Options

What do you give commercial clients

JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
edited October 9, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
OK. for you commercial photogs.

I've gotten a few commercial gigs and I have a feeling I'm going to get more. I need to stabilize my pricing, contract, and licensing.

Commercial photography is based around the intended use of the photos to be for commercial purposes (Ads, Web, Products, Materials, etc). So when they hire you they want to use those photos for that purpose and they don't want to see another 'hidden' fee.

So with my dayrate
1. I intend to include a license.

IS this what you do. What kind of license do you include and do you charge extra if they want multiple usages.

2. I also intend to show my best work which means editing.

Do you charge extra for the editing or is this also in your day rate.

3. Looking for other tips or guidance.

Thanks
Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
~ Gear Pictures

Comments

• Options
    BenoitBenoit Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited October 9, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Commercial photography is based around the intended use of the photos to be for commercial purposes (Ads, Web, Products, Materials, etc). So when they hire you they want to use those photos for that purpose and they don't want to see another 'hidden' fee.
    The voice of total inexperience speaking (but hey! I read John Harrington! :D )

The way I see it, there really is two components you need to take into account:
    - The day rate/creative fee
    - The licensing fee based on intended usage.

The creative fee is typically based on the complexity of the shoot and the amount of time you figure it will take and your cost of doing business, etc... This should include all the fees to rent equipment, smoke machine, catering, etc... Often, this is what is termed the day or hourly rate. You charge $150/hr and you estimate it will take 3 hours (and you don't need to rent stuff, etc...) then the creative fee would be $450. I would include the retouching in this fee, especially if you're talking about 1 or 2 final images. If it's headshots of 30 executives, you might want to charge by photo instead.

The licensing fee is obviously based on usage and you need to have a good discussion BEFORE you can even quote for the job.

Now, talking about hidden fees, what I would do is talk to the client, get all the details of the intended usage and then what you do is provide a quote that includes both components.

If it's a small job, then you could simply bundle it like that:

Quote for Restaurant promo brochure

This quote is to provide 6 interior photographs or your restaurant for inclusion in your upcoming marketing campaign. The quote includes the following usage license for one year: 3 shots for postcard, all 6 shots for web site use, 1 shot for use in local newspaper ad campaign.

Your total cost is: xxx

If it's a bigger job, they appreciate line items since it allows them to negotiate on certain aspects of the job.

If it takes you 20 minutes to take the picture because you're efficient, then you make more money. if it takes you 4 hours, then you loose some but it's based on your estimation capabilities.
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    So with my dayrate
    1. I intend to include a license.

IS this what you do. What kind of license do you include and do you charge extra if they want multiple usages.

2. I also intend to show my best work which means editing.

Do you charge extra for the editing or is this also in your day rate.

3. Looking for other tips or guidance.

Thanks

The usage license is determined by the clients needs. I have rates based on local, regional, national, international.

My rates are based on time, whether that is taking images, editing images, proofing, or delivering.

Some clients will need a break down of the time, shooting, editing, proofing, but the accounting office just needs to know the bottom line. X hours for X price.

When you bid out jobs, you need bottom line price and then you can break it down from there if they need it. No commercial client wants to here about extras after the contracts are signed.

Most larger clients will have contracts ready for you prior to taking the images. Go over the details with a fine tooth comb and adjust your quote as necessary.

The thing that gets overlooked the most is web imaging. You will need to know if they allow image downloads.
    Steve

Website