Options

Buying a D700 -- Need a lens recommendation

EthanEthan Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited October 19, 2009 in Cameras
I'm about to purchase a Nikon D700 and would like a lens recommendation. I'm taking it on a two week vacation to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Germany</st1:place></st1:country-region> and would like a versatile lens for walking around the city capturing the cityscape, people architecture, etc. I really want the 14-24mm at some point but not sure if I want to shell out the cash on top of the D700. Should I buy the kit 24-120mm lens or should I buy a prime say 50mm or another that would be versatile for above? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Thank you for all feedback!<o:p></o:p>

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Ethan wrote:
    I'm about to purchase a Nikon D700 and would like a lens recommendation. I'm taking it on a two week vacation to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Germany</st1:place></st1:country-region> and would like a versatile lens for walking around the city capturing the cityscape, people architecture, etc. I really want the 14-24mm at some point but not sure if I want to shell out the cash on top of the D700. Should I buy the kit 24-120mm lens or should I buy a prime say 50mm or another that would be versatile for above? <o:p></o:p>

I understand the desire for that 14-24 lens, but I don't think it would suit you for your upcoming foray, it's a tad wide. Right off the top of my head, why not go for something like the 16-85 VR? It can be had for under $600 as can the 18-200 if bought used at say KEH. I think both of these besides being better overall will give you good range.
    tom wise
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    I understand the desire for that 14-24 lens, but I don't think it would suit you for your upcoming foray, it's a tad wide. Right off the top of my head, why not go for something like the 16-85 VR? It can be had for under $600 as can the 18-200 if bought used at say KEH. I think both of these besides being better overall will give you good range.

Both of those lenses are DX and will vignette something awful on the D700 unless DX (5mp) crop mode is used. An option, yes, ideal no.

Gene
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    I'm not a Nikon shooter, but from what I read the 24-120 is a so-so lens. You could go for something like the Tamron 28-75/2.8 and a couple of primes. One wider and one longer. Again, not too familiar with Nikon's offerings but just a suggestion to think about.

Gene
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 12, 2009
    If you're looking for a single lens for the Nikon D700 it is probably best to stay with a "standard zoom" lens.

Listed from least to best:

Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF
    Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR
    Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED AF-S

While the 24-120mm has the best range, the 24-70mm has the best overall potential for image quality and would work best indoors.

I suggest that a better strategy might be a 2 lens solution, perhaps the Nikkor 24-85mm f/2.8-4D IF and the Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR. (The 24-85mm is capable of half-life-sized images for close-ups, which could come in handy.) Neither is perfect but together they aren't too heavy or expensive and together give a pretty good working range. Bring a smaller bag to carry the kit and I recommend adding a flash and modifier for best overall flexibility and quality.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Thank you for the replies. I tried to find the 24-70mm to see pricing, etc but everyone seems to be out of stock. Do you know why? Is it being replaced or is it just popular?
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Ethan wrote:
    Thank you for the replies. I tried to find the 24-70mm to see pricing, etc but everyone seems to be out of stock. Do you know why? Is it being replaced or is it just popular?

I'm not sure what's going on but I do confirm that it is not easily available for some reason. Hmmm...
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    I forgot to mention that renting is often a pretty good way to temporarily acquire a lens (or lenses) for something like a 2-week trip. See our thread for possible recommended vendors:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=79033
    ziggy53
  • Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Ethan wrote:

The 24-70 has been a very popular lens, so I suspect that is the reason for not too much stock being available. I have one I pretty much keep on my D700 because of its range and excellent image quality. The cons are its high price and weight, so with the 700 it does make for a heavy combo. At first I thought it was too much weight, but after seeing the image quality, I got used to the weight pretty quickly! :D
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    The 24-70mm lens is sounds really good. uggh.. my wallet is getting smaller. (-: Ziggy, you mentioned a flash and modifer. What is a modifer? I try to get away when an on camera flash but sometimes it would be good to have as fill light.
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Epiphany. The Tamron 28-300VC seems to be a very good lens on FF. Price is pretty reasonable. Seems it would make an ideal vacation lens.

