Options

The little red lighthouse under the grey bridge

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited October 15, 2009 in Landscapes
I don't know how many of you know the children's story of the little red lighthouse that lived under the great grey bridge.
6a00d8345157b369e2010535dc9484970b-320wi

This weekend was open house New York and the little red lighthouse was open to the public. My son and I were in town and made the trek to see this beloved lighthouse. It's light has been extinguished, but it is the remaining standing lighthouse on Manhattan.

680170652_KdC4T-XL.jpg

680165654_n3BLL-L.jpg

Climbing up the spiral stairs.

680166097_eWDsF-XL.jpg

680166661_RpuFR-XL.jpg

The view

680166756_REV5Y-XL.jpg

The lamp

680167080_8t7qB-XL.jpg

One last look
680167314_P9Bjc-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Very cool! Love that first shot thumb.gif

Was this on Saturday or Sunday?
  • Options
    dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    This is awesome, I loved that book as a kid and still read it to my kids.clap.gif

thanks for the shareiloveyou.gif
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    cletus wrote:
    Very cool! Love that first shot thumb.gif

Was this on Saturday or Sunday?

We were there on Sunday. Beautiful weather. It's still 90 here in Florida!eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    dadwtwins wrote:
    This is awesome, I loved that book as a kid and still read it to my kids.clap.gif

thanks for the shareiloveyou.gif

My kids all loved that book. When I saw that the little red lighthouse was open, I had to go.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    What a terrific set of shot, Mitch! I had no idea the lighthouse was open last weekend, although my schedule would have made it tough to visit, so it's great that you shared these.

I've lived in NY most of my life, but I had never heard of the lighthouse, or the book, until it was mentioned on an episode of "The West Wing" a few years back. Since then, I've managed to get a couple of shots of it from the NJ side of the river, but I would love to see it up close one of these days.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    I knew about the lighthouse, but never got a chance to get close to it. I used to see it from the Jersey side. I don't think I have any photos of it in my collection. I never knew there was a book written about the little red lighthouse either.

Loved your photos, very educational too! So glad you got a chance to go inside and share photos with us!
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    Grew up in Manhatten and I never even knew this existed.rolleyes1.gif Very cool thumb.gifthumb.gif

Dan