Options

"Looking In"

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited October 10, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Preparing to select and sequence a group of images, I am spending some time with the relatively new, massive book of and about Robert Frank's "The Americans," called "Looking In." It is the book that goes with the exhibition celebrating the 50th anniversary of the publication of "The Americans" now making its way around the country. (It's now at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC.)

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. Yes, it is more than a tad 'over stuffed.' But it gives you the original contact sheets from Frank's Guggenheim-sponsored trip around the U.S. It gives you his original mock up of the book. It gives you a number of informed essays about the work and its place in the history of photography.

Seriously, if you're interested in street or documentary photography, or photo journalism for that matter, this really is a must-spend-some-time with, if not a must-have.

B. D.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Looking In
    This book with its marked up contact sheets is a great lesson in learning how to edit. I still have a long, long way to go in learning to edit my own work; however, even if I don't always understand it all, I recommend this book for showing you other ways to see.

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com