Options

Some of My Acadia Shots

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited October 19, 2009 in Landscapes
Whoever said it would take weeks to process shots from the Acadia Shootout wasn't lying . . . I've put 17 shots in my gallery so far. At this rate, I might be done in time for next year's gathering! Maybe . . . :huh

I had a great time and learned a lot. I am really grateful for the chance to talk to and learn from our pros. I think it's actually sunk in now just how much a difference good light can make! :thumb No, that doesn't mean I will stop shooting at high noon . . . but it should mean that I can create better images now when I do go out at other times!

Hope you enjoy these. I will appreciate any C&C.

Lauren

1. Autumn leaves, somewhere in Acadia National Park
683389393_ykvyU-L-1.jpg

2. Lobster buoys
684515766_VJtm5-L.jpg

3. Lobster trap in B&W - how does this conversion look?
684761334_3dGH8-L-1.jpg

4. Abstract
685082480_m6W9R-L-1.jpg

5. Boathouse at Bernard harbor
685056420_hRx9j-L-1.jpg

6. Birch tree
685153359_75VdU-L.jpg

7. Thunder Hole just after sunrise - I blended 2 exposures by processing in ACR, one for sky and one for ground - does the edge of the cliff top look too dark? it's not from the mask so it must be my ACR process for the ground
683811908_cFWac-L-1.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Hi Lauren,

Great pictures - All !!!!

I especially like #2 Lobster buoys. Great job with the close perspective and depth of field.

You also did a great job processing #6 and #7 which you previously posted untouched.

Looking forward for more pics to come. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Lauren-
    Really like #2 & #4!! I think #4 was shown during the critique session but it was hard to see when projected on the wall. I love it on my computer screen - very cool!!

Stephanie
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Bravo Lauren. 6, 7 and 2 are my favorites.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Thanks, everyone! Yes, #4 was shown at the critique and it got an "ooh" from the crowd. :D I wasn't sure how it would look when processed, so I'm glad to know it looks good on the screen now; I didn't do much other than boost the contrast and also soften the look a bit.

Fred - I also didn't do much to #6, the birch, because I just didn't think it needed anything. It got a nice response in its unprocessed version and I couldn't see how to improve it--other than to remove the blurry leave at the top against the trunk--did you notice? I did a few other minor tweaks. This is one I was quite happy with from the start! I did do quite a bit on the Thunder Hole shot and was pleased with the outcome. Thanks for following and commenting!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Great set Lauren. The last is my favorite, but they are all really good. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Dan
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Nicely done!

I think the B&W conversion on #3 is fine - gives it an old worldly look.

Agree with Daniel - #7 is the bomb! Nice blending. I think the cliffs are a titch dark - but I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't asked.

Good job, roomie! clap.gifivar
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    SchnauzerSchnauzer Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Nice work Lauren. I very much like the first one. It has a sort of abstract look to it with all the leaves overlapping each other. Numbers 2, 6 and 7 are also favorites.
    RON
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Dan, Ceci, Ron - Many thanks for your comments! I may mess with the cliffs, but it's nice to know they don't stand out too much. I also appreciate that somebody besides me "voted" for #1. I really like the look of that one. I know the theory is that if I like it that makes it good enough, but it is nice to have some affirmation sometimes, right? :D

I'll post more later. I'm busy browsing the forum for more awesome Acadia shots from my new friends!

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    It has been really fun to see how other photographers have interpreted the Acadia experience in their own ways. I really like your series here, especially the detail shots of 2, 3 and 6.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Thanks, Halite! Although I went to Acadia with the intention of learning about and taking better landscape shots--with my new wide and ultra wide lenses--I frequently found myself drawn back to the detail types of shots you commented upon. Looking at my files and thinking back to comments and critiques I have received over the last year or so, I have to say that the more positive reactions seem to be in response to my detail shots.

Guess I should listen to my inner self, eh? mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Thanks, Halite! Although I went to Acadia with the intention of learning about and taking better landscape shots--with my new wide and ultra wide lenses--I frequently found myself drawn back to the detail types of shots you commented upon. Looking at my files and thinking back to comments and critiques I have received over the last year or so, I have to say that the more positive reactions seem to be in response to my detail shots.

Guess I should listen to my inner self, eh? mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Lauren

It definitely makes sense to pursue your own passion and focus on what moves you. Don't fight success!

On the other hand, to avoid ruts and to keep growing it makes sense to explore the unfamiliar and the kinds of images we haven't succeeded at yet. Success isn't always measured in a perfect outcome, but in growth and learning.