Options

Sr. Portraits of the Homecoming King :)

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in People
This kid has a face to die for (IMHO) and I had a blast shooting him for his Senior Portraits. I like shooting late in the day and used fill flash in alot of them, with him being backlit by evening sun. I also used a gold reflector in some. C&C please. Thank you.
P.S. His mother requested all head-shots, thus the lack of pose variations in these.
686468606_esHrC-M.jpg

686486016_rfyrq-M.jpg

686496259_hXkqT-M.jpg

686506639_HUHaR-M.jpg

686508984_nKgh3-M.jpg
686503956_6HjDM-M.jpg
#7 I tried to rescue a slightly OOF shot by playing with the clarity and color on this one. :dunno
686489847_uHFG3-M.jpg

686482903_zFd4A-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    CyberSteakCyberSteak Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Those are some great pictures. #7 (IMHO) doesn't belong.
    http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/Default.aspx?id=329340&mp=V1

Canon 40D, 28-135mm, 50mm f/1.8, 10-22mm, 70-300, 580 EXII, ST-E2, 500D Diopter
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2009
    Thanks, CyberSteak. I agree, but what exactly did you mean by "doesn't belong?" Trash it?
    CyberSteak wrote:
    Those are some great pictures. #7 (IMHO) doesn't belong.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Some good stuff goin' on!

Nice idea, but the reflected light doesn't work for me here because of the hotspot that's in sun on the left and hits his face - you might be able to lift the un-sunny side and darken the hotspot a little in processing to balance them more, but since you have some other really good shots, it may not be worth it....

Reeeealllly nice. He definitely has a Justin Chambers look going on, doesn't he?

Nice eyes, but the crop is too extreme for me. I don't mind tight crops, but this one seems unbalanced somehow. I think if you're going to cut tight across his forehead like that in landscape there needs to be some negative space to one side or the other. Is there room int he original to play with the crop and open it out a bit?

The light's a little harsh for me, but the truck, pose and smile are really nice.

#5 Another reaallly nice shot. Because the hotspots are on his hair in this one and ALL of his face is bathed in reflected light, I think it works very nicely with that warm gold glow.

#6 I'm confused by this one - there isn't enough of the background to set the scene for me, yet it calls attention to itself rather than being neutral. I

#7 I actually like this one on its own merit, even if it's not a "typical" senior shot.

#8 Clone out those branches growing out of his head and this is a MAJOR keeper - best of the set in many ways.

I'm sure they are THRILLED with these - good job all round!
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    WOW!! Thank you for all that, I really appreciate it you taking the time to notice and write all this great stuff. It's alway nice to have opinions and critique from others because there is always something that totally escapes me. Like the branches coming out of his head. I do have "broader" originals than the crops I did so I'm glad you mentioned those too. :D
    divamum wrote:
    Some good stuff goin' on!

Nice idea, but the reflected light doesn't work for me here because of the hotspot that's in sun on the left and hits his face - you might be able to lift the un-sunny side and darken the hotspot a little in processing to balance them more, but since you have some other really good shots, it may not be worth it....

Reeeealllly nice. He definitely has a Justin Chambers look going on, doesn't he?

Nice eyes, but the crop is too extreme for me. I don't mind tight crops, but this one seems unbalanced somehow. I think if you're going to cut tight across his forehead like that in landscape there needs to be some negative space to one side or the other. Is there room int he original to play with the crop and open it out a bit?

The light's a little harsh for me, but the truck, pose and smile are really nice.

#5 Another reaallly nice shot. Because the hotspots are on his hair in this one and ALL of his face is bathed in reflected light, I think it works very nicely with that warm gold glow.

#6 I'm confused by this one - there isn't enough of the background to set the scene for me, yet it calls attention to itself rather than being neutral. I

#7 I actually like this one on its own merit, even if it's not a "typical" senior shot.

#8 Clone out those branches growing out of his head and this is a MAJOR keeper - best of the set in many ways.

I'm sure they are THRILLED with these - good job all round!
  • Options
    gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    nice shots, he should loose the patchy pre-teen scruff though.... if ya cant grow it, don't wear it. Looks terrible.
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Really nice work. 2 through 5 I really like as well as 8. The light in 5 is gorgeous.

1 Love the light and the pose, but as Diva pointed out, the hotspots are a problem.
    6 feels flat in terms of the light, esp. compared to the other ones.
    7 his skin seems to almost be glowing. Sorry.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Well, I kind of agree with you on this, but farbeit for me to tell him to shave. In the end, they are HIS pictures, not mine. rolleyes1.gif
    gavin wrote:
    nice shots, he should loose the patchy pre-teen scruff though.... if ya cant grow it, don't wear it. Looks terrible.