Options

Shopping for First DSLR

skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited October 13, 2009 in Cameras
First post here, so be nice.
I'm thinking of sticking with Nikon. No real reason, except I have an old FM that used to live with a Vivitar Series 1, 28-105, that I was really happy with. The FM is destined to keep the canoe from running up on the rocks, in it's next life as an anchor!
I'm now using a Canon G9. Again, it does a fine job. One complaint I have with it, is the delay from pressing the shutter release, to the camera taking the picture.....the target has already rounded the next corner. Missed again!
I've been looking at the Canon/Nikon line ups. Top of the line Rebel or the D60 or D90.
I'd like something I won't outgrow. I'm not a "pro" level photographer, and I never will be. I like spending hours in the canoe waiting for something to happen.
Will my Series 1 work in a DSLR?
Thanks.
Lyle
Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3

Comments

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    the D90 is a GREAT camera ! If it's in your budget, you really can't go wrong with it. It also has good enough ISO speed and versatility that it'll grow with you.
    //Leah
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2009
    skysailor wrote:
    First post here, so be nice.
    I'm thinking of sticking with Nikon. No real reason, except I have an old FM that used to live with a Vivitar Series 1, 28-105, that I was really happy with. The FM is destined to keep the canoe from running up on the rocks, in it's next life as an anchor!
    I'm now using a Canon G9. Again, it does a fine job. One complaint I have with it, is the delay from pressing the shutter release, to the camera taking the picture.....the target has already rounded the next corner. Missed again!
    I've been looking at the Canon/Nikon line ups. Top of the line Rebel or the D60 or D90.
    I'd like something I won't outgrow. I'm not a "pro" level photographer, and I never will be. I like spending hours in the canoe waiting for something to happen.
    Will my Series 1 work in a DSLR?
    Thanks.
    Lyle

Any of the latest DSLR line-up can be with you for a long while. You mentioned canoeing more than once, and since that involves water and being outside, I'd at least reccommend a camera with water sealing, like the Nikon D200 or D300. I like the D90 myself, but it isn't water sealed. I had the D200 before upgrading, and I'd still have it if I didn't need high ISO capability. The D90 and the D300 surely are a step above the D200, but not by a lot.

I think that lens you mention will mount on your DSLR Nikon, but not autofocus. And lots of folks find Auto focus a must in the wild and at home. Nikon and other makers make plenty of affordable (relative) Lenses for the camera of your choice.

TIme for some Canon folk to chime in.....I wouldn't suggest buying Nikon just on the sole lens you do own, I'd sample the other items before choosing.

cheers,
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2009
    I'm not thinking Nikon because of that lens. I know that would be a mistake. Nikon has a 18-105 that would be on my shopping list if I go Nikon. The canoe thing is not a big deal. Weather sealing would be a feature worth keeping in mind though. Might go with the D60 so I have some $$ left over for glass?
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,889 moderator
    edited October 4, 2009
    Skysailor, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Tom (angevin1) is giving good advice about Nikon. I'm a Canon shooter, but the honest truth is that there are very many good cameras out there from all the major manufacturers that are very good quality and sill yield similar image quality to an 8" x 10" print.

There are a good many used cameras as well, and a gently used older model can save quite a bit of money. You won't get the same warranty as new (unless you buy a third party warranty), but if you buy from one of the reputable firms you generally get enough time to test and return for any serious problems you might notice from the start. Used lenses are another good way to purchase, again I would recommend purchasing from a reputable firm.

I like:

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx
    http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=category&cat1=Used
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Used-Equipment/ci/2870/N/4294247188

P.S. There is also our own Flea Market which often holds great values. "Caveat emptor" applies.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    My recommendation for a capable, consumer DSLR kit:

Nikon D3000, 18-55mm VR

Nikon 70-300mm VR

Total Cost: $1,054.90 from B&H (see links) - and no tax!

Cool add-ons: SB400 Flash($100), 50mm 1.8 lens($100)

For outdoor daylight use and indoor snapshots, it's a superb combo. You'll be ready for anything. For you're purposes I think the D300 would be overkill. The D90/D60 are overpriced IMHO.

The 18-55VR is a SWEET lens for DX cameras. Great for wide landscapes and indoors. The 70-300VR will give awesome reach and image quality on a DX camera. Very good for sports, wildlife, portraits, and telephoto landscapes. All for $1000... :D

I would not worry too much about the weather sealing issue. I doubt you'll find yourself canoeing in the rain very often, and if so you'll need a camera/lens cover regardless of which body you have. My D700 has great weather sealing, but not enough to handle much more than infrequent misting.
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    My recommendation for a capable, consumer DSLR kit:

Nikon D3000, 18-55mm VR

Nikon 70-300mm VR

Total Cost: $1,054.90 from B&H (see links) - and no tax!

I'm not a Nikon user, but after reading this review, I'd be inclined to avoid the D3000:

"Nikon's Worst DSLR Ever" http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3000.htm
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2009
    Don't overlook Olympus!
    The E-30, E-620 and E-3 are very aggressively priced for what they offer.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Don't overlook Olympus!
    The E-30, E-620 and E-3 are very aggressively priced for what they offer.

I will agree here......if did not need some of the specials that only Nikon offers I would have gone OLY (was looking heavily at the E30).......the E30 has all the greatness of the E3 without the price...................Oly offers a great lens line up also...................

If your stuck on Nikon I would suggest looking for USED d200 or D300's.....my D300 are out in rain and blowing wind all of the time.....I got 2 used D300 for less than the price of a New D300 so I made out like a banditiloveyou.gif

As for the Viv Ser.1 lens.....how old is it.....Vivatar has discontinued the S1 lenses so many times it is not funny......I used to shoot everything with a Ser. 1 70-210 and loved that lens and curse the theif that stole it from me almost everyday......
    Any there is a kit that will allow it to be used as a MF lens on the DSLR'S.........do yourself a favor and do not look athe D40,60 or 80.....let the D90 be the lowest end Nikon for you however as I said above a good used D300 off ebay then you can get a warranty from Square Trade to take care of any problems down the road....just look for camera with low shutter actuation's (say 20K or less....the D300 shutter is rated for ~120K actuation's)..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    I'm not a Nikon user, but after reading this review, I'd be inclined to avoid the D3000:

"Nikon's Worst DSLR Ever" http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3000.htm

Ahh...Ken Rockwell :D I find it funny that he labels it the worst ever...considering that he loves everything about it but the higher noise vs. the D40. His comparison does not specify the noise reduction settings of each camera, which could easily explain the apparent lack of NR in the D3000 shots.

Here's a couple alternate reviews:

http://photo.net/equipment/nikon/D3000/review/
    http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_d3000_review/

I agree with Art, the D300 is a sweet camera; I had one before I got the D700. If you can afford it($1100+ used), a D300 would be even better than the worst DSLR ever!
  • Options
    craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Ahh...Ken Rockwell :D I find it funny that he labels it the worst ever...considering that he loves everything about it but the higher noise vs. the D40. His comparison does not specify the noise reduction settings of each camera, which could easily explain the apparent lack of NR in the D3000 shots.

Ken loves his Nikons, and as he says up front, the D3000 is a good camera, it's just (in his view) that every other Nikon DSLR is better. My point in referencing his review was not to diss Nikon, but just to ask whether the D3000 is really the best choice.

Ken's a real contrarian, and that's part of what I like about him, along with the fact that, as an engineer with a background in optical processing, he understands the actual technology better than most camera reviewers.

Right now he's on a big kick of "The Leica M9 spells the end of the DSLR", which I find a little screwy considering the M9 is a $7000 camera. The pictures he gets out of it are wonderful, though, and who knows what may happen in a few years when the same kind of technology becomes available at a lower price pont. The M9 is pretty sweet, and if I had $7000 to burn I might buy one for the advantages it has in some areas (smaller, lighter, and less conspicuous than a DSLR, better wide-angle lenses), but as Ken knows quite well, there are some things a rangefinder can't do well (telephoto, macro, mounting on telescopes, etc.).
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2009
    I think I'll be going with D60. That way, I might have a few bucks for a lens. Something in the 28-105 range, and go from there. Thoughts? Lyle
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    craig_d wrote:
    Ken loves his Nikons, and as he says up front, the D3000 is a good camera, it's just (in his view) that every other Nikon DSLR is better. My point in referencing his review was not to diss Nikon, but just to ask whether the D3000 is really the best choice.

Ken's a real contrarian, and that's part of what I like about him, along with the fact that, as an engineer with a background in optical processing, he understands the actual technology better than most camera reviewers.

Right now he's on a big kick of "The Leica M9 spells the end of the DSLR", which I find a little screwy considering the M9 is a $7000 camera. The pictures he gets out of it are wonderful, though, and who knows what may happen in a few years when the same kind of technology becomes available at a lower price pont. The M9 is pretty sweet, and if I had $7000 to burn I might buy one for the advantages it has in some areas (smaller, lighter, and less conspicuous than a DSLR, better wide-angle lenses), but as Ken knows quite well, there are some things a rangefinder can't do well (telephoto, macro, mounting on telescopes, etc.).

Ken Rockwell is well Ken Rockwell lol3.gif sometimes you just headscratch.gif when reading his reviews.

Basically the reason he said it is the worst DSLR ever is the menu system, he is used the standard Nikon one so of course when they change it for beginners he is going to be annoyed and not know where things are.

The thing that he doesn't mention once in his commentary is how it compares to the D60 which is what the camera is based on. I care a lot more about if it's noise is different than the previous 10MP Nikon than how it compares to the old 6MP.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2009
    skysailor wrote:
    I think I'll be going with D60. That way, I might have a few bucks for a lens. Something in the 28-105 range, and go from there. Thoughts? Lyle

Ok call me #3 on this bandwagon.

Olympus deal.gif

For your price range you will get more camera for your money.

Their kit lens is equivalent to 28-84, and a 80-300 is only 100 dollars more.
    (14-42, 15-150, there is a 2x "crop factor")

Also the "cheap" Olympus lenses are higher quality than Nikon's...and you get built in stabilization, a sensor that basically never needs cleaned, and a lot more room to grow since the E-620 is not locked down in features like the low end Canon/Nikon.
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2009
    Okay. Guess I have some more research to do on Olympus. No rush here. Want to buy the right camera. Thanks all.
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2009
    Ok call me #3 on this bandwagon.

Olympus deal.gif

For your price range you will get more camera for your money.

I'm actually a Pentax guy but find the 620 very compelling.

Great kit lenses, as was already mentioned.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2009
    E-620
    I can get the 620 with the 14-42, 40-150, for less than i'd spend on D90 body. I is a going shopping!
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2009
    skysailor wrote:
    I can get the 620 with the 14-42, 40-150, for less than i'd spend on D90 body. I is a going shopping!

And I will be jealous deal.gif

I really have E-620 lust right now since I have been using the 420 over my Nikon/Fuji recently.
  • Options
    Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    craig_d wrote:

along with his camera "advice" Ken Rockwell is also something of a space alien kook !
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nm/aliens/index.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/analprobe/dissent.htm
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,889 moderator
    edited October 13, 2009
    Brett1000 wrote:
    along with his camera "advice" Ken Rockwell is also something of a space alien kook !
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nm/aliens/index.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/analprobe/dissent.htm

Brett1000, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Yeah, Ken is a different sort.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums