Options

Pricing question

kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited October 9, 2009 in Weddings
Hello board that knows all! :bow I am hoping that you can help me out a little. Recently I was asked to work up a quote for a wedding for a couple that a friend of mine did their coed bridal shower for. They loved the pictures so much that even thought they knew we were less experience they wanted us to do the wedding. So we worked up a quote for 8 hours, 2 photographers for 1000. (I originally forgot to put that they would get an online viewing and a cd of the pictures). I got an email yesterday that the quote from their original photographer was 2300 for 6 hours, 2 photographers, a videographer that was 400$ included, and an album. She then stated that she thought our price was a ittle high. We really enjoyed working with them in the past and would love to do the wedding, however, we want to make some money out of the deal. So I was thinking about saying that price will include an album as well. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    kyeezie wrote:
    Hello board that knows all! bowdown.gif I am hoping that you can help me out a little. Recently I was asked to work up a quote for a wedding for a couple that a friend of mine did their coed bridal shower for. They loved the pictures so much that even thought they knew we were less experience they wanted us to do the wedding. So we worked up a quote for 8 hours, 2 photographers for 1000. (I originally forgot to put that they would get an online viewing and a cd of the pictures). I got an email yesterday that the quote from their original photographer was 2300 for 6 hours, 2 photographers, a videographer that was 400$ included, and an album. She then stated that she thought our price was a ittle high. We really enjoyed working with them in the past and would love to do the wedding, however, we want to make some money out of the deal. So I was thinking about saying that price will include an album as well. What do you guys think? Thanks!

I think your quote is more than reasonable, if quite a bit low. But I haven't seen your portfolio to base that on. Also, what album was included? It is all relative...

I would run from a lowballing bride. They are never satisfied. I would welcome them to go with the other photographer, or be satisfied with your quote. Sure you can throw something in to sweeten the deal, but my experience is there is always one thing more they want, be it photos at the level of the more experienced photographer, or crazy amounts of photoshop time or prints or something.
  • Options
    TGAllenTGAllen Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    My $.02...

I don't think you should lower your price unless you just really want to shoot their wedding. They could still hire the videographer for $400 and have $900 left to get an album made. Plus you are offering 2 more hours of coverage.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    kyeezie wrote:
    Hello board that knows all! bowdown.gif I am hoping that you can help me out a little. Recently I was asked to work up a quote for a wedding for a couple that a friend of mine did their coed bridal shower for. They loved the pictures so much that even thought they knew we were less experience they wanted us to do the wedding. So we worked up a quote for 8 hours, 2 photographers for 1000. (I originally forgot to put that they would get an online viewing and a cd of the pictures). I got an email yesterday that the quote from their original photographer was 2300 for 6 hours, 2 photographers, a videographer that was 400$ included, and an album. She then stated that she thought our price was a ittle high. We really enjoyed working with them in the past and would love to do the wedding, however, we want to make some money out of the deal. So I was thinking about saying that price will include an album as well. What do you guys think? Thanks!

2 people, 8 hours $1k? Assuming you take decent photos and have reasonable gear and backup gear..that is a very fair price.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    kyeeziekyeezie Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm still thinking about what to do. The other photographer has only done 1 weddings but takes great pictures and I would like to think I've done ok too. I've done about 7 weddings and lots of other events. We both have backup equipment so we each have enough for about 4 photographers. I did give them a low estimate, I thought, considering we have already done pictures for them and they love them and that's when they pretty much begged us to give them a price. I guess I will sit on it for a couple days. If i do include an album, it won't be a 500$ one, that's for suremwink.gif. Thanks again and I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    What are you paying your second shooter? What will you both owe the IRS and your state govt for taxes? Album design will take about an hour to three hours a page, more if you haven't done one before. It appears that you will actually be shooting below your cost when you add up your real expenses, including equipment divided by number of weddings, web site costs, insurance, software, transportation, etc. I'd tell them that I had offered them a below- cost deal that I normally charge XXX for (for what you described, the average would be about $2500 -$3000 in the Northeast...), for no good reason other than I liked them.
    For someone whose work is good, and who has seven weddings under her belt, take Heather's advice. They are trouble, and shooting for a pittance yields zero appreciation. People value what they pay for. Don't undercut that other photog...If they want an album, offer it as an add-on for a design fee of $800, which will be less than $20 an hour for your highly skilled time, and album cost of $500, or more, depending on what company you use. That cost will put you even with the others, and they can choose whose work they like best. If they really love your work, they will recognize the ridiculously great deal you have offered them, and will make their own consumer level album with the CD, since the bride is obviously frugal to a fault. And if they don't go with you, be grateful for having been spared the agony of the (ususally) unappreciative budget bride.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009

