Options

High school soccer pics

mntentmanmntentman Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited October 5, 2009 in Sports
I have shot a fair amount of baseball, but never any soccer until this fall. Wow. It's a tough sport to shoot... lots of bodies together, very fast action often moving away, big field, ball all over the place, etc. etc. But it has been fun.

653670317_ZPGtn-L.jpg

653668842_VkfTn-L.jpg

653669258_o6a5U-L.jpg

653690488_ddzvu-L.jpg

653692508_gtzUY-L.jpg

653690141_d3k6t-L.jpg

658179037_VLKrk-L.jpg

665538939_Yu4zY-L.jpg

665539614_4iw2v-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    mntentman wrote:
    I have shot a fair amount of baseball, but never any soccer until this fall. Wow. It's a tough sport to shoot... lots of bodies together, very fast action often moving away, big field, ball all over the place, etc. etc. But it has been fun.

Nice job. #1 is a great capture, you could probably crop it to an even nicer portrait.

Love # 2 but same comment

# 4 I would crop out the player on the right. makes for a cleaner pic.

Love 6 and 7 nice job on those. They look like they were tough to capture.

I have been shooting soccer for many years and these are good shots. The colors and clarity are particularly good here.clap.gif
  • Options
    attorneyjayattorneyjay Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    mntentman wrote:

I also learned on baseball and later found soccer to be very challenging. Nearly constant action leaves little time for taking a breath. On the other hand, there is no lack of opportunity for good shots if only due to the sheer volume of action.

You did a nice job with your shots so you obviously learn quickly!

Jay
  • Options
    mntentmanmntentman Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    Jacobovs wrote:
    Nice job. #1 is a great capture, you could probably crop it to an even nicer portrait.

Love # 2 but same comment

# 4 I would crop out the player on the right. makes for a cleaner pic.

Love 6 and 7 nice job on those. They look like they were tough to capture.

I have been shooting soccer for many years and these are good shots. The colors and clarity are particularly good here.clap.gif

Thanks much for the comments, I appreciate it.

I actually enjoyed taking #7 because I could set up and focus on a spot as I knew what was coming. That's why I like shooting baseball.... yes, you have to go to where the action is, but if there is a runner on second, I can set up by third base as there is a good chance that's where the action is going.

I'm finding my best lens, a 70/200 f2.8, is a little short for soccer but if I can be near the action, it takes nice pics.
  • Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    1 and 3 are underexposed. It looks like you have some shade on that field. As you're shooting with relatively short glass, I'd avoid that spot.

5, 7, and 9 are also underexposed, but this is because you're shooting into the sun. You can read a bit more about setting up to do this more effectively here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=145712

1, 2 ,8, & 9 should be cropped verticle

If it was me, I'd dump 3 & 5. Backsides just aren't that interesting.

4, 7, & 9 don't do a lot for me either.

Hopefully I don't sound too harsh, but I figured you're looking for some critique. Keep working at it and post more.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!