.

666339597_yW2Wn-L.jpg

4. I had never seen this bridge uncovered. Usually it is covered with a couple feet of snow when I see it. (Those of you who live here and do the 16 mile run should recognise it) You should have seen how precarious my perch was to get this shot... well maybe not. It was on the edge of scary.

667139831_atvoK-L.jpg

666372057_gKGvi-M.jpg

666379727_C5Pkv-L.jpg

666390501_xykh6-M.jpg

666395298_jmntE-L.jpg

9. I am not totally sold on my processing for this one.
666404308_oTs69-L.jpg

666407395_4Ejp5-M.jpg

11. I was a little surprised they would walk in this creek barefoot for me. There were spawned out salmon everywhere (some dead and most nearly)and it was quite a bit stinky.

666415393_sRGf6-L.jpg

12. All time favorite of the set.
666426647_jGpJd-L.jpg

I do have to say that this set was so easy... I had a hard time getting rid of any. I guess thats what happens when you have a great lookin couple and a beautiful fall day in one of the most lovely valleys in the world.

C & C = me + :D

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    HOLY CANNOLI GIRL!! :jawdrop

these are your yummiest e-session shots I can remember...

I love the golden tones and the gorgeous subjects that just exude happiness.

Overall...i'm in LOVE with 1, 2, 6, 8.

1. Awesome use of shutter drag (inspired by current challenge, are we??) ;)
    2. One of my faves...love how the bokeh pattern is sort of circling around the subject (was this 70-200?)
    3. Great wide angle composition...love her foot body language, maybe bring up the darks for some more detail?
    4. Again....lovely composition...wow. Feels like they're "glowing" in the image, like the effect. (If it were me I'd darken just a tad around their outlines to accentuate this...)
    5. LOVEEEEE this one. I am not sure how much of a crop it is already, but I'd crop in even closer to make it horizontal, and eliminate her elbows which keep grabbing my eye.
    6. YOWZA!!! gorgeous. yummy light, depth of focus, sharpness in the right places, colors, expressions...home run.
    7. like it but not as much as some of the others...
    8. Holy cow. How do you get such razor SHARP images??? Did you take this at a really long focal length, or were you very close to her shooting wide open? I have tried to get this sharp, wide-eyed look before and fail miserably....conversion is brilliant, love how the mountains aren't so OOF that we don't make them out. You really are showing off your DOF chops, my friend!
    9. I'm feeling ya...not so sure this really stacks up b/c of their mouth angles...otherwise really like the comp/pose.
    10. Very cute, again DOF master
    11. feels stiff.....
    12. I really like this one too, just not as much as some of the others.

Pour yourself a drink for a job well done, old lady!!! :slurp
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    HOLY CANNOLI GIRL!! :jawdrop

these are your yummiest e-session shots I can remember...

I love the golden tones and the gorgeous subjects that just exude happiness.

Overall...i'm in LOVE with 1, 2, 6, 8.

1. Awesome use of shutter drag (inspired by current challenge, are we??) ;)
    2. One of my faves...love how the bokeh pattern is sort of circling around the subject (was this 70-200?)
    3. Great wide angle composition...love her foot body language, maybe bring up the darks for some more detail?
    4. Again....lovely composition...wow. Feels like they're "glowing" in the image, like the effect. (If it were me I'd darken just a tad around their outlines to accentuate this...)
    5. LOVEEEEE this one. I am not sure how much of a crop it is already, but I'd crop in even closer to make it horizontal, and eliminate her elbows which keep grabbing my eye.
    6. YOWZA!!! gorgeous. yummy light, depth of focus, sharpness in the right places, colors, expressions...home run.
    7. like it but not as much as some of the others...
    8. Holy cow. How do you get such razor SHARP images??? Did you take this at a really long focal length, or were you very close to her shooting wide open? I have tried to get this sharp, wide-eyed look before and fail miserably....conversion is brilliant, love how the mountains aren't so OOF that we don't make them out. You really are showing off your DOF chops, my friend!
    9. I'm feeling ya...not so sure this really stacks up b/c of their mouth angles...otherwise really like the comp/pose.
    10. Very cute, again DOF master
    11. feels stiff.....
    12. I really like this one too, just not as much as some of the others.

Pour yourself a drink for a job well done, old lady!!! :slurp

Lynne, I just love it when you give me such detailed c & c. Thanks!iloveyou.gif

#2- It was the 70-200... Subject was at 170mm, and background was about 200 yards distant.. taken at 2.8

#5- I have a whole bunch to choose from in that set, but I chose that one because it included her elbows.... it bothered me when I didn't. Fun-ny..

