Options

Soccer shots this weekend

JacobovsJacobovs Registered Users Posts: 491 Major grins
edited October 20, 2009 in Sports
Yet another game around noon. When will they start to schedule soccer games when it's good for the photographer?:D

677960182_ZfAFk-XL.jpg
677950363_LwziH-XL.jpg
677951039_y24ar-XL.jpg
677955561_nJpAM-XL.jpg677955708_T227b-XL.jpg

The last shot is not great in terms of the exposure but I like the one player who has been passed instructing the next defender.

Any CC is always welcome

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    As you know from my thread, I just shot my first soccer tournament, so for what it's worth I like your photos. I didn't mind the noon-day sun during my shoot, and I think it's doing good things for these photos you've posted. At least with a sunny day you know you're going to get the best performance out of your AF system.

What gear were you using? You don't have your profile filled out.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    I think you handled the light admirably. Great action. #3 could use a tighter crop. Elliminate the guy in black on the left. If you number your shots in the future it makes it easier to comment on them.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2009
    Great Shots thumb.gif

I like all the action you captured.bowdown.gif
    I got rained out at one game I was going to take some pictures forgot my umbrella :pissed .

I got lucky and found another game a few hours later
    at another soccer park.

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited October 13, 2009
    As you know from my thread, I just shot my first soccer tournament, so for what it's worth I like your photos. I didn't mind the noon-day sun during my shoot, and I think it's doing good things for these photos you've posted. At least with a sunny day you know you're going to get the best performance out of your AF system.

What gear were you using? You don't have your profile filled out.

Thanks, I use 2 D3's one with my 400mm f2.8 and the other my 70 - 200 f2.8.

I still want more early morning or late afternoon games.

lol3.gif
  • Options
    Zone99Zone99 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Jacobovs wrote:
    Thanks, I use 2 D3's one with my 400mm f2.8 and the other my 70 - 200 f2.8.

I still want more early morning or late afternoon games.

lol3.gif

As odd as it sounds, I prefer mid-day games. It presents challenges with lighting, sure but not as many as early or late sun.

While I could WISH for a 400mm f4, I'm stuck with my 80-200 f2.8 (20 years old and the one version that didn't come with a tripod collar!). It works great in most situations regardless but it's when I rent lenses that early or late games become a problem.

Take this weekend, for example: bright sunny days yet I was stuck with a Sigma 120 to 400mm lens. To even get close to 1/1000 at f5.6, I had to be up at ISO 400 and even then I kept floating down to 1/640 or 1/500. It was very frustrating.

I also found those shots very soft in comparison to my 80-200. I will never rent that lens again.
    "I'm just very selective about the reality I accept" - Calvin

http://zone99.smugmug.com

Nikon D300
    Nikkor 18-70 DX
    Nikkor 80-200 f2.8 ED
    Nikon SB-600 Speedlight
    Couple o' other lenses I never use!
  • Options
    edited October 16, 2009
    donek wrote:
    I think you handled the light admirably. Great action. #3 could use a tighter crop. Elliminate the guy in black on the left. If you number your shots in the future it makes it easier to comment on them.

Thanks. You are absolutely right. It looked so much better with that crop.
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    They look real good Jacobovs. I like your dof good choice of f stop.

thumb.gif
    Rags
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    torags wrote:
    They look real good Jacobovs. I like your dof good choice of f stop.

thumb.gif

Thanks, I love shooting soccer but not mid day as you can see.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    Zone99 wrote:
    As odd as it sounds, I prefer mid-day games. It presents challenges with lighting, sure but not as many as early or late sun.

While I could WISH for a 400mm f4, I'm stuck with my 80-200 f2.8 (20 years old and the one version that didn't come with a tripod collar!). It works great in most situations regardless but it's when I rent lenses that early or late games become a problem.

Take this weekend, for example: bright sunny days yet I was stuck with a Sigma 120 to 400mm lens. To even get close to 1/1000 at f5.6, I had to be up at ISO 400 and even then I kept floating down to 1/640 or 1/500. It was very frustrating.

I also found those shots very soft in comparison to my 80-200. I will never rent that lens again.

I feel your pain. You could try renting a Nikkor 200mm f2 I found it works well in bad lighting and shoot from the sidelines instead of the endzone.