Options

Need advice on lens

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited October 6, 2009 in Cameras
I'm looking to get a new lens. I bought the Sigma 17-70mm lens and am just not real happy with what results I'm getting. So, at any rate I'm looking to sell it, but before I do I would like to get a lens that will give me a nice range, low light abilites. At first I thought the 35mm 1.8 lens from nikon would be good because I love the results my 50mm give me. So I love prime lenses, but also would like some zoom. My friend thought that I might want to just get the 18-200 vr lens, but I've also heard 24-70mm 2.8 sigma was good too.

Any help or advice?

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,829 moderator
    edited October 4, 2009
    The Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 Di-II LD Aspherical is a very nice "standard" zoom and compares fairly well to the best lenses in the same range and aperture.

The Nikkor 17-55mm, f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX is somewhat better than the Tamron and demonstrably much better than the Nikkor 18-200mm in image quality and usability in low-light.

The Nikkor 18-200mm, f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF DX AF-S VR is more of a consumer lens with good, but not great, image quality, a wonderful range, but relatively slow aperture.

The Sigma 24-70mm, f/2.8 EX DG Macro Aspherical is a relatively good zoom lens but there may be considerable sample variation. Be sure to purchase from a supplier that has liberal return/exchange privileges.

Similarly, the Nikkor 24-70mm, f/2.8G ED AF-S is a wonderful standard zoom for FF Nikon cameras but may not be wide enough by itself for a crop (DX) camera body.

Remember that your D40x body lacks a focus screw mechanism so you need lenses with a built-in motor for AF on that body. The D90 will work with any lens with Nikon AF, "F" mount.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    KrawDaddyKrawDaddy Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 5, 2009
    I'm looking to get a new lens. I bought the Sigma 17-70mm lens and am just not real happy with what results I'm getting. So, at any rate I'm looking to sell it, but before I do I would like to get a lens that will give me a nice range, low light abilites. At first I thought the 35mm 1.8 lens from nikon would be good because I love the results my 50mm give me. So I love prime lenses, but also would like some zoom. My friend thought that I might want to just get the 18-200 vr lens, but I've also heard 24-70mm 2.8 sigma was good too.

Any help or advice?

For low light, I use a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 and a 80-200 f/2.8 for sports in low light or indoors. Both of these are older lenses I bought off Ebay but they work extremely well in low light.
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    +1 for the 80-200...crazy good value!
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    KrawDaddy wrote:
    For low light, I use a Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 and a 80-200 f/2.8 for sports in low light or indoors. Both of these are older lenses I bought off Ebay but they work extremely well in low light.

KrawDaddy, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comments and I agree.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    KrawDaddy, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comments and I agree.

I appreciate your input. I guess what I'm needing to know is more for my photo needs. I don't have a store where I can go and try out different lenses.

I have been shooting more weddings and I shoot families, portraits...etc.

I need a lens that will work well in low light, but have some zoom...not necessary to zoom way in though, (probably at least 70mm or 80mm).

As I mentioned I bought the 17-70 mm lens but it's not a constant 2.8 and I'm finding that I need to shoot in RAW because the images are constantly hot in the face and that is not what I want.

So for what I shoot, what would you think would be the best lens. I don't want to spend $ on something that I will find I don't need or like.
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2009
    ... I have been shooting more weddings and I shoot families, portraits...etc.

I need a lens that will work well in low light, but have some zoom...not necessary to zoom way in though, (probably at least 70mm or 80mm).

As I mentioned I bought the 17-70 mm lens but it's not a constant 2.8 and I'm finding that I need to shoot in RAW because the images are constantly hot in the face and that is not what I want.

So for what I shoot, what would you think would be the best lens. I don't want to spend $ on something that I will find I don't need or like.

If you're sure about needing the 70mm then the Nikkor 24-70mm, f/2.8G ED AF-S is a great choice. Fast enough aperture for weddings, reasonably sharp wide open and very, very sharp by f4 (the aperture I generally use for candids with a flash). It's fairly heavy but rewards you with nice images.

