Options

Photo spray protectant for metallic prints

TorgadoTorgado Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited October 19, 2009 in The Big Picture
Any recommendations out there for spray on protection for metallic prints from Bay Photo? These are going to be large prints (24x36 - 30x40) mounted in a this metallic frame w/no glass (in a gallery.) I need to give them a good coating to offer some protection from finger prints etc.

Comments

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Torgado wrote:
    Any recommendations out there for spray on protection for metallic prints from Bay Photo? These are going to be large prints (24x36 - 30x40) mounted in a this metallic frame w/no glass (in a gallery.) I need to give them a good coating to offer some protection from finger prints etc.

I recently ordered a 20x30 metallic print from Bay, and I chose a satin laminate finish for it that they put on. But...this was a thin-wrap (finished with mounting block), so perhaps prints don't have that option. Hmmm...sorry, that probably wasn't very helpful!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    I recently ordered a 20x30 metallic print from Bay, and I chose a satin laminate finish for it that they put on. But...this was a thin-wrap (finished with mounting block), so perhaps prints don't have that option. Hmmm...sorry, that probably wasn't very helpful!

Thanks Elaine--- hey would you mind taking a moment to brief me on the ordering process for 'thin-wrap' prints with mounting block?

Is that something you can do through a smugmug gallery or is it directly through Bay?

If direct, is there a discount for pro smuggers?

Thanks muchly!
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Torgado wrote:
    Thanks Elaine--- hey would you mind taking a moment to brief me on the ordering process for 'thin-wrap' prints with mounting block?

Is that something you can do through a smugmug gallery or is it directly through Bay?

If direct, is there a discount for pro smuggers?

Thanks muchly!

As far as I know, it can not be done through Smug right now, and if there is a discount for pro Smuggers when ordering direct, I missed out! :D

I ordered mine with Bay's ROES. Have you used a Remote Order Entry System before? I find it a bit odd and not the most intuitive thing, but it gets the job done. Basically, I downloaded their ROES, and then through that I opened the file on my computer with my desired photo. I chose the size of thin-wrap I wanted from their catalog, and under options I chose paper type (metallic) and finish (satin laminate). And I added the mounting block. It really turned out beautifully, IMO. It's very light weight and because of the mounting block, it seems to float off the wall. For a 20x30 thin-wrap, metallic, satin laminate finish, mounting block and shipping, it was about $82. Certainly more than a print, but it's finished, protected and ready to hang, and it's way less than a canvas of the same size.

Hope that helps!
    Elaine

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    I have not checked Bay.....but most PRO processors will offer spray finish for all prints....some offerthe laminate also.......to do it yourself.....3m make fatastic spray finishes.......just make use it has UVA & UVB protectorant in it............I am unsure about laminates and if the value of a piece of art will be diminished by a laminate.....sprays have been used for decades upon decades ...... even tho laminating has been available I have never heard of a Pro actually do it until now:D..............

As to spraying.....it usually takes me 3-6 coats to get it done the way I want it.......so it does not look like it has been clear coated with crylon spray paint.....so it can't actually be seen.......so I do alternating coats and rotate the "canvas" for each layer......I do it with an extremely light spray and do not try and get a perfectly even coat which usually will wind up with a run.....so I go very lightly...let it dry....rotate and repeat a minimum of 4 times so I have spayed from each side of the print.....
    Also you need a very good exhaust fan to pull the fumes and excess spray up away from the print......in essence a spray booth is needed to do it properly and safely...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Thanks Art & Elaine :-)

While I was poking around on Bay, I stumbled across Metal Prints. Oooo... they just look delicious! Think I'm going to order one up for the fun of it.

And then I found Andy's response from last month that they are really close to making metal prints and thin wraps from Bay available via Smugmug! That is soooo very cool.
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Torgado wrote:
    Thanks Art & Elaine :-)

While I was poking around on Bay, I stumbled across Metal Prints. Oooo... they just look delicious! Think I'm going to order one up for the fun of it.

And then I found Andy's response from last month that they are really close to making metal prints and thin wraps from Bay available via Smugmug! That is soooo very cool.

Yes, those metal prints look amazing. I hadn't heard about getting them and thin wraps via Smug...very cool! thumb.gif
    Elaine