Synchronized Horse Racing

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited October 16, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
(I almost considered posting these in Wildlife, but trained horses are hardly wild (unless you count the one I saw buck the jockey off his back), so I posted them here, because of my reason for processing these images.)

I went to Santa Anita Racetrack early Saturday morning. While chimping my pictures I found these three successive images and decided to process
them first. What is most surprising is that this happened on two separate occasions, with different sets of horses. Look carefully at the horses legs!

1:
Synchronicity117.jpg

2:
Synchronicity118.jpg

3:
Synchronicity119.jpg

Or is there a new Olympic sport: "Synchronized Horse Racing"? :D
Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• rickbernrickbern Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    That's cool
    Sometimes it's absolutely amazing what you see when you kick back and look at what you just shot!

Do you pan the camera to match the speed of the horses? I've never done too much action stuff, that looks tough! What kind of shutter speed do you use to get these?

Rick
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Nicely done! I wonder if the horses generally do that.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    This is really cool -- lucky you to be able to catch it with your camera thumb.gif
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    rickbern wrote:
    Do you pan the camera to match the speed of the horses? I've never done too much action stuff, that looks tough! What kind of shutter speed do you use to get these?

Rick

Yes, pan for the horses and use a slow shutter. In the case of these three, they were shot at 1/100th of a second. Shoot with a slower shutter speed for more blur, faster for less.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited October 12, 2009
    Thank you, Andrew and Mary Kim.

Mary Kim. It's racing season, so getting up very early is the only drawback to getting these shots. I got there at a little before 6:00 in the morning.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    That really is quite amazing. Well captured. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    eL eSs Vee wrote:
    Thank you, Andrew and Mary Kim.

Mary Kim. It's racing season, so getting up very early is the only drawback to getting these shots. I got there at a little before 6:00 in the morning.

6:00 AM is early to be dressed and at your destination, but you do get a good jump on the day along with some good photos. We have horse racing here .. nothing big, but never headed out there. Maybe I'll try it next year.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Lee,

These are obviously military horses. They march in step, trot in step, run in step rolleyes1.gif

Cool series thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited October 14, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    Lee,

These are obviously military horses. They march in step, trot in step, run in step rolleyes1.gif

Cool series thumb.gif

Hopefully, not a goose step. mwink.gif

Thank you, everyone, for your very kind words.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• JoieJoie Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Those ARE cool pictures of the thoroughbreds' legs.

Did you get any actual race pictures? These look like they were taken at morning workouts because the riders aren't wearing jockey attire.
    I think they are training race horses.... lol.

Usually when training a race horse they race them 1 on 1 with another horse for competition. Sometimes they exercise them like this also so that they have no way of telling which horse is the racer and which is the buddy horse.... that way nobody knows which one will beat them in an upcoming race. If a new horse is that good, they don't want anyone to know until the day of.

There are also other reasons as to purchasing horses, etc but i don't know the details on how it works.
    edited October 15, 2009
    Thank you, Joie and Squiddy. Yes, these horses were training and warming up for the days races. But I didn't stay for those.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

• Holland HackerHolland Hacker Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Nicely done! I wonder if the horses generally do that.

Yes they do actually. Almost every day at thoroughbred race tracks when horses are stabled there some will be out on the track working out in the early morning hours. It is really quite interesting to watch with all of the hustle and bustle.

Trainers will "work" their horses in company, with other horses for various reasons. Sometimes it is used to getting them to run with other horses, sometimes to give a better horse a target to run at one will get a head start, and other times it will be to teach a horse the desire to pass other horses. I know the last one seems funny but by nature horses are "pack" animals and sometimes need to be taught to pass other horses and keep ruunning.