Options

Tripod recommendations

ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited October 14, 2009 in Accessories
I recently purchased a 70-300 lens for my Nikon D80. When I put it on my inexpensive aluminum tripod, it won't hold the camera still when I depress the shutter button.
Request recommendations on a good heavy-duty tripod (and head). I'd like to limit total cost to $250.
Thanks,
Larry

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 12, 2009
    ridgemac wrote:
    I recently purchased a 70-300 lens for my Nikon D80. When I put it on my inexpensive aluminum tripod, it won't hold the camera still when I depress the shutter button.
    Request recommendations on a good heavy-duty tripod (and head). I'd like to limit total cost to $250.
    Thanks,
    Far be it for me to talk you out of upgrading your tripod, however you should always use a remote shutter release or in-camera timer when on any tripod for best results.
  • Options
    alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    There are many options on tripods, and heads which are also very important, and sold separately (and pricey).

I have an old Manfrotto which is great but heavy. Not as good as a Gitzo but good nonetheless. I recently purchased a Benro Flex for travel. Aluminum (not carbon which is too expensive), but still light and sturdy enough that I would recommend it.

As for heads, I definitely recommend an Arca-Swiss compatible head. The best ones are from Kirk, RRS, Markins, Achra-Tech. They need a plate (L or flat) for the camera too but they are the best system around.

An optional and much cheaper solution is to use the Benro, Manfrotto or similar manufacturer's head system. Not as sturdy and they are are proprietary, noit universal, where you generally have to screw in the head attachment to the tripod head on the camera. This is a more complex solution than a universal quick-release system but more economical.

Whatever you do, take your time, study your purchase before you make it. A good head/tripod is a lifetime purchase, so buy the right thing for your current needs and for growth in the foreseeable future (weight of lens+ camera).
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Manfrotto 055XPROB legs and their 488RC2 ball head. I figure if I ever reach the point of Gitzo and RRS stuff I will sell the Manfrotto equipment.

Yes, it's not really light but I shoot fairly close to where I can drive/park my car.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Not a cheap solution by any means, but I went this route, topping it with a BH-55 PCL ballhead. I just got back from the Acadia Shootout (boy was that fun!) and I have to say that I was very pleased with the way the setup performed. It was a bit heavy, but most of that was the ballhead.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    I went though a similar situation this summer. My old tripod was heavy as hell and not very stable. It was also not a ball head. It had a fluid head which was for movies not pictures. It seemed like the nicest one at best buy when I bought it. I just didn't know what I was buying... I figured tripods were tripods.

Get anything with an Arca-swiss plate. The reason is all other quick release systems suck. I got a kirk camera plate with the integrated quick release plate for my d90 and couldn't be happier. It is strong and can't twist. You could swing my camera around at the end of the tripod all day and not have anything move at all.

I went with a Gitzo basalt tripod and a gitzo ball head. The ball head is great. Very smooth and very light. At first the gitzo QR seemed really cool. But in use the gitzo QR plate sucks. You move the camera around and the plate twists on the camera. Just like any other regular QR plate. I just don't understand why cameras do not use the pin system camcorders do?? I ended up getting a Kirk universal plate for the arca-swiss mount and drilling it to fit the gitzo ball. Now I can use the arca-swiss plates and get the light Gitzo head. For me, I think this could be the best of both worlds. I think the whole setup weighs in just over 3lbs. It holds my heavy 80-200 rock solid in any position using the lens mount or the camera mount. It is strong.

I got a really good rebate from Gitzo that pretty much paid for the ball head. I think it was $150 off for a tripod and head combo and then $100 off instantly for a tripod trade in that day at Pictureline. SWEET! I think Gitzo is still having some kind of deal now but I am not sure.

If I were doing it again I would go with the Gitzo basalt tripod, and a Kirk or Really Right Stuff ball head. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    I have been using Giottos Tripods for several years now and really like them.....they now have legs with snap locks (like Bogen/Manfrotto's).....Mine was just under$200 and for the shooting I do it is great....
    Link to show the possibilities of the GIOTTOS TRIPODs ......the one linked to is like mine but newer model and ebay seller is same I purchase from....
    You can spend more for Carbon Fiber, Lava(Basalt) but for a very good tripod the alum works great.....mine have never frozen up on me or gotten sticky and they are used in all sorts of adverse weather and conditions.....they get stuck into yucky murky muddy water at times whenI am out in wetlands and such places......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Well I would look on your local Cragis list for one. I got a Mnfrotto 3221 with a 3047 head with 5 quick plates for $135. The same tripod sells for $195 at KEH used. What you want to look for is Manfrotto, Giottos or, some people will list them as Bogens. If you dont find something there try KEH. A good tripod will last you a lifetime and, is a great investment because, when you get even heavier glass you will be set.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    I was looking for good and cheap myself recently :)

Ended up with this combo:

Legs: http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-190XPROB-Section-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B000N7VPRW/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I3TCSC148JLQLJ&colid=34BAUZTZ1LOFT

ballhead: http://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-486RC2-Compact-Connect-System/dp/B00009R6MQ/ref=pd_sim_p_1

Total a little over $250 OTD.

In the future I will upgrade to a Kirk head with custom plates. They really are the best money can buy.
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Far be it for me to talk you out of upgrading your tripod, however you should always use a remote shutter release or in-camera timer when on any tripod for best results.

15524779-Ti.gif And it's a lot cheaper.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.