Options

A few more macros

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
edited June 20, 2005 in Holy Macro
I've been taking a lot of pics recently- please do tell me to stop if it gets too much.
Appreciate feedback on these

First a marauding bug gets it's come-uppance

CRW_4173c.jpg

CRW_4176c.jpg

A couple of flies

CRW_4178c.jpg

CRW_4187c.jpg

A couple of flowers- these were taken using the exact same settings as the macros above.

CRW_4249c.jpg

CRW_4257c.jpg

and lastly couple of damsel fly shots I took to check if the flash system was giving different colour effects to sunlight.

first flash system

CRW_4240c.jpg

Now Natural light

CRW_4241c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    Wow. clap.gif Insane details, awesome series! thumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Wow. clap.gif Insane details, awesome series! thumb.gif

AJ
    Thanks Muskydude. Think I've taken too many pictures of flies- they are beginning to look like motorbikes to me. ne_nau.gif
    Was quite pleased how the lawn daisy came out though even if it did turn out to have some other wildlife.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2005
    Amazing shots, keep 'em coming. I never knew flies could be so interesting.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Thanks Thomas,
    Yes flies do seem to come in an amazing array of paint jobs/ textures.
    Brian V.
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    tmlphoto wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif I like the fly shots the best!
  • Options
    KenundrumKenundrum Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    wow- those flies look almost surreal- as if they were rendered by a computer- but obviously they weren't. nice details captured
    Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere. And sometimes you find yourself, in the middle of nowhere
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 20, 2005
    i've said it once, i'll say it again - awesome! I really think what does it for me is that you are very good at capture the bugs on a nice bright leaf and keep the background very dark. this makes it so dramatic and clean. wow!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited June 20, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    i've said it once, i'll say it again - awesome! I really think what does it for me is that you are very good at capture the bugs on a nice bright leaf and keep the background very dark. this makes it so dramatic and clean. wow!
    The bugs are side-lit by a diffuse light source and the lighting IS very dramatic. That also accounts for the darker backgrounds. Are you using hand held off camera flash with a diffuser for your lighting LV? Very nice series.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    The bugs are side-lit by a diffuse light source and the lighting IS very dramatic. That also accounts for the darker backgrounds. Are you using hand held off camera flash with a diffuser for your lighting LV? Very nice series.
    Quite correct the flash is mounted low and to the left- see here for a pic of the rig.
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=13654064

Just use a home-made diffuser on the end plus the wide angle diffuser is pulled out and in place on the flashgun.
    I did use a handheld flash in one of the pics in a previous series, but found it bit tricky hand holding both the flash and the camera and taking a pic. :D

Brian V.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2005
    Thanks all for the comments. Encouragement is always welcome.

Funny about the flies- I'm trying not to photograph them anymore- On Dpreview 300D/350D forum I've been nicknamed "Lord of the Flies". rolleyes1.gif

Brian V.
  • Options
    REECEPHOTOREECEPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Outstanding!!!
    The thing I love the most about your photos is the sharpness do you use a tri or mono pod??? I find I miss to many shots if I try to use the pod on bugs. Maybe a spider but no flying bugs thats for sure there to busy and fast.
    It's not the speed that'll kill ya
    It's the sudden stops!
    http://reecephoto.smugmug.com
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jepg
    src="http//www.danasoft.com/sig/JeffReece.jpg">
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2005
    REECEPHOTO wrote:
    Outstanding!!!
    The thing I love the most about your photos is the sharpness do you use a tri or mono pod??? I find I miss to many shots if I try to use the pod on bugs. Maybe a spider but no flying bugs thats for sure there to busy and fast.
    Thanks reecephoto
    No the shots are hand held manual focus. I tend to set the focus/magnification I want on the lens and then move the rig slowly back and forth and fire (using a remote trigger on the back of the handle of the flash bracket) when the subject appears in sharp focus. Used to only get about 20% of the shots in sharp focus, but now get about 80% of the shots in sharp focus- amazing what practice does for you.
    Actually just thought I have actually used a monopod sometimes but not on the ground- had it on a small ball joint at right angles so it sat on my shoulder- can help stabilise the system.

Brian V.