Gene
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    I'm going to France soon and taking the 14-24mm and 24-70mm F2.8 Nikkor lenses. Both are absolutely amazing and I'm renting both lenses as well.

I have a D700 also btw :)
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    I'm going to France soon and taking the 14-24mm and 24-70mm F2.8 Nikkor lenses. Both are absolutely amazing and I'm renting both lenses as well.

I have a D700 also btw :)

Have you used both of these lens before with the D700? If so, how do you like the pairing?
  • Options
    EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    The 24-70 is absurdly large and heavy. I would advise you to consider a prime. 35, 40, or 50 would all do well. This way you end up with a fantastic camera, great lens, and you don't look like a fool walking around with a huge camera. You will also look less like a walking ATM. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    Ethan wrote:
    You might look at KEH and, see if they have a good used one but, their prices have been like everyone else lately in that they have been higher. http://www.keh.com/ as far as used they are one of the best to buy from as, their grading system is very conservative and, the lenses are usually better than graded.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2009
    Ethan wrote:
    ... Ziggy, you mentioned a flash and modifer. What is a modifer? I try to get away when an on camera flash but sometimes it would be good to have as fill light.

For travel, I generally use a Demb FlipIt Jr:

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/models/

The Better Bounce Card is another simple DIY project that packs nicely. Here is a video on how to make one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM
    ziggy53
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    I just spent the weekend in NYC with my D700 and the 14-24mm plus the 24-70mm.

What a fantastic pair! A nice combo for shooting wide when you need it in tight city confines plus the versatility of taking people photos without distortion.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2009
    kini62 wrote:
    Both of those lenses are DX and will vignette something awful on the D700 unless DX (5mp) crop mode is used. An option, yes, ideal no.

Gene

Woopsheadscratch.gif , I didn't remember they were DX..good catch~~Yes, by all means steer clear of Dx on your nice cam.
    tom wise
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Ethan wrote:
    Have you used both of these lens before with the D700? If so, how do you like the pairing?

I have found the Nikkor ED lenses to be perfection. So much so that anything else, whether its 3rd party or non-ED just doesn't measure up. It's the same way bigtime Canon shooters use nothing but L glass. It's the best there is. The 14-24mm in particular is widely regarded as the best WA lens ever on any mount. There's also something extremely cool about the big gold N for Nano Crystal coat on the lens, plus the actual use of gold for the stripe around the hood. It looks so awesome!

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/zoom/af-s_zoom14-24mmf_28g/img/pic_001_l.jpg

For example pics check out these posts:

24-70: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=138363

14-24: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=144452

Both lenses deliver stunning results and they will both be in my bag some day! Until then just rent them -- that's what I do.
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    I have found the Nikkor ED lenses to be perfection. So much so that anything else, whether its 3rd party or non-ED just doesn't measure up. It's the same way bigtime Canon shooters use nothing but L glass. It's the best there is. The 14-24mm in particular is widely regarded as the best WA lens ever on any mount. There's also something extremely cool about the big gold N for Nano Crystal coat on the lens, plus the actual use of gold for the stripe around the hood. It looks so awesome!

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/lens/af/zoom/af-s_zoom14-24mmf_28g/img/pic_001_l.jpg

For example pics check out these posts:

24-70: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=138363

14-24: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=144452

Both lenses deliver stunning results and they will both be in my bag some day! Until then just rent them -- that's what I do.

Thanks for the links of your pictures. They're great! I think these two lens are the way to go and I like the idea of renting. Maybe buy one now and rent the other for the trip.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    you might consider the 24-70 f2.8 Sigma.....it is an awesome lens and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 a lot less expensive than Nikon and great lenses......I have used both for many many many years.............or as Ziggy suggested...rent
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Wide angle should be the priority for the use you describe, IMHO. I would rent a Nikon 14-24 and buy the Nikon 50mm 1.4G.

The 14-24mm will make almost ANY shot look incredible. For architecture and simply capturing the story of an environment it is unbeatable. The 50mm 1.4G should be in any Nikon enthusiast bag. For after dark street photography, and traditional people shots it is also one of the best. The 85mm 1.4 would also be a great choice, but my preference is the 50mm for it's increased versatility and convenience.

You can rent a 14-24 for two weeks from Lensrentals.com for only $118.

An SB-800/900 flash will be quite bulky for travel use. I would suggest the SB-400. It is tiny, puts out a phenomenal amount of light and has a flip up flash head for indoor bounce use. For only $114, delivered, why the heck not?

Have fun on the trip and don't forget to post up in Journeys when you get back...or sooner! :D
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    Wide angle should be the priority for the use you describe, IMHO. I would rent a Nikon 14-24 and buy the Nikon 50mm 1.4G.

The 14-24mm will make almost ANY shot look incredible. For architecture and simply capturing the story of an environment it is unbeatable. The 50mm 1.4G should be in any Nikon enthusiast bag. For after dark street photography, and traditional people shots it is also one of the best. The 85mm 1.4 would also be a great choice, but my preference is the 50mm for it's increased versatility and convenience.

You can rent a 14-24 for two weeks from Lensrentals.com for only $118.

An SB-800/900 flash will be quite bulky for travel use. I would suggest the SB-400. It is tiny, puts out a phenomenal amount of light and has a flip up flash head for indoor bounce use. For only $114, delivered, why the heck not?

Have fun on the trip and don't forget to post up in Journeys when you get back...or sooner! :D

Thank you for the feedback. I definitely like the idea of renting at that price.
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Ekaj wrote:
    The 24-70 is absurdly large and heavy. I would advise you to consider a prime. 35, 40, or 50 would all do well. This way you end up with a fantastic camera, great lens, and you don't look like a fool walking around with a huge camera. You will also look less like a walking ATM. rolleyes1.gif

Have to agree here. The Nikkor 50G is small and sharp. I own the 14-24 and it would make a great rental, as would the 24-70, but I'm really put off by the 24-70's size, despite its great optics. The older AF 35-70 f/2.8 is a cheap alternative that's smaller but performs well. the 70-300G is also a good, cheap buy, but slow. I'm not sure but I would expect Germany to be cloudy this time of year. Take a prime and lighten your load.
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    I own both the 24-70 and 14-24 lenses and they are both awesome lenses..BUT I have to admit that in most cases the 24-70 is wide enough on the D3 and the 14-24 doesnt seem to make it out of the bag alot.

Sounds like the 24-70 would be the right choice if you can only have one.

As far as optical quality they are both amazing lenses.

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    Rob ZijlstraRob Zijlstra Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    I own the D700. I use the 35mm, 28mm, 50mm and 70-300 VR. I shoot a lot of landscapes but also scenes in the city. I noticed that I tend to use the 35mm and the 70-300mm the most. At night (and in the early morning/late evening) in the streets I use the 50mm a lot.
    Don't think the 70-300 is too slow; with the D700 I shoot with this lens on 3200ISO/6400ISO, and no problems at all with noise etc.

I would suggest for your trip to Germany the 70-300 and a 35mm. Not expensive, not heavy and you can shoot a lot with it. (Did you think of a flash?)

Have a nice trip and I hope to see some of your pictures!
    Regards,
    Rob Zijlstra

http://zijlstra.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D700 & some (new & old) NIKON glass
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Ethan wrote:
    I'm about to purchase a Nikon D700 and would like a lens recommendation. I'm taking it on a two week vacation to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Germany</st1:place></st1:country-region> and would like a versatile lens for walking around the city capturing the cityscape, people architecture, etc. I really want the 14-24mm at some point but not sure if I want to shell out the cash on top of the D700. Should I buy the kit 24-120mm lens or should I buy a prime say 50mm or another that would be versatile for above? <o:p></o:p>

It really depends on your style of photography and if you like changeing lenses and carrying gear around.
    I would recommend to take the 24-120 and a fast lens between 28 and 35mm for night time photography.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston