Options

Garden critters

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited June 18, 2005 in Holy Macro
Shot this guy before dinner. He was waving his front legs slowly in front - almost like he was washing them but I couldn't tell.

bug_leaf.jpg

I shot these tonight in front of the house. Slave-triggered Sunpak did the lighting. The little spider was hating me for misting his "perch". I just couldn't find the right angle to really catch the water on the web (and truthfully, not a lot wanted to stick). These blooms should be open by this weekend.

lily_spider1.jpg

lily_spider2.jpg

lily_spider3.jpg

All done with F717 handheld.
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    The first shot and going by the head shape and what looks like wings, you have taken a shot of something we don't see very often. A flying ant Tristan. Some do have wings and its great to see a shot of one. What else hints that its a flying ant, is the waving of the antenna like that. Thats typical ant behaviour. Often you will see those vibrate at a heck of a rate.

That is one very small spider. Very small by the looks of it, so nice ratio.

All the best Tristan. BTW, what are you using on front of the 717 ???

Danny.
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    nzmacro wrote:
    BTW, what are you using on front of the 717 ???
    Just a UV filter. thumb.gif I'd like to get my hands on a 250D, but that's low on the list right now.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    nzmacronzmacro Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Yes the 250D is an excellent twin lens design. Now if you want a less costly alternative that is still a twin element design and optically as good as the 250D, check out a Nikon 6T or the 4T. Both exactly the same, just a different thread size. For the cost, they are brilliant and quite a bit less in cost than the 250D. On the 717 they would be excellent to use.

Anyway, fine shots and just keep them coming.

Danny.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Hi Tristan,
    The ant? shot looks like he's bowingbowdown.gif. Cool shot. The flowers really take center stage on the other shots. I like your dramatic lighting and the colors are beautiful, especially with the water drops. The spider is so tiny, I think it acts as an accent for the flowers.

Nice shots,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2005
    Great shots. thumb.gif The ant looks like it's shaking its fists at the young ants, who were playing to close to him. :D

And the flower shots really stand out because of the dark background, and the nice drops.

Nice series Tristan.

AJ
  • Options
    Jekyll & HydeJekyll & Hyde Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2005
    J: Really nice job even without a macro lens! It's fun to capture bugs doing interesting sruff.

H: I like the lone bud. Great exposure and focus.

J: If you want to highlight the spiderweb further, select it it Photoshop and increase the sharpening, it'll brighten up whatever you have of it.

H: Like Danny says, get that 250D sometime. Your image size won't increase any, but you'll get more elbow room to light your subjects.

J: Speaking of lighting, have you tried the Pillsbury Flash Diffuser for the built-in flash? (Get the "Grands" size)
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=5406554

H: It softens the light, and also eliminates the "lens shadow" if you're not using a close up lens. Just don't let it hang over the end of the lens, or else you'll splash light onto the front objective.

J: I'd also recommend removing the U/V filter when shooting macros. You'll want as clear a picture as possible. Especially when adding other lenses to the mix.

H: Have fun in the backyard.
    J&H