• Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    link fixed...sorry!
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I am going to be hard on you:D

The only appealing element that this photo gives me is a couple riding down an ally . The first thing that would had improved this shot would have been to get them from the front. The second would be to get closer so you could at least see them clearly.

I think there is a great story behind it, but the picture, IMHO, at least needs to match the story in uniqueness, right?

Did you do something in PP, because the oranges look REALLY orange! I also think that you shook when you took the picture.

But like I said, great story!

What is your story behind this shot?

If what I have said is wrong, please correct me. I am not a pro at critique sir.
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    [QUOTE[/QUOTE]

Not surprisingly, I disagree with Mr. Quite on countless levels. My only 'complaint' is that the bike riders are a bit lost. But then that's the point, no? I like the isolated figures, disappearing down the alley and into the maze. Who are they? Where are they going? Something is happening here, but we don't know what it is...or do we? I've tried a bit of a crop, and burning of the bikers and dodging of everything else. But I still wish we were a bit closer to the riders. But I certainly don't need to see their faces - this isn't their "Senior" photo and I don't care what they look like. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Not surprisingly, I disagree with Mr. Quite on countless levels. My only 'complaint' is that the bike riders are a bit lost. But then that's the point, no? I like the isolated figures, disappearing down the alley and into the maze. Who are they? Where are they going? Something is happening here, but we don't know what it is...or do we? I've tried a bit of a crop, and burning of the bikers and dodging of everything else. But I still wish we were a bit closer to the riders. But I certainly don't need to see their faces - this isn't their "Senior" photo and I don't care what they look like. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Woooops - my treatment was too radical. Ah well...
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    Thanks all. I also like the solitary moment it conveys...and if you've traveled to the remote parts of rural Shanghai, you know the feeling I'm talking about. I took this with a Nikon 885. The colors are a little weird, but this jpg was hard to work with. My initial treatment 5 years ago was b/w but I tried a color version to see if the mood changed at all.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    This must be the thread of surprises since I seem to be in line with BD here. mwink.gif That doesn't seem to happen often.

My only wish-list item here is that the cyclists were a bit more discernable. With a bit of effort, I can tell its two people, the second sitting sideways on the back of bike, but wish it were just a bit larger so I could tell better. Of course, some of the issue may just be the compression down to the screen losing a bit there as well. I like the many textures and the single subject in the frame.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    yeah Andrew, thanks...for me the point is the lonely couple riding off into the grey, air pollution-filled, new (believe it or not) development...
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    The development in the distance is new, but they are riding through some older segment or construction area, right?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I've seen several scenes like this over the last couple of years and I've not been satisfied with any of the images I've taken of them. It's an empty feeling, especially knowing that that specific spot probably bears no resemblance today to when you were there. Heck, I've seen streets disappear one day to the next in Pudong.

This image expresses the lack of physical continuity that exists for so many in the shifting world of Shanghai. I don't like it.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    TOTALLY! That is the feeling. I'm glad you get it.
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    That's two for two. mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    Andrew, what is most intriguing is that before 1993 or so, NONE of that was there. It was all swamp and farmland. So, in Pudong, 5 years is pretty old.
  • Options
    Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    conceded
    bdcolen wrote:

Not complaints, my opinions, and I will concede one point to you:D You are right, it would not work as well if it was taken from the front. Do we always disagree B.D.? Um.....you only said one level there prof. Colen sirrolleyes1.gifrofl Man, this is a rough crowdclap.gif
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson