Options

Night Shots

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
edited January 19, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Not bad for a point and shoot.

1915313-M.jpg
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    hutchmanhutchman Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2004
    Nice!

I have had only limited experience with night shots. I tried some timed exposures on last spring and came up with this -

80786-M-1.jpg
    Hutch
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    Nice!

I have had only limited experience with night shots. I tried some timed exposures on last spring and came up with this -

Hutch
    I like the ocean at night. Mysterious. Dark. And somehow calming.

Ian
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2004
    G3 on a tripod... I kept messing with the exposure time to see how dark I could get it... I wanted just a pool of light around the bike.... a lonely machine in an empty parking lot.

1315617-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2004
    More night shots...
    I like the sea shot and the lonely GS shot. Here are a few shots I took meandering around Cannes one night in Oct 2001

The full size images can be found at Cannes_Jpn or for the high bandwidth folks, Cannes_Jpn_lg

cannes_064.jpg

cannes_065.jpg

cannes_067.jpg
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2004
    I've never tried shooting fireworks. I'm sure there are techniques ... picking the spot must be difficult.

I made several (as in more than I care to admit) attempts to capture this fountain in Charleston, SC. I think I'm still trying to figure out what I should have been trying to capture. At first I thought it was the sheeting of the water, with a slooow exposure. Now I'm thinking I should have gone for the interesting shapes of the fountain itself, and let the water take care of itself. I spend so much time struggling with composition that I don't leave enough grey matter to deal with lighting, exposure and depth of field issues. ne_nau.gif

1486709-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2004
    A couple more... lots of work do do. Sigh.

28427-M-1.jpg

28414-M-1.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I've never tried shooting fireworks. I'm sure there are techniques ... picking the spot must be difficult.

I made several (as in more than I care to admit) attempts to capture this fountain in Charleston, SC. I think I'm still trying to figure out what I should have been trying to capture. At first I thought it was the sheeting of the water, with a slooow exposure. Now I'm thinking I should have gone for the interesting shapes of the fountain itself, and let the water take care of itself. I spend so much time struggling with composition that I don't leave enough grey matter to deal with lighting, exposure and depth of field issues. ne_nau.gif

1486709-M.jpg
    I might have shot this wider to get a feel for the water and lighting. Then
    the water might make more "sense"?

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2004
    Good suggestion, thanks Ian. I think there was a lamp I was trying to squeeze out of the shot. But either way, you're right, the framing just isn't working. I have a detail shot that works a wee bit better. Bit it's on my old machine, gotta dig it out.
    Sid.
  • Options
    KC ActionKC Action Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2004
    I took this shot in downtown Tulsa at about 2:00am after closing. The Cain's Ballroom has a ton of history having been in Tulsa since the discovery of the oilfields nearly 80 years ago. Acts as varied and famous as the Wills Brothers, Elvis Presley and B. B. King have all played at the Cain's over the years. I was trying to capture the loneliness of a place like this after it has closed and eveyone has gone home.

161883.jpg
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 15, 2004
    161883.jpg

What a great shot! More more more! Welcome to the site.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2004
    Thanks for the welcome and kind words.
  • Options
    aprilapril Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2004
    Talking about night shots, what is the best way to take a picture of the moon? well that is if the moon ever shows back up here and its not cloudy. :( I just wne toutside in the cold in shorts to find the moon and it not there.
    www.homedecor4you.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. "

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2004
    great shots, guys! here are a couple from me:

bourbon street, 2am
    1262651-M-1.jpg

dinner on broadway
    1623857-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2004
    Shooting the moon....
    aprilhite wrote:
    Talking about night shots, what is the best way to take a picture of the moon? well that is if the moon ever shows back up here and its not cloudy. :( I just wne toutside in the cold in shorts to find the moon and it not there.
    On a tripod. Don't worry about stopping down for DoF as there isn't any need or for stopping down to reduce distortion as you are only using the very center of the frame.

I took the following handheld with a 100-400IS set at 400mm at 1/60 but 1/100 would have perhaps given me a better raw image. I was using the image stabilizer so I got away with skipping the tripod but a tripod is usually a better choice.

moorea_moon_cropped.jpg

That one was taken from Moorea and the next from Cannes so almost the other side of the world. There are some slight differences in visible surface and I do not know if those are angular differences from latitude/longitude or because the Moorea one was in Jan 00 and the Cannes one was in Oct of 01.

cannes_050_cropped.jpg
  • Options
    aprilapril Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2004
    Col pics of the moon. I can't wait for th emoon to show back up here in georgia so I can play with taking pics of it.

Thanks for the info :)
    www.homedecor4you.com

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. "

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2004
    andy wrote:

bourbon street, 2am
    1262651-M-1.jpg

ECTOPLASM! :yikes
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2004
    april wrote:
    Col pics of the moon. I can't wait for th emoon to show back up here in georgia so I can play with taking pics of it.

Thanks for the info :)
    clap.gif Atlanta - but I won't complain about the cold or clouds, not with the weather they're having in the NE.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2004
    andy wrote:
    bourbon street, 2am
    1262651-M-1.jpg

Andy, your shots remind me of Mike Werner's shots, and the gallery of Paris someone linked to.

That is, color is a big part of the photograph's reason for being. The first shot is all about night lights and vibrant colors. Many of the Paris shots (I gotta go looking for the link) were more about color than anything else... at least to me.

The reason I mention it is that I tend to think of a photo as being about an object or a shape. For some reason, when I'm wandering about with the camera, my eye responds to that stuff, but not to colors. And yet I see many, many wonderful photographs in which color is the immediate statement. It's something I'd like to work on.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2004
    Andy, what a great city street long exposure. The colors are so vibrant and varied. Great shot. cmr164, fantastic moon images. I have not had any luck shooting the moon. This time of year we get such beautiful full moons just after moonrise.
  • Options
    AceRphAceRph Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 16, 2004
    Here's a shot taken Christmas Eve. The steam is from a sulfur spring that popped up in the parking lot of the Paso Robles Public Library after the earthquake on December 22, 2003. It was in the 20's. The tree was covered with a thin layer of ice. The newspaper reported yesterday that the spring is flowing 400 to 500 gallons per minute.
    2011211-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    hutchman wrote:
    Nice!

Hutch
    Water at night can be really fun. Somewhere around here, I have a slide with a 15 minute exposure (stopped down) of Yosemite, but for now... Here is a 1.0sec exposure of a beach at Bermuda.

bermuda01oct303seanight_s.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    Wow! Surrealistic. Almost alien looking. Well done.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    I like this crop better, might clone out the corner of the roof.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I like this crop better, might clone out the corner of the roof.
    Hmmm.... I think the balcony adds a necessary reference. I might want to crop from the left...
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2004
    Knowhatcha mean about the balcony providing reference... for me its starkness under the light is so extreme compared to the softness of the sea that it's jarring. Maybe if it was toned down? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.