my first photo - my bull

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited January 19, 2004 in Technique
I am just starting out with my beautiful new Canon Rebel Digital. I find I'm gravitating to animals so far and have a couple I'd like to share to hear your thoughts (I need all the help I can get)

Thanks so much
Lynn

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    and my second - pony
    I love this picture but want to know how to improve please
    Lynn
    edited January 19, 2004
    and the last...
    I won't bore you with more, this one I took through glass so I'ts not as crisp as it should be...
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    Lynn, you're not boring anyone! What lens are you using?

I really like that bull shot, the softness of the low sun really works well. The second shot is too dark (on my crummy monitor, anyway.) Either open up the lens (lower f-stop #) or lengthen the exposure time (which might be tricky with an animal, 'cause they like to move.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    I just cropped a tiny bit off the bull shot. Any different to your eyes?

BTW, if you get into this and like to post photos, check out this thread. It explains the options for posting pics. Baldy, who runs this message board, also runs www.smugmug.com It's a very low cost way to put your photos on the web to share them with others, and also to link them to this place without any real limitations.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 19, 2004
    thanks
    Thanks Sid,

yes I like my bull too.. I used a 18 - 55 lens and have no clue what I did, only that I saw the bulls fur, saw the sun and tried to get it. Since then I've learned a bit more about fstops so hopefully I'll have more control over my camera. I will check out the url you mentioned...looks like fun. Your slight crop did make a difference...balanced it more. Thanks.

Lynn
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I love this picture but want to know how to improve please
    Lynn
    It looks to be a stop underexposed. This is a simulation of what the photo would look like 1 stop brighter:

ponyweb.jpg

Other than that I like the photo. The only other thing I would caution against is cropping. If you want to print this as an 8x10, you will be potentially cutting off some important parts of the image. However, if you go to print a 4x6, you have no trouble at all.

The bull shot looks awesome.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    Funky eyes on that pony, huh? The bull is cool. Looks absolutely cuddly.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • TuesdayTuesday Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    Love the Bull!

Very Cool

:tuesday
    edited January 19, 2004
    stopping and cropping
    Thankyou both for input. Yes the pony would have been much better with the proper settings.. now I know a little bit more about stopping I'll go back and take another, he's a friendly little guy but those eyes...

Thanks for the tip on cropping. I've been cropping away without a thought in the world and wondering why it won't fit in any frames... dah.

I'll have another go at the pony and maybe get a couple of goats in as well...
    thanks again
    lynnbowdown.gif
    edited January 19, 2004
    ok whilst I have tutors around...
    Now I'm getting so much input ..what happened to this cats face.. is it overexposed? looks funny
    Lynn
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Now I'm getting so much input ..what happened to this cats face.. is it overexposed? looks funny
    Lynn
    It is almost a stop overexposed, probably 2/3 of a stop, and it looks like kitty has a case of feline "red eye" which isn't red like on humans but still the same phenomena, that is, light bouncing back out of the eye.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie