Great info on the NYC Mega-stores

FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited March 17, 2010 in Flea Market

Comments

• promoguypromoguy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    FlyNavy wrote:
    http://www.donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

When in doubt...Buy from B and H or Adorama and never worry!

Nice photo store safari. So question. Butterfly seems to have some good remarks on resellerratings.com

Also, buyersedge.com seems to have good comments.

I'm not affiliated with either nor bought from either, but will be shortly from one or the other.
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    promoguy wrote:
    Nice photo store safari. So question. Butterfly seems to have some good remarks on resellerratings.com

Also, buyersedge.com seems to have good comments.

I'm not affiliated with either nor bought from either, but will be shortly from one or the other.

i always buy from the "big boys"...but this definitely reinforces the things i have read recently about the NYC stores. wow. thanks for the link! thumb.gif
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • akentakent Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 29, 2009
    Well......
    Living in New York I have to say that its nice having B&H when you need something on sunday or you just have a huge gaping hole in your pocket as you can find EVERYthing under one roof, but when it comes to buying camera stuff I'm a firm believer in building a relationship with a smaller reputable local place. Not only am I a huge advocate of supporting small local business, but lets be honest, at B&H you are a number not a customer. They could seriously care less about you as a person or if you return. Also, if you have a problem while on a shoot your sol. A smaller company like calumet or photocare will be there to help you if you need them and are in a bind. I personally am a huge fan of Calumet Photographic. Yes, B&H might be cheaper on a few things here and there but to me its worth sitting and talking with someone who a, knows what they are talking about and b treats you like a person not cattle. I love to hate B&H and rumor has it, they are thinking of opening another bigger store in brooklyn even closer to me which has my wallet shivering in its boots...
  • gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    akent wrote:
    Well......
    Living in New York I have to say that its nice having B&H when you need something on sunday or you just have a huge gaping hole in your pocket as you can find EVERYthing under one roof, but when it comes to buying camera stuff I'm a firm believer in building a relationship with a smaller reputable local place. Not only am I a huge advocate of supporting small local business, but lets be honest, at B&H you are a number not a customer. They could seriously care less about you as a person or if you return. Also, if you have a problem while on a shoot your sol. A smaller company like calumet or photocare will be there to help you if you need them and are in a bind. I personally am a huge fan of Calumet Photographic. Yes, B&H might be cheaper on a few things here and there but to me its worth sitting and talking with someone who a, knows what they are talking about and b treats you like a person not cattle. I love to hate B&H and rumor has it, they are thinking of opening another bigger store in brooklyn even closer to me which has my wallet shivering in its boots...

the linked article doesn't mention Calumet and i wouldn't classify Calumet as a small reseller like those discussed above. i think the point is to stick with well-known retailers vs. unknown online merchants that are run out of a garage or shed somewhere. thumb.gif
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    B&h
    I totally would not say you are just a number. I have called with lighting gear questions and been given the absolute best service from B&H multiple times.

I also have shopped in person locally with Canoga Camera (www.canogacamera.com) and can say they are also a place to shop with confidence. They're here in the Los Angeles Area. I have also never had a bad experience with Samy's Camera (www.samys.com) either in person or by web/mail/phone.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Needed a battery in the worst way today Called B&H and Adorama and both were closed. They close early on Fridays (1:00) and are closed Saturdays.

Googled "Camerashop in NYC" and the closest one to me was 42nd Street Photo (a small store, mom and pop type joint). I called them asked for a specific battery, they told me they had it, quoted a price of $49.99 (same as the big boys but closer to me)--I ran over on my lunch hour and asked for the battery. Not only do they bring out the wrong one, they also say "since you were coming over I decided to charge it for you"--um ok I didn't ask you to, but I suppose it's going the extra mile, that or you are selling me a used one--then I tell them it's the wrong battery. 20 minutes later the right battery comes out, I'm at the register and I get a call on my cell, the old man at the register eyeballs the guy who brought out the battery and mouths "how much" the guy whispers back "$64.99, I hang up the phone and the old man at the register says"$79.99!!! Can you believe that?
    So I told them I was quoted $49.99 over the phone, I showed them my printouts of the prices at the other stores and then I started walking away, he says "ok ok you can have for $54.99--I said no $49.99 he said ok with tax $54.99 (tried to rip me off every step of the way) If i hadn't been desperate I would have walked away, now I hope the battery works when I get it home.

B&H and Adorama rule!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Needed a battery in the worst way today Called B&H and Adorama and both were closed. They close early on Fridays (1:00) and are closed Saturdays.

Googled "Camerashop in NYC" and the closest one to me was 42nd Street Photo (a small store, mom and pop type joint). I called them asked for a specific battery, they told me they had it, quoted a price of $49.99 (same as the big boys but closer to me)--I ran over on my lunch hour and asked for the battery. Not only do they bring out the wrong one, they also say "since you were coming over I decided to charge it for you"--um ok I didn't ask you to, but I suppose it's going the extra mile, that or you are selling me a used one--then I tell them it's the wrong battery. 20 minutes later the right battery comes out, I'm at the register and I get a call on my cell, the old man at the register eyeballs the guy who brought out the battery and mouths "how much" the guy whispers back "$64.99, I hang up the phone and the old man at the register says"$79.99!!! Can you believe that?
    So I told them I was quoted $49.99 over the phone, I showed them my printouts of the prices at the other stores and then I started walking away, he says "ok ok you can have for $54.99--I said no $49.99 he said ok with tax $54.99 (tried to rip me off every step of the way) If i hadn't been desperate I would have walked away, now I hope the battery works when I get it home.

B&H and Adorama rule!

B&H and Adorama are both currently closed for the Jewish Holidays - I believe they re-open on Monday.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2009
    "Googled "Camerashop in NYC" and the closest one to me was 42nd Street Photo (a small store, mom and pop type joint). I called them asked for a specific battery, they told me they had it, quoted a price of $49.99 (same as the big boys but closer to me)--I ran over on my lunch hour and asked for the battery. Not only do they bring out the wrong one, they also say "since you were coming over I decided to charge it for you"--um ok I didn't ask you to, but I suppose it's going the extra mile, that or you are selling me a used one--then I tell them it's the wrong battery. 20 minutes later the right battery comes out, I'm at the register and I get a call on my cell, the old man at the register eyeballs the guy who brought out the battery and mouths "how much" the guy whispers back "$64.99, I hang up the phone and the old man at the register says"$79.99!!! Can you believe that?
    So I told them I was quoted $49.99 over the phone, I showed them my printouts of the prices at the other stores and then I started walking away, he says "ok ok you can have for $54.99--I said no $49.99 he said ok with tax $54.99 (tried to rip me off every step of the way) If i hadn't been desperate I would have walked away, now I hope the battery works when I get it home."

My son had the same experience with them. He ordered a camera on-line. The next day they called him and said his Sony DSLR does not come with a battery but for only $59.99 they will sell you one of theirs!!!! It took him several phone calls to cancel his order.
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2010
    hajii wrote:
    Trotsky held the ketchup bottle in his hand and dispensed some of the thick sticky red paste into the bend of his plate, before picking a fire, dipping it in the tomato ketchup and plucking it into his mouth, while saying:

Best first post ever!
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.