Options

Something fishy at Turner Field

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited October 7, 2009 in Sports
For a while now I've been wanting to get a fisheye twilight shot of Turner Field, home of the Atlanta Braves.

I found the spot a while ago, but it was a day game on a cold and overcast afternoon. On that occasion, the results were adequate but not satisfactory.

144060438_6Ux6Q-M.jpg

What I wanted was a sky similar to what I shot at the US Open at the beginning of September. That lovely blue that you get shortly after the sun has set.

639343291_77jXE-M.jpg

But that lovely blue is not universal at sunset. What you get depends upon your orientation to the setting sun. I believe that if you're pointing more or less opposite to the setting sun, the color isn't quite as nice. That was much on my mind as I huffed and puffed my way to the top of Turner Field and waited for the perfect moment.

And this is what I got. I may go back and re-shoot someday. But for the time being, it will do.

666483099_7JfQk-XL.jpg
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited September 30, 2009
    Beautiful, I love that last shot.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2009
    Hey, I know where that is :D

But I lacked fishy eyes :cry

276106863_pyUoA-L.jpg
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2009
    That last one is a great shot! Nice shots to both of you.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2009
    OhEddie wrote:
    Hey, I know where that is :D

But I lacked fishy eyes :cry

276106863_pyUoA-S.jpg

lol3.gif

Nice shot. thumb.gif I've always wanted to duplicate those stadium shots I've seen in newspapers and magazines. It's one of the reasons I got a fisheye. Married to a full frame sensor it gives those great views of the stadiums (or is it stadia? headscratch.gif)

I've been advised that fooling with the white balance will make my sky bluer. Sadly, I can't layer in Lightroom v1.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited October 4, 2009
    I love the reflection of the field on the overhang.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif

Nice shot. thumb.gif I've always wanted to duplicate those stadium shots I've seen in newspapers and magazines. It's one of the reasons I got a fisheye. Married to a full frame sensor it gives those great views of the stadiums (or is it stadia? headscratch.gif)

I've been advised that fooling with the white balance will make my sky bluer. Sadly, I can't layer in Lightroom v1.

Do a search for NIK VIVEZA or NIK Color Efex Pro. Both of those programs will let you alter color, brightness, and contrast in a photo, for a given point. I am trying out the 15 day trial of NIK VIVEZA as a plug-in for LR 2.5 right now.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    TechvTechv Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Great fisheye shots!
    Pro sports stadiums look really spectacular with panoramic photography.

One other technique to consider would be to shoot an HDR series.
    This would let you tone map for a deep blue sky with the stadium lights on earlier in the evening.

Here's a shot I did at Fenway a few years ago. No fisheye, so it's just stitched panoramic made from hand-held stills (no HDR).
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Techv wrote:
    Great fisheye shots!

ditto - that's excellent, Sid.

Techv wrote:
    Pro sports stadiums look really spectacular with panoramic photography....
    ... stitched panoramic made from hand-held stills (no HDR).

not just the pros, either, though they certainly look great.

Techv, I love multi-shot stitched panos - this was built with three shots from my wife's P&S Coolpix (not a camera I'd recommend, btw); I'll be sure to take a bit more camera with me for the next game I attend. http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenv/3960725443/sizes/o/