Options

What would you do to this (Post Processing)

MartianMantisMartianMantis Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 15, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi Everyone,

I'm a noob to photography, but I have committed myself to learning as much as I can, I still find a lot of it very technical but I'm getting there.

Anyway I took this shot yesterday at a place called Ingelton Waterfalls in Yorkshire, England and was quite pleased with it.

what I would like to know is what do most folk normally do a pic afterwards in photoshop etc to bring out the best in them, there is so much information on the net it's confusing, so I thought I would post the pic here straight out of camera (just resized) from my canon 400D with standard 18-55mm kit lens, and ask what you would do to it to make it better, finalise it etc. Feel free to use it in any way you want and actually tweak it if you want too, any insights, examples, pointers etc would be truly appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

landscapetest.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    The question is what do you want to get out of this that isn't there. Post is a tool, and so the question is how you use that tool to get what you want.

The only obvious thing to me is that it is slightly too yellow (you can see this in the very bright clouds and also in the grasses, which to me are too yellow but you would be a better judge of that).

So again I would ask, what do you thing is wrong with this, what do you want to improve?
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    MartianMantisMartianMantis Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2009
    Hi John,

Thanks for your reply, good answer and good question too. I'm not really sure what I want to do to it. I really don't know much about post processing etc, and have been reading up on it, but still unsure how to bring out the best in a photo using that tool. I do like the photo as it is, but was wondering if those more experienced than I would tweak further with this type of pic or just leave it?, and what they would do to it sort of thing.

sometimes I think a pic looks great, but then I've seen the same pic after some pp and it looks fantastic.. maybe the pic I posted is not the best example but I will go and mess with the color balance as you suggested and see what it looks like.

Thanks

Martin
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2009
    You might look at the Best of Finishing School, a stick at the beginning of this forum. There are some very good tutorials there.
    John Bongiovanni