Options

Zombie Walk, Hollywood Blvd., 10/17/09

Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in Street and Documentary
In Los Angeles, a zombie fan group decided to get dressed as zombies and go for a train ride to Hollywood. So I decided to go shoot the walk.

I used an ultrawide lens so that I can get up and close rather than viewing from a far.

Basically, the zombies met at the station, got on the train, and then walked up and down Hollywood Blvd. It was amusing at times but they were always on the move so it's tough to shoot a moving mob of zombies. I tried to show a sense of movement so the images often have blurs in them.

Went for a desaturated contrasty look you often see with these type of stuff so it looks less realistic.

1. zombies on a Trainnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
684834332_8ZfF9-M.jpg

2. Off the Train onto Hollywood Blvd.
684923477_K65k8-M.jpg

3. Out on Hollywood now.
684940116_SAGoQ-M.jpg

4. Meal time.
685004207_TbuMG-M.jpg

5. Girls, Girls, Girls.
685010144_M9NYA-M.jpg

6. Ooooooo Bhaaaaaaaa Maaaaaaaa
Oooooooo Bhaaaaaaaaaa Maaaaaaaaaa
685048936_CCmZE-M.jpg

7. Got Gas?
685080490_vEnHB-M.jpg

More here

Comments

• Options
    matrix311matrix311 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    wow those people are hardcore Zombies. That would be freaky seeing all those out and about.

great photo's by the way.
    Eric Schlaht, Phoenix Arizona Photographerhttp://www.esimaging.net - http://esimaging.blogspot.com/

Canon 7D, Canon 40D, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 50mm f/1.8, 430EX
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2009
    Thanks,
    everything was taken in jest. Without the post processed look, they weren't that scary and everyone seemed amused by it all.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    Thanks,
    everything was taken in jest. Without the post processed look, they weren't that scary and everyone seemed amused by it all.

I'd love to see it without the post processing. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    Thanks for the comments.
    In Lightroom, I decreased the vibrance so the skin tones look much more gray. Otherwise, the zombies aren't that ashen looking and without the heavy contrast, they aren't that menacing at all.
  • Options
    EZPZEZPZ Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    In Los Angeles, a zombie fan group decided to get dressed as zombies and go for a train ride to Hollywood. So I decided to go shoot the walk.

I used an ultrawide lens so that I can get up and close rather than viewing from a far.

Basically, the zombies met at the station, got on the train, and then walked up and down Hollywood Blvd. It was amusing at times but they were always on the move so it's tough to shoot a moving mob of zombies. I tried to show a sense of movement so the images often have blurs in them.

Went for a desaturated contrasty look you often see with these type of stuff so it looks less realistic.

More here

Tom, I love the post on these. Nice job.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Tee Why wrote:
    Thanks for the comments.
    In Lightroom, I decreased the vibrance so the skin tones look much more gray. Otherwise, the zombies aren't that ashen looking and without the heavy contrast, they aren't that menacing at all.

But isn't that part of the story? And in terms of photos - given that we're not dumb enough to think that this is a "real" zombie invasion, isn't the most interesting part of this - or shouldn't it be - the reactions of bystanders to the zombie invasion? Just asking.:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2009
    I was more interested in presenting them as I previsualized, kind of like publicity shot for the walk or as if it was for a zombie movie. I wasn't interested in documenting the public reaction.

As for reactions, most laughed, looked amused, and some didn't even seem to notice but no real outrageous reactions.
  • Options
    bradpowellphotobradpowellphoto Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    Great series! We had a zombie walk in Vancouver this year and the walk started in a downtown mall. A friend of mine was across the street and had no idea what was going on as he watched dozens of zombies pouring out of the mall entrance onto the streets. He said the first few minutes were a little weird until he saw their laughing friends accompanying them. Your processing of the images in lightroom is just great too!
    “Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” Helmut Newton

My Vancouver Island Photography Website http://bradpowellphoto.com
    My Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/bradpowellphoto
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Thank you. I think the reaction was similar here except on Hollywood, they may be stunned for a shorter period of time before the laughing starts.

As for the lightroom processing, I'm not a fan of the HDR like look, but I thought this event called for that look.