Options

Bridal Portraits

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited October 12, 2009 in Weddings
A couple of weeks ago, I took Ashley's Bridal Portraits. I shot her wedding Sunday so thought it was safe enough to show these.

654469734_P8DbJ-L-1.jpg
654474227_tExCf-L.jpg
654546774_DAPRG-L.jpg
655528134_z9jHK-L.jpg
657458475_HrKyC-L.jpg
657459225_EBciX-L.jpg
657460567_yixgj-L.jpg
658829846_wer84-L.jpg
659910028_dXhqs-L.jpg
Now, I really would love the high keyness of the image if only that sunflare wouldn't have covered her face.
659913556_jFWXd-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    These are lovely!

I am really not one for textures at all, but I do really like the first one... I think that's the first image with texture that I actually said "wow" to. Nice job! thumb.gif

I also enjoy #8 very much. I wonder whether it would work if you cropped a little off the top so that the image becomes low and long.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    barbnjonbarbnjon Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Awww...good ole Indiana. Right? Don't you love the Hoosier state in the fall?

These are really good. Love the textures.
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    #8 is my fave of the group.
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    #8 is my fave of the group.

15524779-Ti.gif

Ditto, I love #8.
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    I really love 1, 8 and 9.

I think you did a fantastic job of posing and composing these shots overall. Amazing job integrating her and her dress, personality into "scenes" without looking too contrived. Personally, I really see your growth in having "vision" in this set! I am going to borrow some of your poses...especially 8! looks fantastic. Great job finding something to do with her arms away from her body to keep the eye moving. Thumbs up!

That said, I think in #1 just a slight 10-15 degree turn away from you would have resulted in a more flattering angle.

Which leads me to my overall critique, that you *really* have to make every effort to shoot plus size subjects from a higher angle. 6, 7 and 9 are suffering from low angle especially at such close distances. She's a gorgeous model and really would benefit from shots where she's looking up at you, which would open her eyes up, as well. I've yet to find a bride (size 2 or 20) that doesn't benefit.

ETA: the more I look at 8 I wonder if flipping horizontally works better as the eye moves from top left to bottom right, in general. See what you think (I can remove if desired). I really, really like this shot!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    ETA: the more I look at 8 I wonder if flipping horizontally works better as the eye moves from top left to bottom right, in general. See what you think (I can remove if desired). I really, really like this shot!

Ok, that is just crazy. I like it sooo much better! Do you try that often Lynne?

Also, Julie, add to Lynne's comments about shooting in flattering ways: the all important arm position. A slight bend of the elbow is good but hands on the hips accentuates the size upper arm and is like pointing an arrow to the hips. Which is great if you have a teeny little thing to shoot and she needs to add curves, but not so great for us girls with voluptuous curves. For a larger girl try shoulders back, elbows slightly bent (different amounts of bend in both arms) 3/4 turn, chin tucked slightly out and down but towards the camera and see if you can focus on getting a strong jaw line and show off the slenderest part of their waist. Shoot from slightly above and it will help a bunch.

Find her her most beautiful asset and show it off, whatever it is. This girl has some really pretty eyes, hair and face, so I would have done some uber close shots.

Love what you did with 1, it is so purdy. You do so nice with the textures!
    #3, you did a great job with your reflector or flash or whatever you did for fill. Nicely handled backlighting.
  • Options
    MishkaMishka Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Ooh...nice textures! I'm also not usually a big fan, but these were really well done.

Number 8 is also my favorite...and I liked it flipped, too! I'm not really digging number 4, though. I think it makes her look larger than life with the building so small in the background. Not exactly flattering.
  • Options
    JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    Mishka wrote:
    Ooh...nice textures! I'm also not usually a big fan, but these were really well done.

Number 8 is also my favorite...and I liked it flipped, too! I'm not really digging number 4, though. I think it makes her look larger than life with the building so small in the background. Not exactly flattering.

ah as soon as I read that...I got ya...it does. That's a good point. :)
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    I really love 1, 8 and 9.

I think you did a fantastic job of posing and composing these shots overall. Amazing job integrating her and her dress, personality into "scenes" without looking too contrived. Personally, I really see your growth in having "vision" in this set! I am going to borrow some of your poses...especially 8! looks fantastic. Great job finding something to do with her arms away from her body to keep the eye moving. Thumbs up!

That said, I think in #1 just a slight 10-15 degree turn away from you would have resulted in a more flattering angle.

Which leads me to my overall critique, that you *really* have to make every effort to shoot plus size subjects from a higher angle. 6, 7 and 9 are suffering from low angle especially at such close distances. She's a gorgeous model and really would benefit from shots where she's looking up at you, which would open her eyes up, as well. I've yet to find a bride (size 2 or 20) that doesn't benefit.

Lynne, I would love to get with you because I really need to "see" how to pose plus size people. I really really do struggle with that. Also, my question is how do I shoot above a person when I'm 5'2 and she is much taller than me. I've got a step stool but it's not real tall.

I really appreciate both Heather's tips and yours...it really does help me out and your compliments mean a lot to me.

I'm serious Lynne, I would love to meet up with you if you are willing some weekend when business slows down.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2009
    LIke the other posts' think a higher angle as well as uber close is a good answer. Like said; just play off of the assets.. I personally like the bridge photo in it's original orientation, but would hesitate to use it, thinking she might think she looks as if she is holding it up. For me though, it's killer!!

But I do like the textures and this gal has some dreamy eyes and creamy skin!

I hear you on the EQ thing, but admit to wheeling a cart now a days with me including a 6lb aluminum ladder. I'm only 5'10, but I can never seem to get a high enough angle to suit me....until that ladder.
    tom wise
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    Lynne, I would love to get with you because I really need to "see" how to pose plus size people. I really really do struggle with that. Also, my question is how do I shoot above a person when I'm 5'2 and she is much taller than me. I've got a step stool but it's not real tall.

I really appreciate both Heather's tips and yours...it really does help me out and your compliments mean a lot to me.

I'm serious Lynne, I would love to meet up with you if you are willing some weekend when business slows down.

RE: how do you shoot above...well, squatting works a lot for me! ;)
    http://www.lynnehulbert.com/Morris/getting-ready/8830971_USBbH#585075978_BszeG-L-LB

Also, just looking for opportunities to shoot from above. You on stairs/porch/higher ground etc rather than the subject.

I have an e-shoot this weekend you're welcome to tag along...email me for details!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2009
    love em! nice use of texture! I need to learn to do that!
  • Options
    GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2009
    These are fabulous. I'm perusing everyone's wedding photos for creative ideas and i really love these. She's a beautiful woman too, I'm sure she loved these! you are very talented. :D
    A couple of weeks ago, I took Ashley's Bridal Portraits. I shot her wedding Sunday so thought it was safe enough to show these.

654469734_P8DbJ-L-1.jpg
    654474227_tExCf-L.jpg
    654546774_DAPRG-L.jpg
    655528134_z9jHK-L.jpg
    657458475_HrKyC-L.jpg
    657459225_EBciX-L.jpg
    657460567_yixgj-L.jpg
    658829846_wer84-L.jpg
    659910028_dXhqs-L.jpg
    Now, I really would love the high keyness of the image if only that sunflare wouldn't have covered her face.
    659913556_jFWXd-L.jpg
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    I really like #8. I love the use of the textures! Thanks for sharing!
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    I really like 1 and 8. Love textures, that is my winter project for this year, is to learn how to do textures.

Number 8 is my favorite.
    The girl definitely needs to be on the left side, the eye goes left to right not right to left.