Options

Which Feisol tripod will you get

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in Accessories
http://www.feisol.net/feisol-foursection-tripods-ct3471-with-tripod-p-2.html
The 1st goes up to 60inch and no center column so it can go down to ground level too. But folded length and weight is bit more than 2nd option.

http://www.feisol.net/feisol-ct3441s-with-center-column-tripod-p-38.html

the 2nd option is great for traveling, less weight and folded size, but with included center column it cannot go to ground level, and when using it without center column total size is smaller than my eye level.

I will be shooting Macros, Architecture and of course Landscapes:D

I cannot find if price includes shipping within USA ?, my friend is coming from USA he can carry the tripod so i will save duties and extra shipping.

My current tripod is cheap 30$ Sony it was about to kill my whole camera gear....:cry
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Have you looked at Giottos....I use a 4 section and you can get them with a short center column (6-8 inches) or use them without center column.

They have them in aluminum ,Carbon, and basalt (lava).

An EBAY LINK ............this one is very much lie the one I use and same resellar.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JabbaJabba Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    There's a pretty good thread on here about the Feisols- Some good info there, and right on the money about their quality and value.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009

I cannot find if price includes shipping within USA ?, my friend is coming from USA he can carry the tripod so i will save duties and extra shipping.

My current tripod is cheap 30$ Sony it was about to kill my whole camera gear....:cry

Shipping info here:

http://www.feisol.net/info_pages.php?pages_id=8?osCsid=jmljtsi91pb6465fuaqf4oq8l7
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Feisol now make an offset center column so you can bend it sideways and get it right on the ground.

http://www.feisol.com/english/VH-40HA.htm

I've got their smallest traveling legs and find it a little top heavy with the center column unless the legs are extended out a fair way.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2009
    I have a couple of thoughts:

1. Check out this page - this is the tripod I purchased earlier this year, the Feisol 3371. I believe this might be a bit more than you need for what you indicate you are planning to shoot, especially after my recent trip to Acadia NP, ME, USA (see next comment). You might also get a better perspective of the size of this tripod from this thread.

2. On the DGrin shootout to Acadia NP, I was very, very surprised to see the trip Marc Muench used. It was a teany, tiny little thing, much like this PRO 614 DX but without the center column. I asked him if he had any problems with vibration from wind, etc with such a light support system to which he answered, basically, "No." I saw him mount a 1-series Canon with the 45 TS-E and the new 17mm TS-E, shooting without a cable release.

FWIW - after the trip to Acadia when I used the tripod of virtually EVERY shot (a new thing for me), I think I'm in iloveyou.gif !!

I hope that helps some....
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hello guys thanks for response ! Tripod is surly difficult purchase than deciding between nikon and canon.

I was looking at Manfrotto 055xprob it is available in Pakistan, ships to me without any issues, less price will allow me to save for ball head. Center column can be adjusted horizontaly it can go to ground level and upto my eye level.

It has everything but Not made of Carbon Fiber and no smaller when folded. I was looking at user reviews and they are very positive !headscratch.gif

Any thoughts ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    Hello guys thanks for response ! Tripod is surly difficult purchase than deciding between nikon and canon.

I was looking at Manfrotto 055xprob it is available in Pakistan, ships to me without any issues, less price will allow me to save for ball head. Center column can be adjusted horizontaly it can go to ground level and upto my eye level.

It has everything but Not made of Carbon Fiber and no smaller when folded. I was looking at user reviews and they are very positive !headscratch.gif

Any thoughts ?

Manfrotto makes that series of tripod in carbon fiber. It is well respected, but my experience in handling both is that the Manfrotto is slightly more bulky, as it has leg clamps vs twist, and I do not believe the column can be removed and used as legs only. I think they are slightly heavier too, but only just.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    Yup center column cannot be removed. But it gives maneuverability that i require with great hight and less $ reviews related to stability are good.

I think i have to give up carbon fiber :cry Since Manfrotto is popular brand, i guess i can sale it when i am rich enough to afford Fiesol mwink.gif

My Gallery
  • Options
    alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2009
    When looking at the same issue two months ago, to replace my too-heavy to hike Manfrotto, I went for the Benro A198 Flexpod ($134 at B&H). It has a crossbar so it goes very low, and while not carbon (those are way more expensive) it is certainly a lot lighter than my Manfrotto tripod and can fold small enough to travel. I love it and it is now my most used tripod.
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2009
    alexf wrote:
    When looking at the same issue two months ago, to replace my too-heavy to hike Manfrotto, I went for the Benro A198 Flexpod ($134 at B&H). It has a crossbar so it goes very low, and while not carbon (those are way more expensive) it is certainly a lot lighter than my Manfrotto tripod and can fold small enough to travel. I love it and it is now my most used tripod.

Wow this seems to be excellent ! how will you rate the over all stability and how solid it is compared to manfrotto.

My Gallery