Options

Which back-up device ?

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited October 10, 2009 in Technique
I am going to be away for a couple of days with to time to communicate and shooting like hell. :D

I can't take my Macbook because it is too heavy to carry with all the equipment I want to drag (20D+70-200 f/2.8 IS+ 1.4x + 5D+24-70 f/2.8 + 580 EX II + G9 )

Chargers elsewhere.

I need a back-up disk. ( I have an old one of only 12 GB which doesn't seem enough )

An Epson P-6000 would suit fine but a bit too expensive.
Or a Canon Media Storage with only 80 GB also pretty expensive.

I need something cheap and simple which reads compact flash, SD cards and eventually others.

There is no need to see the raw files after downloading.

I would like to get some suggestions please.:D

:bow:bow:bow
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 10, 2009
    Antonio, if I could not use my MacBook Pro and a pair of hard drives, I would just buy a half dozen 8 Gb cards and use them, and them copy them when I return home.

I have used the Epson devices, and my wife uses a Hyper drive, but I just do not have enough faith in a single hard drive to trust my images solely to them.

I write my cards to two separate 320GB portable hard drives when travelling, or I just keep the cards until I return home.

You can buy 8 Gb CF cards from Amazon ( Transcend ) for $21 - so for $160 ( maybe 100 Euros??) you could have 6 8GB cards or 48 Gbs of storage without having to copy anything anywher euntil you return home. Just a suggestionne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    It's a good suggestion Jim. :Dbowdown.gifbow

And considering that I have already 4Gb+2GB+1Gb (Sandisk Extreme III) + 1Gb (Delkin clearly lower) + 2*256 Mb = 8.5 Gb I could buy for some more cards. For example 2*8 Gb. I would have then 24,5 Gb of cards.

That would easily solve the problem.
    And my old backup device eats about 400 raw files from the 5D...

But that wouldn't solve the "problem" of the second back-up.

An Epson P-7000 costs in Portugal 700 € (1,030 US$ rolleyes1.gifrofl) and a 4Gb CF Extreme III 107 US$. Expensive, expensive !

Curious: in UK the same Epson device costs 852 US$. Better than 1.030 US$ !

But the device is not yet available neither in Portugal nor in UK.:cry

But... I think I go for the Epson P-7000 and keep all my cards.

I can even store a film from the G9 !

:Dbowdown.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook