Options

Washington DC at night - where's best?

tlphotostlphotos Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
I have a business trip to Washington DC next week for a few days, my first time out. I will be in conferences all day, so only have nights to shoot. I will be staying at the Churchill in the Dupont district and only there weekdays. I wish I had more time but do not.

I plan to go to the national mall, both night and a dawn trip. I definitely plan to bring a tripod, a wide angle (Canon 17-55 f/2.8) as well as a superzoom (just in case I need it).

Considering I maybe only have one more night to shoot (and possibly meet up with friend with a car), where else would be a prime night shoot? I am very much not familiar with Washington DC, so any suggestions (and tips) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Washington at night - one of my favorite subjects and times to shoot! If your time is limited, you can't go wrong on the Mall - it's easy enough to walk from one end to the other, giving you plenty of different views to shoot. That alone can take up one evening. Another spot I found (and looked to be popular, given the 3 other photogs that showed up) is across the river near the Marine Corp Memorial. To the south of it, there is an open field, with a clear view of the Mall:

287865744_iXC8T-M-2.jpg

The spot is between the Marine Memorial and the Netherlands Carillion, but you will need a car to reach it from the city.

I have more DC photos here:

http://www.moose135photography.com/Travel/Washington-DC/1736802_YD9B6/1/85863305_4izL4
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2009
    Marine Memorial aka Iwo Jima Memorial has some good shots at night, but IMHO it puts you too far away from everything else to make a really good "night" out of capturing DC. The Lincoln Monument is stunning at night, and if you find the right place by the water, sunsets are stunning near the Kennedy Center and the Tidal Basin. There are actually night tours as well, such as the Duck Boat tours, that will cover all the "main" sights and maybe some off the beaten path as well. And of course, the Capitol Building is a great night location.

I will give you a heads up....be careful if you are on the Mall alone at night. Last fall and winter we saw a sharp increase in muggings and armed robbery. Mostly of tourists with cameras or flashy clothing/jewelry, walking alone or in couples.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    tlphotostlphotos Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2009
    pwp wrote:
    Marine Memorial aka Iwo Jima Memorial has some good shots at night, but IMHO it puts you too far away from everything else to make a really good "night" out of capturing DC. The Lincoln Monument is stunning at night, and if you find the right place by the water, sunsets are stunning near the Kennedy Center and the Tidal Basin. There are actually night tours as well, such as the Duck Boat tours, that will cover all the "main" sights and maybe some off the beaten path as well. And of course, the Capitol Building is a great night location.

I will give you a heads up....be careful if you are on the Mall alone at night. Last fall and winter we saw a sharp increase in muggings and armed robbery. Mostly of tourists with cameras or flashy clothing/jewelry, walking alone or in couples.

Thanks for the tips. I'll do a Google search, but do you know of any good tours or photo clubs that would be more for getting out and spending a little photo time at the mall?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    I have to say that I always took DC for granted when I lived in Baltimore, so other than "the mall" I have no advice. However there are lots of nice things to see, as long as you stay aware of your surroundings and as previously mentioned, be careful!

Fellow Dgrinner eoren1 took some fantastic photos of the city before he moved to Boston. I certainly hope he doesn't mind me sharing them but I just love this photo. It's just unforgettable. :D
  • Options
    pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    tlphotos wrote:
    Thanks for the tips. I'll do a Google search, but do you know of any good tours or photo clubs that would be more for getting out and spending a little photo time at the mall?

The group I "run with" tends to stay south of the metro area, but if you wanted to let me know when you are going to be in town, I might be able to get a few of us together for a shoot. PM me with dates, if you like! It's been a while since I shot there at night!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2009
    When I went I walked to the Jefferson Memorial and to the FDR Memorial.

On way to Jefferson:

148486543_joJue-L.jpg

Jefferson:

148487282_5psFp-XL-1.jpg

View of Jefferson/Washington Monument walking to FDR Memorial:

148488322_ftR8f-L-1.jpg

148487963_exXru-M.jpg

148488619_zgg2n-M.jpg

FDR Memorial:

148489826_neN6u-L.jpg
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    These came out great! So how was the weather that time of the year/day?
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    The Hirshorn Sculpture Museum's Sculpture Garden is open until dusk (http://hirshhorn.si.edu/info/page.asp?key=207&subkey=141#1). It has been pretty cool to just admire before I was traveling with camera. Might be worth a look. I am not sure what is in the garden snow.

The Mall and War Mermorials have lots of cool stuff.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    esc2476esc2476 Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    schmoo wrote:
    These came out great! So how was the weather that time of the year/day?

Thanks! wings.gif

It was late April I think and was sunny (for 2 of the 3 days) with daytime around 75 and night around 55. We walked so much, I felt warm even at night.
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    tlphotos wrote:
    I have a business trip to Washington DC next week for a few days, my first time out. I will be in conferences all day, so only have nights to shoot. I will be staying at the Churchill in the Dupont district and only there weekdays. I wish I had more time but do not.

I plan to go to the national mall, both night and a dawn trip. I definitely plan to bring a tripod, a wide angle (Canon 17-55 f/2.8) as well as a superzoom (just in case I need it).

Considering I maybe only have one more night to shoot (and possibly meet up with friend with a car), where else would be a prime night shoot? I am very much not familiar with Washington DC, so any suggestions (and tips) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

West side of the Capitol building is a great location. 5th & Pennsylvania, NW for a pano of the Capitol, turn around and you can get the Washington Monument. If you have dinner at the Hay Hotel, you can get a great arial shot of the White House. Ohio & Independence, NW for Roosevelt & Tidal Basin and the steps of Lincoln will give you a great shot of the reflecting pool, Washington Monument & Capitol (see 2nd photo of my slideshow). Note that you cannot use tripods inside any of the monuments....Gravely Point off of George Washington Pkwy is great b/c you have the monuments and the planes land about 50 feet above your head at Reagan Nat'l Airport. Have fun!

Almost forgot, M Street in Georgetown...overlooks Rosslyn (Arlington, VA) over the Potomac River
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook