Options

Sunday Afternoon

sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
edited October 12, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Today was a quintessential autumn day in New England, a great day for a bike ride, with lots going on around Boston. I was in a Harvard Square-kind-of-mood, so pedaled over to Cambridge from Brookline (about three miles), and lucky me, stumbled into a big Oktoberfest celebration.

A festival of this type answers the "street shooting strategy question" in that it's a free-for-all of people and activities and cameras everywhere, so it's pretty much open season for photography. It's almost like cheating, in a way.

Here are a few of my favorites - see all of them, here.

677605456_6iuo7-M.jpg
677607033_hYnim-M.jpg
677608852_gXPDx-M.jpg
677613762_RgQzE-M.jpg
677615520_MyovD-M.jpg
677620818_TBdZz-M.jpg
677643010_WucZ2-M.jpg
677610434_2cpkc-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited October 12, 2009
    These are very good. I think #6 is my favorite, though I would increase the contrast a bit. Well done.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    These are very good. I think #6 is my favorite, though I would increase the contrast a bit. Well done.
    Thank you. You're right.

678164175_iW3hr-M.jpg

This one, and #1, and the fiddler (I am also a fiddler), are my favorites.

Nothing earth-shattering here, but a great way to get out of my own head for a couple of hours, and certainly cheaper than therapy.

One more (because I think a person's footwear tells as much as his/her face): the fiddler's cowgirl boots:

677619226_5NhUy-M.jpg

Thanks for indulging me, and have a great day.
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    I like 6 & 7 most of the series. #4 is a close third -- the little girl's expression is wonderful! Very nice work.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    sara505 wrote:
    Today was a quintessential autumn day in New England, a great day for a bike ride, with lots going on around Boston. I was in a Harvard Square-kind-of-mood, so pedaled over to Cambridge from Brookline (about three miles), and lucky me, stumbled into a big Oktoberfest celebration.

A festival of this type answers the "street shooting strategy question" in that it's a free-for-all of people and activities and cameras everywhere, so it's pretty much open season for photography. It's almost like cheating, in a way.

Here are a few of my favorites - see all of them, here.
    Nice stuff, Sara - I'm partial to #1 (Of course, since no one else mentioned it.rolleyes1.gif )
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I like 6 & 7 most of the series. #4 is a close third -- the little girl's expression is wonderful! Very nice work.

Thank you, Andrew. Yes, 6 surprised me. I almost did not take it. I thought - yes - no - then at last minute, what the heck. I'm surprised at how much I like it, and am now glad I took it (it's just gigabytes for heaven's sake - what does it hurt?).

7 is a fellow I often see downtown in the subway station, playing his one-string Chinese fiddle. Apparently, he busks all over the city.

4, I thought maybe needed to be cropped, the girl's expression somehow seeming lost, but after playing with it realized I liked it best in context of the crowd.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Nice stuff, Sara - I'm partial to #1 (Of course, since no one else mentioned it.rolleyes1.gif )
    B.D. - thank you. #1 is actually my favorite, too. I tried a few angles on this one - got a nice close-up portrait, but this shot, with the passersby and bicycles in the background, is the one that says the most to me.