Options

Just a few images of a Bride...

RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
edited October 9, 2009 in Weddings
Working with OCF.
2 Vivitars...
Yes, we shot some without the chase... and different locations...

3990877689_a148ab0e72_o.jpg

3991632830_c9753342f1_o.jpg

3991632474_fa00df7553_o.jpg
Ryan McGill

My Gear

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I think the first is my favorite, for the context. Love how she's got two sets of shadows...one from the sun and some from the lights.

I feel like the flash/lights might be a little hot.

Also for these types of contextual portraits I like them moving a bit...shaking their hair a little to loosen up...looking away from the camera etc. No one would sit in the field in a dress on a chaise, so these shots (IMHO) need to be a bit more artful, intentional.

These are nits as the colors and model are lovely, and I know she will be very pleased with them.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    I think the first is my favorite, for the context. Love how she's got two sets of shadows...one from the sun and some from the lights.

I feel like the flash/lights might be a little hot.

Also for these types of contextual portraits I like them moving a bit...shaking their hair a little to loosen up...looking away from the camera etc. No one would sit in the field in a dress on a chaise, so these shots (IMHO) need to be a bit more artful, intentional.

These are nits as the colors and model are lovely, and I know she will be very pleased with them.
    Thanks for the crits. I am thick skinned enough to handle them. :) Thanks for the kind words as well.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Options
    DustinFinnDustinFinn Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    I really like the lighting, the sky for some reason looks odd to me, but I am not concerned that much.

The only thing I dont like is the pose, I love the idea of motion from the above poster but here the arm extended and angled upward creates an odd line for me and I don't care for what it does to the bust line.

I also love you're using the Strobist "OCF" tag...
    People:> www.DustinFinnPhotography.com
    Nature, Places and things :> www.DustinFinn.com
    Random Upload www.Flickr.com/photos/DustinFinn
  • Options
    edited October 7, 2009
    DustinFinn wrote:
    I really like the lighting, the sky for some reason looks odd to me, but I am not concerned that much.

The only thing I dont like is the pose, I love the idea of motion from the above poster but here the arm extended and angled upward creates an odd line for me and I don't care for what it does to the bust line.

I also love you're using the Strobist "OCF" tag...

Sky was masked in... It was a quick and dirty masking. I need to tone it down a bit. :)

Good catch on the bust line. Something I wish I had noticed during the shoot.

Yeah, those strobist do crazy things... I think it is ok I stole their tag. ;)
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    Clean work!

#1 is my favorite as it gives more context and the hard lighting looks better from a distance than close up. I think it might have been better if you moved her and the chase closer to you and lower in the frame. This would get her head below the line of the hill.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2009
    nice.

my only nit pic is it looks a little flashy. the harsh shadows give it away. but, i bet the bride won't notice. they just look at the smile!
  • Options
    ClixphotoClixphoto Registered Users Posts: 228 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    Working with OCF.
    2 Vivitars...

285s perhaps? I have one 285 and am considering another. Did you shoot through or into umbrellas? How do you fire them? What camera and lens are you using?

I think you handled the harsh light well. Good Job.
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2009
    Clean work!

#1 is my favorite as it gives more context and the hard lighting looks better from a distance than close up. I think it might have been better if you moved her and the chase closer to you and lower in the frame. This would get her head below the line of the hill.
    Thanks and nice pointers.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2009
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    nice.

my only nit pic is it looks a little flashy. the harsh shadows give it away. but, i bet the bride won't notice. they just look at the smile!
    It is a bit "flashy", but I did not use any modifiers. :D Thanks!!!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Options
    edited October 9, 2009
    Clixphoto wrote:
    285s perhaps? I have one 285 and am considering another. Did you shoot through or into umbrellas? How do you fire them? What camera and lens are you using?

I think you handled the harsh light well. Good Job.
    That is correct. I use Cybersyncs. Bare flashes. 24-105 on Canon 5D

Thanks!
    Ryan McGill

My Gear