Options

Equipment for kid/family shots

kofakofa Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited November 2, 2009 in Cameras
Dear Grinners,

Edit: Finally, I took the Nikon route (a friend is upgrading to the D90, so I bought his D80, will take his D90 kit lens (18-105 VR) plus his used 50 mm f/1.8 prime).

I currently have an old an trusty, but somewhat limited Olympus Uzi (C-2100). It has served me well, but there are a few things I'd like to improve: AF speed, low-light shots (not night shots, simply artificial lighting in an average home). I find that the camera has problems with kids, who, by their very nature, are not likely to sit still and wait (especially given that I like candids - the Uzi's 380 mm EFL lens serves me well there).
The upgrade paths are:
  • another bridge camera
  • DSLR.
Let's see the SLR options (because of AF speed and better control of DOF). I'm on a tight budget, say US $1300 at most now; might be able so spend some more every now and then. Important factors:
  • price
  • size
  • no stroboscopic flash for AF assist (if AF lamp is available on a small external flash that fits the budget, it's OK, but I do truly hate stroboscopic AF assist lights)
Less important is video (for occasional use, I can do without it).

All my friends shoot Nikon, so I could sometimes borrow gear from them, but I'm open to other suggestions. One option I'm considering is the Nikon D-5000 + 18-105 VR (total price with tax is about US $1150 here in Hungary), with later an SB-400 flash ($200) and a 70-300 VR ($800). Another is the Olympus E-620 + twin lens kit, for roughly $1100, or maybe the single lens kit + 70-300 for candids. Unfortunately I know of no affordable DSLR but the entry-level Nikons that give me non-stroboscopic AF assist light, but as I said, a small external flash would be acceptable (even desirable) if it solves the problem.

Advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Kofa

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited October 20, 2009
    You might consider an older camera model with faster AF capabilities. Rapidly moving kids can have a closing rate faster than race cars because it is the rate of change that matters, not absolute speed, and at close proximity kids can easily exceed the AF capabilities of most cameras.

The dSLR option is easily the best bet, but fast focusing lenses are also recommended. What you really need is a sports setup for the most consistent results. No camera will yield 100 percent keepers but a true sports system would give best results.

Technique is also something that can be improved with practice. Shooting kids moving across from your position is almost always easier for the camera to track than when they are moving towards or away, and if the motion is erratic AI-Servo focus is no help at all. (AI-Servo requires a somewhat constant predictable motion in order to calculate AF with any accuracy.)

If you want Nikon I would suggest maybe a used D200 with an appropriate lens, and yes, a flash will help.

I see that KEH.com has a Nikon D200 in "EX" condition for $600 USD, as an example. Quality lenses will kill your budget but I do not recommend consumer zooms for your application. The D200 does have an AF drive \screw so even some screw-drive lenses might suffice.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I'm one of those, take lots of pictures and pick out the best type. I love my D90, this summer, we did a family portriat with family. I set up my D90 with the SB900 in rapid fire mode, the D90 has a timer, but also has the ability to shoot up to 9 images after the timer times out. So I set up the camera on timer, ran in front of the camera, sat on the couch and bam, 9 shots fire off! We found 2 where my little nephews were looking great! I really love that approach for family stuff.

For candids, I tend to just keep shooting! I do agree it works better with faster glass! I love my EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 lens for just that reason. My biggest problem is getting the kids to do what I want them to, of course, I have foster children, so it's not as easy as the typical child.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Take a really long hard look at the Olympus line.....great cams, some what smaller bodies and fantastic glass and lower priced than Nikon and Canon......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    I recommend the following which will give you amazing bang for the buck with excellent lowlight performance and fast focussing::

Used Canon XT $350
    Used Canon 50mm 1.8 $65
    Used Tamron 28-75 f2.8 $300
    New Sigma EF-530 Flash $220
    New Joe Demb FlipIt $30

Alternatives would be:

Used Canon 20D $250
    Used Canon 30D $450
    New Canon XSi $550
    Used Canon 580EX II $370

All prices are estmated/average US $. While olympus have bodies that sell for $400 (effectively saving you about $150 over a new Canon body) their lenses cost over twice as much with very little available on the used market. Just buying the olympus equivalent to the Canon 50mm 1.8 it will cost $150 more and have over a stop less in performance.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Used equipment
    Dear All,

first of all, thanks to all of you, your comments are really useful. It's nice to see the different options (e.g. I've never really researched Canon gear).

Please understand that I live in Hungary. The used equipment market is not as lively as in the US. Buying used equipment in the US via the Internet is not really an option:
    • if anything goes wrong, I cannot simply return the goods;
    • shipping + customs + taxes increase the price substantially;
    • not all shops would even ship to my country.
    Also, while the 17-55 f/2.8 Nikon is probably a superb piece of glass, it costs about as much as I have for the whole kit. I don't need and cannot afford pro quality equipment, I just want to improve on what I have. Currently there are situations where 1 shot is of acceptable quality out of 10; if I can raise that to 3 or 5, that's a great improvement. For now I need something that will get me started, and can be improved later on. I realise that just about any recent camera, be it bridge or DSLR, will wipe the floor with what I have now.

Of course I don't just want to shoot at home, under artificial light, but also outdoors, where even a bridge cam could produce great results. I'd still prefer the DSLR for DOF control, though.

So thanks again for your valuable input!

Kofa
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    the d5000 and kit lens will serve you fine. The image quality will be good but not stellar and low light capability will not be great.

I would reccomend agaisnt the sb400 and get the sb600. You can not bounce the flash off the ceiling in portrait mode with the sb400 and most flash diffusers will not fit on it. I am afarid that you will simply have to sell it later as you progress in your skills and buy another flash anyway. The sb600 is a much more versatile flash.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Vatera
    Kofa,
    I would check VATERA for an Olympus E560 or E30 if you can afford the upper mid range.....along with the kit lens will serve you well for many years.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited November 2, 2009
    Took a used D80
    Dear All,

thanks for all your advice. Finally, I took the Nikon route (a friend is upgrading to the D90, so I bought his D80, will take his D90 kit lens (18-105 VR) plus his used 50 mm f/1.8 prime).

Thanks for your time - keep shooting!

Kofa
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,915 moderator
    edited November 2, 2009
    kofa wrote:
    Dear All,

thanks for all your advice. Finally, I took the Nikon route (a friend is upgrading to the D90, so I bought his D80, will take his D90 kit lens (18-105 VR) plus his used 50 mm f/1.8 prime).

Thanks for your time - keep shooting!

Kofa

Congratulations. clap.gif

Feel free to share some examples from your camera/lens in one of our "Shots" forums.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums