Options

Soccer tournament

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited October 13, 2009 in Sports
lots of keepers today with my good ol' 1DIIN and new 100-400L! Here's a sample...

ffc.jpg
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Nice shot. Great DOF. This is an example of the type of shots I like. It begs me to imagine what happensclap.gif next.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Jacobovs wrote:
    Nice shot. Great DOF. This is an example of the type of shots I like. It begs me to imagine what happensclap.gif next.

Thanks! The 100-400 did well for DOF when the play was on the near side of the field, but on the far side of the field the DOF was fairly deep. It had the reach to get there nicely, but the spectators on the sidelines are quite visible, only lightly OOF, not obliterated like by a f/2.8.

On one hand I lust for a 300/2.8, but on the other hand I was constantly zooming the 100-400, it was invaluable for that. I guess the ultimate setup is two bodies, one with a 300/2.8 (and maybe a tc) and one with a 70-200/2.8.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    This is a good action shot, but I doubt most parents would be interested in purchasing.

You need to focus on the eyes. Good facial expressions and sharp eyes are what parents look for when purchasing photos. The shot is also too cluttered (not much you could do) with other players and the busy background.

Shooting at f2.8 would help some, but these types of shots are just tough to get the isolation that makes a good photo.

I've tried shooting soccer with two bodies as you have suggested. I found my 70-200mm was just hanging there as I got most of my shots with a 300mm, f2.8 with and without the teleconvertor. A full sized soccer field is big and 200mm doesn't get you much!
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    This is a good action shot, but I doubt most parents would be interested in purchasing.

Personally I'd be all over that shot if I was the parent of the kid in blue, and if I was the kid I'd be all over my parents to buy it! :D
    You need to focus on the eyes. Good facial expressions and sharp eyes are what parents look for when purchasing photos.

I know what you mean, but I found it difficult to get many of those shots during play action. This was my first soccer game with kids older than 7, so the action was a lot faster and I had less time to think. Also if the kids are anywhere near the ball, 95% of the time they are looking down at it, and those aren't good faces. Next time I will try to mix more good faces into my repertoire.

Also I'm just not a big fan of shots that don't include the ball and/or cut off half the body, usually. I do like those shots if they capture the "thousand yard stare". I think they're a nice supplement to action shots that show the body and ball, but by themselves I don't think they document the game.

I've tried shooting soccer with two bodies as you have suggested. I found my 70-200mm was just hanging there as I got most of my shots with a 300mm, f2.8 with and without the teleconvertor. A full sized soccer field is big and 200mm doesn't get you much!

True, and I haven't shot with that setup, but I think 200mm would be enough for about a third of the field width. I tried locking my 100-400 at 300mm for a few minutes and quickly wanted to unlock it. I guess the 300/2.8 would come with a significant learning curve, but I also have to believe you would get less shots with it...? But at f/2.8 I take it less is more?
    -Jack

• Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Jack,

That image doesn't quite fit on my 24in monitor. Good action, exposure and color. I've never shot a tournament. I'd imagine it's tough to find a spot that has a clean background. I think the clutter is the biggest problem here. Changing your perspective will help. You're too high. You need to sit on the ground. Shooting athletes from a low perspective always makes them look better and usually gets the background even further from the camera throwing it more out of focus. Getting low will also get their eyes in the shot.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    donek wrote:
    Jack,

That image doesn't quite fit on my 24in monitor.

fixed.
    Good action, exposure and color. I've never shot a tournament. I'd imagine it's tough to find a spot that has a clean background.

Thanks. That is the understatement of the day, let me tell you!
    I think the clutter is the biggest problem here. Changing your perspective will help. You're too high. You need to sit on the ground. Shooting athletes from a low perspective always makes them look better and usually gets the background even further from the camera throwing it more out of focus. Getting low will also get their eyes in the shot.

You're right, I definitely should have sat or kneeled more than I did. However I think for this particular shot I'm not sure it would have improved things, because that would have lowered the "horizon" of the grass and potentially put the players heads against the even more cluttered background of the spectators on the sidelines. I like that the kid in blue is totally against the green grass.
    -Jack