I would run from a lowballing bride. They are never satisfied. I would welcome them to go with the other photographer, or be satisfied with your quote. Sure you can throw something in to sweeten the deal, but my experience is there is always one thing more they want, be it photos at the level of the more experienced photographer, or crazy amounts of photoshop time or prints or something.
    Sage words, well put together= Experience!

I recently had a gal sound iffy...we'd shot together before, and she was thrilled...still it's a Wedding...So since they were having a Wedding Show at the place she is to get married...I suggested she go and talk to as many vendors incl. photographers as she could find...She did...She's now due back to my house on the 14th to sign the Contract. I wasn't worried one bit..I know what I offer and what I am willing to give. Incidentally, this same gal is a friend of mine and I reassured her it wouldn't harm our friendship if she chose another photographer.

Sounds like warning signs are beginning to show for you....She's seen your work, she knows what she's got there...And your price comparably to the other cat is L o w ~ Also, I don't really like it when folks try to play me against someone..

Good Luck~
    tom wise
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    You could quote what the additional cost would be for and album. Do you know a videographer? Maybe she just really wants it all in one package. You are offering a lot for the money already. I would perhaps give her a couple more package options that she can choose if she's willing to pay more.
  • Options
    DustinFinnDustinFinn Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I am with Smirfy... I agree with that 100% - maybe even more than 100%...
    People:> www.DustinFinnPhotography.com
    Nature, Places and things :> www.DustinFinn.com
    Random Upload www.Flickr.com/photos/DustinFinn
  • Options
    sebmoursebmour Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Your price is already low.

I am at 6h= 2500$ and 10= 4000$.

This included my assistant not second shooter.

I also give them the images on a portable HD.

you can see my work at

www.sebastiendamour.com
    Photography is the projection of my vision and mind.

http://sebmour.smugmug.com
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    at the end of the day you always have to just look yourself in the mirror and ask, "do I want to do this at that price." I agree with the others, it sounds like a very fair price to me.
  • Options
    CrossbarphotoCrossbarphoto Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    sebmour wrote:
    Your price is already low.

I am at 6h= 2500$ and 10= 4000$.

This included my assistant not second shooter.

I also give them the images on a portable HD.

you can see my work at

www.sebastiendamour.com

Run don't walk! If they come back to you for the shoot, then you know they value your work.

Sebastian, your work speaks for itself. I am sure you have no problem lining up work and charging a good price!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I think your quote is more than reasonable, if quite a bit low. But I haven't seen your portfolio to base that on. Also, what album was included? It is all relative...

I would run from a lowballing bride. They are never satisfied.

Heather is absolutely right - you are opening the door to the client from hell. Run, do not walk away from this one.:ivar
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    kyeezie wrote:
    I got an email yesterday that the quote from their original photographer was 2300 for 6 hours, 2 photographers, a videographer that was 400$ included, and an album. She then stated that she thought our price was a ittle high.

Don't change your prices! She is directly trying to lowball you by telling you another quote she got and asking you to beat it. Other people charge what they're willing to live with, but you have to charge what you feel yourself is worth, charge what you feel makes you happy!

I have had clients in the past who are great to work with because I was just starting out, but ran as I raised my prices to market level. It sucks at the beginning but it also shows you how much they value photography, and it means that they just weren't the target clients you want to go after. Know that there are many, many people out there who will book you at any price if they like you for what you offer!
    Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
    Site
    Blog