Options

LR Problems Help PLEASE :(

AroundDWorldAroundDWorld Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited October 13, 2009 in Finishing School
No matter how many photos I bring into LR2.....it can be 1 photo or a bunch...I constantly get a window that opens up saying ....

"Server Busy. This action cannot be completed because the other program is busy. Choose "Switch To" to activate the busy program and correct the problem."
Then I have a choice of buttons "Switch to" or "Retry"

I am so frustrated......no matter which one I choose the same window opens back up.....repeatedly......now my LR is just locking up completely....

I decided to completely uninstall LR then reinstall but as soon as I open LR back up, there sits the same photo I was working on with the same old problems.....arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggg!!!

Any advice please would be very very appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

modify_inline.gif

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 11, 2009
    Computer?

Operating system?

Memory?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Computer?

Operating system?

Memory?

Oh, sorry.....

Windows
    Vista
    1G Memory (RAM)

Using LR2

Thank you for any help you have to offer! :)
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    1Gig. That's not much memory when it comes to running Vista and LR. I had a machine with 4G (3 addressable) that would often start to crawl under the strain (and that was with XP which has a smaller footprint). Bring up your system monitor (ctrl-alt-del) and look at how much memory is being allocated. I'm sure you are paging memory like a demon. I'm running a 12GB Vista x64 system now, and I'm generally sitting around 3-5 GB of the memory in use while running LR.

If you haven't done so already, shut down the cool Aero interface, that is a huge suck on the system resources, and LR/CS don't play nicely with it, either.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    1Gig. That's not much memory when it comes to running Vista and LR. I had a machine with 4G (3 addressable) that would often start to crawl under the strain (and that was with XP which has a smaller footprint). Bring up your system monitor (ctrl-alt-del) and look at how much memory is being allocated. I'm sure you are paging memory like a demon. I'm running a 12GB Vista x64 system now, and I'm generally sitting around 3-5 GB of the memory in use while running LR.

If you haven't done so already, shut down the cool Aero interface, that is a huge suck on the system resources, and LR/CS don't play nicely with it, either.

WOW!! You really lost me.....:)
    A bit toooooooooooo technical for me....but I am great at "step by step" directions.
    Thanks for responding......:)
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Do this. Bring up the Windows task manager, or if you have the gadgets window, there is a cpu meter you can enable. It shows in % how much of the cpu and memory resource is used. If you use the Windows task manager (you get this up by ctrl-alt-del and select task manager), you want to select the "Performance" tab to see this information.

When idle, the cpu should read 0 or 1%, and memory will be what it is. But when you bring up lightroom, the cpu will come alive (for a bit) and then the memory usage will jump as well. So while you are doing your thing, does the memory usage (and possibly the cpu usage) start pegging in the 90% or more area? When this happens, the operating system (Vista) will start 'paging' which means swapping memory it needs immediately back and forth between the RAM and your Disk. This is very slow, but better than crashing. If you have more RAM (say 4GB) you will start paging less often.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited October 12, 2009
    WOW!! You really lost me.....:)
    A bit toooooooooooo technical for me....but I am great at "step by step" directions.
    Thanks for responding......:)

Step 1: Install another 2 GB of memory (at least).
    Step 2: Enjoy!

:D
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Step 1: Install another 2 GB of memory (at least).
    Step 2: Enjoy!

:D

Much better distillation of process... rolleyes1.gif
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 12, 2009
    Thanks, guys, you all answered why I asked the question in the beginning.

A modern editing system is minimally configured with just 4 Gb Ram.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Thank you very much!

My CPU usage ranged from 4% to around 45-47% while in LR.

I did call Adobe yesterday and they said it was an "administrative" issue and had me stop the "superfetch". (whatever that is)
    That did unfreeze my LR and seems to be working fine now.....but I only used it for a moment so far.

Silly question...I am on a laptop, can you increase your memory just as you would a desk top or are you more limited or is it more difficult?

Thanks everyone for your help!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited October 13, 2009
    Silly question...I am on a laptop, can you increase your memory just as you would a desk top or are you more limited or is it more difficult?

Not a silly question at all. Adding memory to a laptop is easy enough--just look at the user manual to find out how to open the correct panel and insert a new memory module. All of the laptops I have seen are limited to two memory sticks. I'm guessing that your machine has a 1GB stick and one free slot, which means you can add another one and still use the one you have. If you have no free slots because you have two 512MB sticks, you should probably toss them. If you are using a 32-bit version of Vista, the most you will be able to take advantage of is 4GB (the 64-bit version can use much, much more). I would suggest adding a 4GB stick., as maximizing available memory is the single most important thing to do if you want to optimize Adobe performance.