Reviews:

http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/236-nikkor-af-s-24-70mm-f28g-ed-review--test-report

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_02.html#AFS24-70FX
    ziggy53
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    the nikkor 24-70mm is superb but pricey at near $2k. The next best in that zoom range in my estimation and after a lot of research is the sigma 24-70mm HSM (not the macro) at about 1/2 the price. But I had to get a 2nd copy to get a good one. If you have the patience for this possibility then that is my reccomendation. It will AF on both your bodies.thumb.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    I don't have a store where I can go and try out different lenses.

You can rent them online, though. Check out BorrowLenses.com.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    the nikkor 24-70mm is superb but pricey at near $2k. The next best in that zoom range in my estimation and after a lot of research is the sigma 24-70mm HSM (not the macro) at about 1/2 the price. But I had to get a 2nd copy to get a good one. If you have the patience for this possibility then that is my reccomendation. It will AF on both your bodies.thumb.gif

How would I know if I got a good copy, what would I look for to see that it's performing as it should?
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    How would I know if I got a good copy, what would I look for to see that it's performing as it should?

While you could put a prospective lens through a battery of focus and sharpness tests, the only tests that really matter is whether the lens is working for your intended need. Try to design a situation similar to your intended use that shows the merits and faults of the lens.

If you intend to use the lens primarily for weddings, for instance, attend a wedding as a guest but shoot it as though it were a paying event.

You can rent another copy for comparison, to use as a benchmark, and see if a purchased copy is better or worse.

You should have a feel for lens quality by now and you should be able to compare against other lenses in your own kit. A lens of the cost and caliber of the Nikkor 24-70mm, f/2.8G ED AF-S should easily beat a consumer quality zoom, and should be very similar in image quality to a prime, for instance. Especially make sure whatever you get can beat your Sigma 17-70mm, DC Macro since that is the lens you wish to replace.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    While you could put a prospective lens through a battery of focus and sharpness tests, the only tests that really matter is whether the lens is working for your intended need. Try to design a situation similar to your intended use that shows the merits and faults of the lens.

If you intend to use the lens primarily for weddings, for instance, attend a wedding as a guest but shoot it as though it were a paying event.

You can rent another copy for comparison, to use as a benchmark, and see if a purchased copy is better or worse.

You should have a feel for lens quality by now and you should be able to compare against other lenses in your own kit. A lens of the cost and caliber of the Nikkor 24-70mm, f/2.8G ED AF-S should easily beat a consumer quality zoom, and should be very similar in image quality to a prime, for instance. Especially make sure whatever you get can beat your Sigma 17-70mm, DC Macro since that is the lens you wish to replace.

Thank you Ziggy, I appreciate your feedback.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009

I have said this many many times before....I shoot almost exclusively Sigma Lenses.....I have NEVER gotten a bad or just a fair lens.....all the lenses I have owned ove rthe past 30 some years have been fantastic copies rivaling those of Nikon and Canon .....they have all been sharp as a tack....I do send my lenses out for a cleaning and lubrication ever 3-5 yrs.....not a warranty repair....I foot he bill and send to a repair center about 40 miles from my house (Pho Tech in Hesston Ks....it is a Nikon authorized repair senter but Ihave sent lens copies for Minolta, Fuji and other brands I have owned and they all come back nice and clean inside and out.....I do this cause my lenses are out in all kinds of adverse weather and I take as good a cero them as I do my Archery Equipment and my FireArms...........

The only way to tell if a lens is working properly is to use it....if it focuses, zooomz smoothly and records the image properly it is working properly.....if you get a bad image then you must discern if it is sensor, shutter or lenses.....

I would not recommend any of the 18-? super zooms....none are fast enuff

Sigma did not get to be one of the largest lens manufacturers in the world by producing inferior products..........

I have had bad lenses by minolta, yashica, nikon, kiev, hasselblad and fuji........no one is perfect and all companies produce crap at times.....it is just a fact of life.......

That is why warranties and guarantees are made for products................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website