Options

Moving Lightroom catologues and Files, HELP!!!

planedriverplanedriver Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited October 18, 2009 in Finishing School
OK, I got the new shiny MAC and the Adobe to boot. Here's my issue.

I was told to use separate catalogues for each shoot in order to not slow down Lightroom. Now i need to get all my catalogues with all the images off my PC laptop and into my MAC. Once they are there I am looking for a great way to stay organized.

I moved one catalogue over but it took some time. I Exported the catalogue with the DNG's and then opened it up on the MAC, then it all got blurry. I'm trying to read up on it, got an Adobe Lr book, but so far none of my questions are answered. Any Help?

I like to keep things simple.

Comments

• Options
    Thunder RabbitThunder Rabbit Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Howdy.

Hi, plane driver. Someone sold you a bum steer. Separate catalogs for each shoot defeats the whole purpose of Lr. Keep all your photos in one catalog until Lr starts to slow down (It may never slow down.). Unless your computer is gimpy, you should be able to have tens of thousands of images in one catalog without any problems.
    Peace,
    Lee

Thunder Rabbit GRFX
    www.thunderrabbitgrfx.com
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    I was told to use separate catalogues for each shoot in order to not slow down Lightroom.

Personally I think that’s a very bad idea! Unless you’ve got in excess of 100,000 images, you’ll be far better off in terms of finding, backing up your images and catalogs (and presets) etc buy using one catalog. Until such a time that LR supports opening multiple catalogs (and that’s not going to happen anytime soon), you’ll be far better off with one catalog.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    planedriverplanedriver Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Thanks
    arodney wrote:
    Personally I think that’s a very bad idea! Unless you’ve got in excess of 100,000 images, you’ll be far better off in terms of finding, backing up your images and catalogs (and presets) etc buy using one catalog. Until such a time that LR supports opening multiple catalogs (and that’s not going to happen anytime soon), you’ll be far better off with one catalog.

Thanks guys. Well I just got a new 24" IMAC with 4GB of ram. What I ended up doing was I "exported as a catalog" all my seprate catalogs and then in my new shiny lightroom I "Imported from a catalog" all the files into one.

Now i have just one large catalog I'm running Lr in 64bit and its fast. The only thing is that I dont really know whats slow. I only had a crap little Dell laptop before and it was very very slow since it's 4 years old.

Thanks again.