Options

Getting close

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited October 11, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Off the back of B.D.'s exercise, I thought I'd start a discussion on fears and techniques around getting closer. It's been interesting for me over the last four weeks as I've travelled between five countries and cultures. No images in this thread.

I'm generally less bothered getting close when I feel alienated or separated from the subjects emotionally, culturally or linguistically. Being back in Australia for a couple of weeks brought that to the fore as I knew they could tell me off and that I'd know I was being told off, if you know what I mean. Being in China and not speaking the language provides cover for invading personal space. That and the definition of personal space is different.

What was surprising and educational were the three days in Singapore. I walked a very uninteresting piece of shopping nirvana everyday, Orchard Road. Definitely Asian in character, but I'd always get taken aback that English is native there. Most people knew immediately that I was a street photographer and were happy to chat before and/or after depending on when they noticed me.

It's really difficult to break through being in someone else's personal space with a camera. What's even harder is being there and having them stop noticing you. I'm going to need a lot more practice.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    I gotta admit I think I'm imposing. I'm private myself and that may be the basis for my discomfort.

I was brought up (in NY, NY) not to look at people. If you did you might invite a confrontation or personal involvement in somebodies problem.

Not making any headway in that direction, I now believe I have to sneak snaps, which results in poor quality snaps.

But I have begun to realize I have little interest in people for PJ, for the most part. I am trying for a better understanding.

Although I do appreciate the effort for personal best in a competition.
    Rags
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    I'm a walk-by shooter myself,still nervous.
    I think if you look like you know what you are doing and you are good enough not to take too much time in getting the shot, they don't care much (there is always an exception). But if you are fumbling and nervous they pick up on it, it's as though there is a bright orange arrow over your head saying "loser photographer and wannabe" (or is that just me?:D )--Anyway, I feel this insecurity gives them an opening to be rude to you or to question you and get the upper hand---I am working on erasing that arrow by being more comfortable behind the camera. It's like with everything else "never let the see you sweat"--
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I'm generally less bothered getting close when I feel alienated or separated from the subjects emotionally, culturally or linguistically.
    It's really difficult to break through being in someone else's personal space with a camera. What's even harder is being there and having them stop noticing you. I'm going to need a lot more practice.

Your thoughts?

I'm exactly the opposite. I do a lot better with getting close after I've gotten to know somebody and feel connected in some way. I spend a lot of time just sitting quietly and observing until I'm no longer noticed before I start taking photos. But then, most of what I do is documentary, not street shooting.

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com
  • Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    I'm exactly the opposite. I do a lot better with getting close after I've gotten to know somebody and feel connected in some way. I spend a lot of time just sitting quietly and observing until I'm no longer noticed before I start taking photos. But then, most of what I do is documentary, not street shooting.

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com

I definitely see your point. If I were shooting documentary, I would absolutely want to understand as much as I could about the subject and the environs. I'm hoping to try my hand at that soon.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Off the back of B.D.'s exercise, I thought I'd start a discussion on fears and techniques around getting closer. It's been interesting for me over the last four weeks as I've travelled between five countries and cultures. No images in this thread.

I'm generally less bothered getting close when I feel alienated or separated from the subjects emotionally, culturally or linguistically. Being back in Australia for a couple of weeks brought that to the fore as I knew they could tell me off and that I'd know I was being told off, if you know what I mean. Being in China and not speaking the language provides cover for invading personal space. That and the definition of personal space is different.

What was surprising and educational were the three days in Singapore. I walked a very uninteresting piece of shopping nirvana everyday, Orchard Road. Definitely Asian in character, but I'd always get taken aback that English is native there. Most people knew immediately that I was a street photographer and were happy to chat before and/or after depending on when they noticed me.

Your thoughts?

This is very interesting.

I"ve been thinking about this A LOT since BD posted the exercise. He and I exchanged some pm's where I explained my specific reasons for not doing much street photography and why I would likely not attempt the exercise despite my interest in it, but since the subject is under discussion I'll go public here...

1. I was mugged a while back. No big deal, no great harm done. BUT - given that it happened in my considered-to-be-extremely-safe, suburban, family neighbourhood - I'm now pretty wary of putting myself out there in any situation which feels like an unprotected environment. Strangely, I feel safer in a bustling urban environment (ie NYC) than other places, but I suspect that's exactly because of the impersonality (is that even a word?!) that you describe above. Tourist areas share the same kind of more approachable vibe, IMO; not sure why.

2. The city where I live is known to be a really, REALLY dangerous town. I would not want to be a woman alone with a camera who pisses off the wrong person. Nuff said.

3. Moving past those more practical and personal demons, I just hate feeling like I'm invading somebody's privacy! Weird. I can happily stand up in front of 3000 people and bare my soul, , but feel self-conscious, vulnerable and awkward if I try to speak to a stranger on the street. Then again, most singers find it harder to sing for an audience of 10 than 10,000, so I guess I understand it.

So there you have the reasons I personally don't do street photography, even though the genre fascinates me, and I have the most intense admiration for those who successfully do it. Ironically, some of my favorite pictures/sets have been "fly-on-a-wall" stuff that I've done, but my presence was always approved beforehand and I knew that I was good to shoot whatever I wanted however I wanted. I guess I'm one of those people who does better asking for permission than forgivenesss rolleyes1.gif

Good discussion, Jen.
  • Options
    seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    I'm a walk-by shooter myself,still nervous.
    I think if you look like you know what you are doing and you are good enough not to take too much time in getting the shot, they don't care much (there is always an exception). But if you are fumbling and nervous they pick up on it, it's as though there is a bright orange arrow over your head saying "loser photographer and wannabe" (or is that just me?:D )--Anyway, I feel this insecurity gives them an opening to be rude to you or to question you and get the upper hand---I am working on erasing that arrow by being more comfortable behind the camera. It's like with everything else "never let the see you sweat"--

Not just you :))

I think many photographers look guilty which is perhaps the same as insecure, or a result of guilt. You have to get past that (and it can be a constant struggle). It kills you on the street. If you look like you know what you are doing, preset the camera, think, think, think ahead, work quickly and move on, you'll often be better off. People's reactions can be a mirror of yourself. If you are happy go lucky this can reflect back, or at least limit negative reactions.

That's contingent on the situation, too.

Often I'll find someone to connect with in a situation as well, someone who belongs, and use them as an anchor for a sphere of possibilities in the near vicinity.

Or, I'll just find that perfect place where the light is right, the background is right, and I'll wait and try to blend (my favorite) and wait for the actors to hit their mark, literally even. I have in fact chalked a mark on the sidewalk where, for instance, a shaft of light reflects off the skyscraper, or the geometry is right, et al, and waited for something to happen. Lamposts are good ;-)) Street cafes sometimes too. Or, as Tina mentioned, I'll get to know people and become part of the scene itself photographing from the inside out.

I think it's a matter of intuition on the fly to make a choice on how you want to approach and what you want to accomplish ... but the biggie is always in your own head. You gotta be cool ... ;-))