#8- It was with the 35mm at f8. I was about 1.5 feet from the subject. But because it was so darn sharp I had to do a TON of pp on her skin. You never would know it but she has a lot of skin issues that show up when everything is in perfect focus. Also, this was taken with a bit of artificial shade from my giant brolly on a stand. It makes the perfect light in bright sun.

(Again thanks for the time it took to type all that up!)
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Lynne, I just love it when you give me such detailed c & c. Thanks!iloveyou.gif
    Oh, you mean like you do for ME all the time silly!!!!rolleyes1.gif Happy to reciprocate when I can!
    #8- It was with the 35mm at f8. I was about 1.5 feet from the subject. But because it was so darn sharp I had to do a TON of pp on her skin. You never would know it but she has a lot of skin issues that show up when everything is in perfect focus. Also, this was taken with a bit of artificial shade from my giant brolly on a stand. It makes the perfect light in bright sun.
    A-HA!!!! I was only halfway there! (I have that lens, so I just might steal this approach!) Thanks for the detailed behind the scenes setup iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    1, 5, 8, & 10!!!! wooooooFREAKINhoooo! Man o' man (...or WOMAN as it may be :D) I soooooo wish she would have been looking directly at you in 8 ! Either way, stellar set you have here!
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Heather these are really beautifully done.bowdown.gif

2,3,6,8,.....my faves......and especially 2 and 8.

9 appears to me like it could use some warmth and saturation. I like the framing.

Thanks for sharing.thumb.gif
  • Options
    kpagekpage Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    They all look great! The creek ones are great and you can't even tell that they should be freaked out by it!

I agree with urbanaries on the pose for 9, mouths look a little weird, but i really like the processing of it too! Kind of a rustic feel!
    Just a girl playing with a camera trying to learn as much as she can.
    www.kp-photos.com : facebook.com/kpphotos
  • Options
    NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    Lara Poirrier
    Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
    My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter
  • Options
    rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    I love each and everyone of these. Couple looks very relaxed and having fun with the shoot, the setting is incredibly beautiful and you have used it to the max. I know they will be totally pleased with these shots.

I know the feeling about being old. Some of the kids I taught at church when they were three are now married and having kids of their own that I am now involved with. Guess getting old beats the alternative.

Again, these are awesome and I appreciate your sharing them with us! clap.gif
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    I am just in love with your work! There a few photographers work on here that when I see they posted a new thread i go straight to it! Were all of these shots ambient or were you using some fill on them? I just want my shots to look this good!
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Rock on Fred.....ROCK ON! These are all fabulous. I like the tones and processing thorughout..even the one you aren't sold on...very nice. Great creativity in angles in comps throughout the set!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Wohooooo!!!!! I looooooooooooove this set. Fun, colorful, a beauuutiful couple, not posy ... Just perfect!!! iloveyou.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Wohooooo!!!!! I looooooooooooove this set. Fun, colorful, a beauuutiful couple, not posy ... Just perfect!!! iloveyou.gifclap.gif

+1

Your work is continually awesome... every thread is better and better. I just don't know what to say...

bowdown.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    A big ++++++++++++++++++++ from me!

And you amaze me: you've now posted bunches of sessions from this location yet... theyall look COMPLETELY different. Now *that* is skill.

I love all of them, but especially 5, 6 and 1 (in a style which I think of as "Furey-izing") rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the comments! This is one of my favorite e-sessions to date... and I can't wait for their wedding next summer! They are getting married in a field next to a dairy farm...

To answer a few questions: No fill on any of these. The light was puuuurfect when we were down low on the mountain. We were super lucky with that. I went back for another shoot 2 days later and the light was a lot more harsh.

When we went up the mountain a bit it was bright sunshine, so I used the 60 inch brolly on a stand as artificial shade. It creates the perfect light. You can really see it in the shot I am not sold on the processing... the shadow line is right around their hips.

Again thanks to everyone for the nice comments! It makes my day a happy whistling day.:saurora
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Truly good work. And truly inspiring too. They obviously think a lot of you to go the distance for this Shoot. I adore seeing photos like these...very inspiring~
    tom wise
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    HOT! HOT! HOT set!!!! Love them all, but 1, 6 & 8 are my favorites. #1 looks like it's right out of a magazine ad....so fun and refeshingly different! Love the warm tones and light. Wonderful work! iloveyou.gif